Car & Bike Bike advice for novice

Nothing is available for buying :( ... waiting list

CB Honda Unicorn Dazzler -- test ride pending

CB Honda Unicorn -- test ride done ... excellent experience :)

CB Honda Twister -- test ride done ... nothing compared to Unicorn in case of power :( ... so cancelled

Yamaha FZ-S 16 -- test ride done ... amazed by performance but not for long ride (30 km daily) :( ... also mileage is low ... but it's still on list :D

@ To CB Honda Unicorn Dazzler owners :

Do u think naked chain set can be problem? Is there any option for full chain cover? ... Low maintenance is one of the basic need of this purchase

Food for thought:

If a manufacturer does offer a naked/exposed chain setup, they would make sure that the materials used are top-notch.

It would also be easier to maintain, without the chain cover.

Just oil the chain and check for slack, periodically.

Good luck with the purchase! :)

My situation is also just like U...

driving Activa from age of 10 and still driving it after getting 18....

My hopes are bigger that urs : Thunderbird...:p

thetoxicmind said:
Food for thought:

If a manufacturer does offer a naked/exposed chain setup, they would make sure that the materials used are top-notch.

It would also be easier to maintain, without the chain cover.
Just oil the chain and check for slack, periodically.

Good luck with the purchase! :)

Thanks man ... but again check the statement which u r saying (in bold fonts) ... Can u give any review link supporting your view about chain setup in Dazzler? I'll really appreciate it :)

ashvarybabul said:
My situation is also just like U...

driving Activa from age of 10 and still driving it after getting 18....

My hopes are bigger that urs : Thunderbird...:p

:) ... nice choice Thunderbird :D
@ To CB Honda Unicorn Dazzler owners : [/B]

Do u think naked chain set can be problem? Is there any option for full chain cover? ... Low maintenance is one of the basic need of this purchase
Please reply ... or let me know any review link for this ... all the review say good things but want to know from someone who already have this bike for atleast 1 month and use it daily for more than 5 km at least

geek ashish said:
@AbhiFusion

Thanks mate.

R15 has very poor low end torque and it can't go offroad (& very bad roads).

@All

those who think bigger ( read : more powerful) bike means more risk, should experience such bikes for atleast 100 Kms

Plz don't talk without proper experience.
thetoxicmind said:
1. Members here are entitled to their suggestions/opinions.

2. DO NOT assume that people here have no prior experience over these matters. It's Ok, only if you know it for a fact.

Last but not the least, with the thread title "Bike advice for novice", one would expect members here, to suggest less powerful (150-160cc) motorcycles, keeping in mind the OP's safety & exp.

So please do keep these points in mind, before you make statements like that.

@kekerode

Sorry about the OT.

Have you finalized your purchase? :)
Sorry for goin OT.. but i wud agree here TTM.. people always think that riding a litre bikes is more risky than the normal commuter bikes.. they are not actually..

If I may, O-Ring chains(Naked/Exposed) are superior as compared to their conventional counterparts as they last 5 times as long. The conventional chain also requires frequent adjustments as compared to O-Ring ones and wear out the sprockets at a faster rate. There wont be any issues as such with the O-Ring. You just have to lube them at 1k kms(or at an acceptable interval of time).Since they are exposed to surroundings they do catch a lot of dirt and grime. The lubricating procedure is very simple and can be done by yourself. Nothing like going down with a spanner and getting your hands dirty. :p

By the way,the R15 can tackle offroading as well as other bikes. I have ridden it extensively on village tracks. Check out xbhp as well and see how many R15s have been Leh'ed this time round. :) The only thing to watch out for is it's alloy wheels,they are quite weak and can bend if you do high speeds on potholed roads.

but again check the statement which u r saying (in bold fonts) ... Can u give any review link supporting your view about chain setup in Dazzler? I'll really appreciate it

It was a general statement, mate.

Take for instance, some of the popular touring motorcycles that sport a naked chain setup.

Not sure about the Dazzler though. Only reason for concern would be the regular (but easier) maintenance that would be required and the dreaded rainy season.

Sorry for goin OT.. but i wud agree here TTM.. people always think that riding a litre bikes is more risky than the normal commuter bikes.. they are not actually..

Well, that was a generalized comment to highlight the kind of responses one could expect, nothing more. :)

And yeah, the 'people' you are referring to, are those with enough exp. riding motorcycles. That's not the case here.

Being 'able to ride' it is one thing, you should also be able to 'handle' the machine well.

(Why do you think the PROs have beginners start off with less powerful motorcycles, as far as SBKs are concerned?)

It's like asking a beginner to hop onto a BUSA and let IT take the person for a ride...last one? :)

Ok, enough OT. ta! :p

If I may, O-Ring chains(Naked/Exposed) are superior as compared to their conventional counterparts as they last 5 times as long. The conventional chain also requires frequent adjustments as compared to O-Ring ones and wear out the sprockets at a faster rate. There wont be any issues as such with the O-Ring. You just have to lube them at 1k kms(or at an acceptable interval of time).Since they are exposed to surroundings they do catch a lot of dirt and grime. The lubricating procedure is very simple and can be done by yourself. Nothing like going down with a spanner and getting your hands dirty.

Yeah, I read that some place.

Thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge and experience.

Even i would like to add a little experience here regarding unicorn (the OPs currently chosen bike until he tests Dazzler)

The unicorn is quite a good city commuter, but the stock tyres are pretty risky IMO. Also, the bike tends to touch the road everytime i took a 60kmph left-corner.

Recommendation: Front tyre upgrade: Slightly fatter section Dunlops/Michelin, Rear tyre upgrade: 100~110/90 Dunlop Geo-cruisers or Michelins. May bring the FE down a bit, but the bike remains much more planted to the road, hence making your ride safer.

I guess same goes for dazzler.

After tyre upgrades, i feel these bikes, will be the best for you.

@ttm.. please let me have another OT :p

i hopped on the Busa without any prior exp. wid superbikes.. and I did fine.. :p and that was from 150cc --> 1300CC

maybe i was bit careful.. so i am still alive.. :p

^^ I agree with kauzy but cant deny TTM's point here. the fact remains that these bikes are monsters waitin to be unleashed and they need to be tamed. TBH Busa is not very difficult on the rider but if u really wanna test a riders skills then it has to be the Ninja. Havent really had a chance to ride the beast but have tried Busa and it was a well balanced bike (although i despise the looks). Also even if i don consider the litre bikes, I do have to mention that the point is novice riders think its all about the power. I have seen so many new bike riders (aged between 18-22) trying to outrace each other without knowing the dynamics of the machine or the consequences of their action.

Ohh..... I see that this thread has grown a few new shoots after I left.......

Good...... Neway, Like I'hav always maintained, it takes skill to handle more power..... It's true for bikes & cars & all other types of machines.

If the 'experienced' riders have a problem with my views, I really don't care........ I have a few thousands of kilometers under my hood as well.......

Come on man..... I have been riding since I was 10 (Bajaj Sunny!!!) & driving since I was 13-14 (Daewoo Matiz!!!).......

It's just that I don't consider myself 'experienced' coz I know that the day I overestimate my skills is the day I start losing grip of them......

So, OP, be wise..... learn to ride well first..... once u get that, the experience will elevate u to higher levels all by itself...... U won't need to ask 'experienced' riders for tips then!!!

To all the 'experienced' riders, I am sorry if I offended u..... Actually, I am getting allergic to crap these days.........!!!

So, I would still suggest u opt for the CB Unicorn (I read u liked it) or the FZ-16/S or the Pulsar.

@ Kauzy: One of my friends has a CBR 600 which I use quiet often...... No, even I don't die...... But I know how to handle the power...... how to respect it; I believe u too do the same. :)

Our friend here doesn't even know the basics of riding...... he still has to complete his internship...... That's why I suggest he opts for a smaller bike. Better to make mistakes with 14BHP than to make mistakes with 20-22BHP chugging under our bums.....!!!

The additional horses will make the lessons that much tougher in case of mistakes!!! Ultimately, the bike won't be the one making mistakes...... it would be the rider.

nehaladsul said:
To all the 'experienced' riders, I am sorry if I offended u..... Actually, I am getting allergic to crap these days.........!!!
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That was hilarious man. And I agree with your point. I have close to 40k kilometres on different bikes under my belt and I sooo agree

kauzy said:
i hopped on the Busa without any prior exp. wid superbikes.. and I did fine.. :p and that was from 150cc --> 1300CC

maybe i was bit careful.. so i am still alive.. :p

thetoxicmind said:
Being 'able to ride' it is one thing, you should also be able to 'handle' the machine well.

^ The statement is pretty clear and still stands.

Anyway, looks like nehaladsul has summed it up for me. :)

neways.. back to the topic.. :p

heard the p220S version is good.. even the ZMR seems great.. test ride the bikes before buying.. and just don't go for the looks.. looks can be deceptive :p

^^ I have tried both & while the P220S is really good, the ZMR is simply amazing.....

I don't intend to suggest these bikes to the OP...... just saying that these bikes are really good IMHO........ :p

Karizma was always on the list of the bikes that could handle well in the traffic n through my personal experience Pulsars are yet to reach that level and that includes P220. M sure the ZMR has the handling qualities too like the Karizma. Although the fairing is unwantedly huge it does look good (its subjective though).

i'm having a Karizma -R ......... a dream bike ....superb handling and amazing pickup and speed ......... get a Hero Honda don't buy bajaj ........ saying this from personal experience

i suggest you go and get a ZMA or a ZMR (if ur comfy with spending extra 25k ) avoid P220 !!!

Back