Best Wirless router for general use

Hello All ....(hail all)

I wish to start using wirless with my laptop with has got a wireless card built in...
so before buying a router

1) What features should i be looking of in a router for simple home networking. My reqmnt may be 2 wired cnx and the same no of wirless cnx.
2) What brand or any specific models suggsted by any one based on personal experience or use and knowledge
3) what percentage of my orig speed can I expect on my wireless under normal circumstances.
4) what price range should it fall under.

You can easily get one for >2k

Get Linksys WRT54G or Netgear WGR614

I dont know about the Linksys but the Netgear has 4 LAN Ports

both of these are based on the G standard (upto 54 mbps) speed , if you need N standard youll need to shell out ~3.5k , also i dont think your Notebooks would be supporting it

Internet speed are so low in India that youll definitely get full speed , only WLAN file transfers are a bit slower than wired transfers

As already suggested, the WRT54G/WRT54G2 are good options. Also, if you're using a DSL connection, the WAG200G, which is a modem plus router is a good option.

I would suggest a Belkin which is less than 2000/- but performs much better than a Netgear. I had a Netgear earlier and had to change it because it blew out in a power surge. After that I bought a Belkin and the signal strength is much better.

Buffalo routers come highly recommended. If I am not mistaken someone is selling one in the marketplace for Rs. 1600 - check it out.

I had a D-Link which didn't ve that good a range.

Got a Netgear WGR 614 v9 and the range has improved drastically.

But my bluetooth doesn't work anymore. U C laptops ve wifi n BT through the same radio n some routers run on the same freq as the BT :/

BT worked fine with D-Link n doesn't work Netgear. I'm gonna get rid of netgear n try Belkins now as I use Dell BT headsets and ve my Phone, Cam, etc configured through BT.

OP, do look into the BT part if U use it along with wifi.

Edrill said:
As already suggested, the WRT54G/WRT54G2 are good options. Also, if you're using a DSL connection, the WAG200G, which is a modem plus router is a good option.

I am using the WA3002G4. Baught from BSNL. It is not bad at all for 1800/-:eek:hyeah: . Range is pretty OK.

Back