Storage Solutions Best HDD Type for Desktop Storage

What would you prefer as a storage drive on your Desktop

• Total voters
It's been three months in 2015! LOL.

Anyway, as usual, people miss the bigger picture, you buy Seagate, you buy WD, you buy Micromax hard drive, in any case you are giving the money to them, not me. So who is the actual gainer/loser here? Certainly not me, cause I am old school and I value brand value over anything, let me caps and bold that word, ANYTHING.

Well...

I'm nearing 2000 (total) to Single Layer 4.7gb DVD with 8.5gb DVD here and there...and now searching/getting anything from them are almost impossible. Some of them are stored in the CD Bags (and the bags are now hard to find) so they are stored DVD cake box (container that come with).

I'm looking for single large 4TB reliable HDD to replace some of these.

I'm glad (sort off) that I am not the only hoarder here. And I am not saying that with any malice, like I said I have well over 1000 CDs/DVDs and my father has about 200-300 Cassettes + 200-300 Gramophone disks. You can imagine the issues of storing all that. And you are absolutely right about the futility of trying to find any specific thing in this whole collection. A couple of years back I started name-tagging all disks and catalogueing their contents, but got bored in a short time and gave up.

I had a 500G external hdd long back which had almost 1000 movies in it. one day, it died and I lost all the movies, from then on, I stopped hoarding data/movies. I could find almost anything on internet when ever I wanted so I just watch movies on streaming whenever possible and even delete the downloaded movies once I watch them. it is less stressful that way.

My best friend has over 800 cd cum dvds. He has written them since yr 2k5. Now he even might have crossed 1.4k mark as well.
We have tried almost all available medias at lamington Rd. ranging from the Cheapest Princo dvd which use to cost Rs 6 to the expensive Sony and HP. Though some cheap media died after good 5 yrs or so, others are still up and running. Moserbaer though was the most trusted brand that times and it use to come in two flavours with price gap of 2 Rs.
I have all my media collection labelled thoroughly which sums up to may be 300 cd/dvds.
At time labeling job use to get tedious due to Ltd. space on the media so I used a tool to keep track.

Left writing dvds/cds since yr 2k12. But still cherish the written old memories.
Also noewt using any optic drive since past 4yrs now.

Then it goes on to say that based on regulator suggestions HGST divested in Toshiba. I really dont know what that all is supposed to mean :confused:
It means the Japanese equivalent of SEBI told the company to either reduce or sell off it's share in Toshiba's business. This is done to ensure a free market and prevent monopolistic practices.

The thing is, I don't understand why people get Seagate drives, are they cheap or what? By how much percentage? 10% if not less?
Depends - I needed a 2tb 7200rpm drive. It was down to the seagate barracuda or the wd black series which was some 3k more so i got the seagate.

It's been three months in 2015! LOL.
The 2015 data is an update/extension of the 2014 data. We're discussing HDDs, not wine - so newer is better. LOL :)

cause I am old school and I value brand value over anything, let me caps and bold that word, ANYTHING.
How is any of this relevant? I think I have given money equally to all brands, and after 2 consecutively dead WD Blacks, I have realised brand doesn't mean much by itself.

I don't know what to say.
Then why post? He's right that there isn't a 2TB 7200 rpm WD Blue in India, so you're stuck with either downgrading to a ~5900 rpm WD Green or going with an ultra expensive WD Black.

How is any of this relevant? I think I have given money equally to all brands, and after 2 consecutively dead WD Blacks, I have realised brand doesn't mean much by itself.
Good for you, but PM this idiot after ten years, when you will think otherwise.

Then why post? He's right that there isn't a 2TB 7200 rpm WD Blue in India, so you're stuck with either downgrading to a ~5900 rpm WD Green or going with an ultra expensive WD Black.
What? He said he didn't go for the Black model as it was 3k more expensive, who was talking about anything Blue here?

@ithehappy you should probably get your username changed as it doesn't reflect any Happiness or even basic satisfaction in your posts. Its just complaints and debates.

And this is what everybody seems to be observing in your case.

@ithehappy :you seem to just about abuse someone on every thread you post in.
I guess you were taught a different English than me. So I request you to see the dictionary and find the meaning of the word abuse!

@ithehappy you should probably get your username changed as it doesn't reflect any Happiness or even basic satisfaction in your posts. Its just complaints and debates.

And this is what everybody seems to be observing in your case.
What I will do with my username is none of your business. And no, I don't need to reflect any happiness in matters which I don't agree with. Complaints will be there for stuffs which are complaint worthy.

As I said, my money is not wasted here, so why do I give a damn at first place? I will just post a smiley face symbol when just another "ma Seagate deaaad" topic comes up.

No need to get personal!
--------------------------------------------------
I used to burn DVDs but they become too many after some time. My CD collection starts in the late 90's. Still have some of them. Switched to external HDDs. I maintain two copies of everything, each HD has a backup HD. For family photos/videos/dox I maintain 3 copies - one on the desktop, two backed up on ext HDDs. Mostly Seagate, WD. Was actively looking for Hitachi Deskstar but n/a in India, all they were selling were laptop drives.

Please refrain from making personal remarks and don't take too much load of somebody's preference or dislike of specific brands.
@Jambumali and Eddy check on amazon.in they have Deskstar NAS 4TB drives listed. These are 7200rpm and RAID oriented so they are similar to Reds and Seagate NAS drives but better because they are 7200rpm. I remember seeing a Anandtech review of them which was quite good. Only con is they are relatively new hence not much info about longevity.

Not interested in NAS drives. They are designed for specific use. Actually had bought a WD Red & returned it after reading about their performance. Fortunately for me, the Amazon packing was pathetic and it was DOA, so had no issues in returning!

I've read LOTS of praise for HGST deskstar (on hard forum and other places) But finally got a Toshiba 4TB from Sim Lim square. I'd say it's worth reading reviews for speed and reliability, comparing rupee to gb ratio. There was a post somewhere about failures per thousand drive between HGST and WD/Seagate where HGST was more reliable but Seagate was most cost effective (or something to that effect)

I'm too lazy to google:p

Had around 200 CDs and 600DVDs from 2005-2008

Switched over to HDDs from 2009 when I realised almost all CD and DVD has become unreadable.

Had 10 TB of storage in my PC in 2013, could have gone for more but then I realised, it's better to download stuff when you need rather than archive yourself ( assuming all the things you store are non-personal, easily available over the internet stuff ).

Back