Best bet in 32'' and 42''.

I would love if someone could prepare a SidhuPunjab's alike guide for buying large screens/TVs, both LCDs and Plasmas. Objective guide.

At least 32'' LCD and 42'' LCD and Plasma best buy, as are 4850 and 4870 in the graphic cards industry :hap2:

Apart from the above, I'm looking for suggestions:

a) 42'' Plasma/LCD TV in living room + 24'' Computer monitor(likely US DELL or TN ASUS.).

b) Old CRT 21'' Sony in living room(upgrade to 42'' some day next year) + 32'' LCD as monitor + TV.

Won't 32'' be overkill as a monitor? I'll be about 3-4 feet away from monitor screen. UPDATE: I can change my setup to increase distance from the screen, if that matters.

If any of those choice between (a) and (b) are in your mind, please suggest the respective size tv as well!

It'll mainly be utilized for Cable TV or Tata Sky(or whoever in future has better content), DVDs, and "PS3/Wii Gaming Proof"(although I have no plans to buy a gaming console in near future). I/We don't watch a lot of movies, let alone downloading or buying a lot of 1080p HD content.(but who knows :p ).

So so so, for 32'' I'm getting a quote of Rs. 44k for KLV-32W400A good enough? ;)

Around the forums I have read Chaos and many others preferring plasma(very honestly, I don't know almost anything about them). How would they perform for gaming? If plasma 42'' it is PV80 (VIERA TH-42PV80H) which you guys recommend right?

Which other 42 incher? Any 40/42'' from Bravia line? I can redeem good discounts for a Sony.

well if u go for lcds the best would be the sony W series and 44k for 32inch W series is a good deal. but using a 32inch tv for monitor is a bad idea it will be hard on ur eyes.

about panasonic plasma if u read the review in HDTVTEST.co.uk they mentioned about fan noise
The whirring noise of the cooling fans, and power/brightness-related plasma buzzing may disturb viewers with sensitive ears, but assuming you sit farther than 8 feet away from the screen, these background noise should be adequately masked by normal TV volume

well these noises at night would be annoying.

offcourse plasma tv have advantage in black level and contrast,they have around 30% more contrast then the best of lcds like the sony W400A series.

adder said:
well if u go for lcds the best would be the sony W series and 44k for 32inch W series is a good deal. but using a 32inch tv for monitor is a bad idea it will be hard on ur eyes.
Not sure about how the eyes will feel when this is used as a monitor. I can change my setup to increase distance from the screen, if that matters.

adder said:
about panasonic plasma if u read the review in HDTVTEST.co.uk they mentioned about fan noise
well these noises at night would be annoying.

offcourse plasma tv have advantage in black level and contrast,they have around 30% more contrast then the best of lcds like the sony W400A series.

Good facts, news to me, but I'm not sure I'll find a plasma for a demonstration in my city to compare with a LCD.

I saw a few LCDs today, and 24''/26'' look too small compared to 32'' as a monitor and I have perfect spacing for it. Leaning towards 32'' as a monitor, but I don't know about it's caveats.. other than strain on eyes, and resolution lower than a 30'' monitor.

More opinions please? If I am getting it, I'll hopefully get it in this week itself.

Gurpartap Singh said:
Not sure about how the eyes will feel when this is used as a monitor. I can change my setup to increase distance from the screen, if that matters.

Good facts, news to me, but I'm not sure I'll find a plasma for a demonstration in my city to compare with a LCD.

I saw a few LCDs today, and 24''/26'' look too small compared to 32'' as a monitor and I have perfect spacing for it. Leaning towards 32'' as a monitor, but I don't know about it's caveats.. other than strain on eyes, and resolution lower than a 30'' monitor.

More opinions please? If I am getting it, I'll hopefully get it in this week itself.

well 30 inch monitor would be great but i guess its realy expensive and if i where u i would definetly wouldnt invest that much on a monitor knowing that the prices will go down.

if u use a 32inch lcd like i had u will have to adjust the viewing distance and play with the size of the icon.i looked real funny when i sat at that distance,and some everybody can know what u are doing,ur mails etc.

also about the 40inch lcds from sony the V and W series share the same panel but the bravia engine in W series is far better then V series,even though both are advertised as bravia engine 2.

adder said:
well 30 inch monitor would be great but i guess its realy expensive and if i where u i would definetly wouldnt invest that much on a monitor knowing that the prices will go down.

Even I won't invest in that.

adder said:
if u use a 32inch lcd like i had u will have to adjust the viewing distance and play with the size of the icon.i looked real funny when i sat at that distance,and some everybody can know what u are doing,ur mails etc.

I'll definitely have to make the viewing distance adjustment. And your e-mail fact is hard on my nerves LOL :ashamed: :rofl:

What do you mean by size of icon? Do they look distorted or too big or what?

adder said:
also about the 40inch lcds from sony the V and W series share the same panel but the bravia engine in W series is far better then V series,even though both are advertised as bravia engine 2.

I don't know what people do with 50/60'', very possibly viewing from farther distances. If I'm settling for 32'' for now(which maybe is enough for us :p ), I'll postpone the larger TV purchase for next year, maybe for a 42'' kuro. It's not hard to imagine :p

Now please onto bashing of 32''? I would love to know more caveats on this thing. Will it really look anything better than a normal 24'', or similar?

Moving out to bazar for some rechecks.... :p

Gurpartap Singh said:
Even I won't invest in that.

I'll definitely have to make the viewing distance adjustment. And your e-mail fact is hard on my nerves LOL :ashamed: :rofl:

What do you mean by size of icon? Do they look distorted or too big or what?

I don't know what people do with 50/60'', very possibly viewing from farther distances. If I'm settling for 32'' for now(which maybe is enough for us :p ), I'll postpone the larger TV purchase for next year, maybe for a 42'' kuro. It's not hard to imagine :p

Now please onto bashing of 32''? I would love to know more caveats on this thing. Will it really look anything better than a normal 24'', or similar?

Moving out to bazar for some rechecks.... :p

well i used a V series 32inch sony which is not FHD,so when i sit about 3-4 feet away i could see the image is made up of pixels,so the next level of viewing distance in my case was 8 feet onwards since my bed is at 8feet away,at that distance i will have to increase the size since text is small and also i felt the icons on my destop were small at that distance so i had to increase the size.

if u sit close when reading text u got move ur eyes a lot which is causes lots of strain.

i think u can wait for a bigger size tv such as 40inch upwards.and from next year sony lcds will have sharp ASV panel and most of the lcds will start having LED backlight which will increase the contrast levels and more unifrom brightness and less power consumption and much better blacks withe active LED backlight rivaling blacks produced by plasmas.

u mean normal 24inch like TN based screens,it will surely suck unless u get a SPVA panel or something better.since i have a 22inch tn based lcd i can notice contrast shift. which is why i decided not to get a 24inch TN lcd monitor.

Gurpartap Singh said:

If you want to buy a kuro, buy it now. Pioneer is no longer making any 42 inchers. Their range now starts at 50 and above.

sorry for hijacking your thread Gurpartap . but i m in same hurdle. Distance between my wall and my bed is 10-12 feet.
main purpose : watching HD movies, General Computing and strictly no gaming. :bleh:
I want full HD Panel. saw some Bravia at croma with good price. any particular model suggestion ?
Thanx

cisco_tech said:
sorry for hijacking your thread Gurpartap . but i m in same hurdle. Distance between my wall and my bed is 10-12 feet.
main purpose : watching HD movies, General Computing and strictly no gaming. :bleh:
I want full HD Panel. saw some Bravia at croma with good price. any particular model suggestion ?
Thanx

well a 40inch to 46inch sony W series will be great.it has a far better image processing then V or S series.

But Samsung makes Panel for Sony , Logic Board from Panasonic. Sony just put the logo on their TV. Got to know this from one of my friend.

He said better go for Toshiba > Sharp >Fujitsu > LG . He also advised me that get it from grey like Alfa or from ebay coz nowadays nothing happens to LCD.

cisco_tech said:
But Samsung makes Panel for Sony , Logic Board from Panasonic. Sony just put the logo on their TV. Got to know this from one of my friend.
He said better go for Toshiba > Sharp >Fujitsu > LG . He also advised me that get it from grey like Alfa or from ebay coz nowadays nothing happens to LCD.

well sony and samsung both invested and is called S lcd although its bascically samsung technology.
sony bravia engine is tailor made for lcds ,they also use custom designed backlight.sony bravia stands for BEST RESOLUTION AUDIO VIDEO INTEGRATED ARCHITECHTURE.

now most of professionals review website and online polls puts the sony as the leader in performance.followed clsoely by the samsung.

cisco_tech said:
Thanx

Check the link in my siggy :) At 12 feet, you'll need a freaking huge screen to fully make use of 1080p. But then, if you want to use it as a PC monitor, more resolution is always welcome :)

cisco_tech said:
thanx zhopudey and adder . will mostly get the 40" +. its a one time investment so i should go for full HD.

err...wrong.

If its an one time investment, better to go for a bigger screen :D e.g., a larger 4-series than a smaller 5-series. Or even better, a nice 50" or bigger plasma :hap2:

cisco_tech said:
again visited croma today . and saw this new samsung LA32A550P1
LA32A550P1 LCD TV - television SAMSUNG
Specs are good. and i surprised to see the 1080 Full HD logo on it.
Is it downscaled HD on 32"
I m getting damn confused about these LCDs.

well it is a true full hd tv,the same panel used in the sony KLV-32W400A but the sony produces more contrast and deeper blacks it is more expensive ,but in the grey market its costs only 50k ,i believe Gurpartap Singh got it for 44k .

Back