Beam Fiber upgrades Tariff plans

Unless and until ISPs like BEAM and ACT don't go nationwide, others like YOU, Airtel, BSNL, MTNL will never offer good plans with higher FUP.
These chor companies are not threatened as of now since BEAM/ACT are confined to small area or single city.
They need to go pan India soon.

But before they come, our broadband speed has to be redefined to 2 or 4Mbps. It currently sits at 512kbps.
hey... you have just been heard and kapil sibbal has decided to increase broadband definition to 10mbps.
errr only thing is wait till 2020 :D

What do you download?I think because people do this, that's why fup comes in the first place ,so i think you should expect fup too.

FUP Exists not because of Downloading. It's Because of users Seeding torrents ( ISP has to pay for Each GB in Upload and Download)Read more..
So ISP had to pay huge bills.

I can do 320Gb download even on my 2mbps connection, so i am the cause for FUP?

Not really. America also has FUP. All Netflix has to do is tie up with the broadband providers to not count any data streamed from their website. Airtel did it with Youtube for the 2nd edition of IPL IIRC.

But before they come, our broadband speed has to be redefined to 2 or 4Mbps. It currently sits at 512kbps.

FUP in US is very very generous, like 200GB or more. That works for them. I myself used 15 Mbps down and 5 Mbps up on Verizon FiOS and it was true unlimited. No FUP at all.
On top of that i just checked (went over, not in detail) websites of AT&T Uverse and Time Warner Cable and i see no FUP mentioned.
Probably Comcast has FUP, not idea.

Never Again Take this thing For Granted or so called Smart ISP's like Airtel will offer 4mbps till 10gb and say We comply with TRAI Broadband Requirements. Don't Remember? They have done that in 2011 when 512kbps was to be made minimum speed.

Speaking to Business Line, Mr K. Srinivas, President, Consumer Business, Airtel, said, “The TRAI has suggested that operators should offer minimum speeds of 2Mbps by 2015. We are taking the lead in this direction by doing this right now.” Airtel has named the project as ‘Falcon' to denote the speed.

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com...e-broadband-speed-to-2mbps/article2729488.ece

@swatkats

I did not read the linked article but does the TRAI suggestion say operators should offer 2 Mbps minimum before or after FUP ?
Also TRAI is someone i guess these operators never listen to (??). Also they "suggested" and not mandated.
Also FUPs are ok but the current limits are useless, one has to think before streaming a movie trailer in 1080p because of FUP, keep it to 100GB and more and people should be happy (not talking about download junkies).

Last edited by a moderator:
On top of that i just checked (went over, not in detail) websites of AT&T Uverse and Time Warner Cable and i see no FUP mentioned.
Probably Comcast has FUP, not idea.

mate, I have Argued about this a lot of times. US has 80% of the sites Hosted in their own country even Netflix, Domestic bandwidth costs ISP next to nothing compared to International bandwidth and International Bandwidth availability being cheaper there NO FUP is possible.

Present Broadband Prices in India is Something like 10 Times Costlier than USA. Most of US ISP's don't have an FUP now. Comcast has 300gb and was planning to keep 500Gb as FUP last time i Read. even AT&T More FUP Here

Gigabit Internet FUP FREE is what currently HOTTEST thing in US Broadband.

@swatkats

I did not read the linked article but does the TRAI suggestion say operators should offer 2 Mbps minimum before or after FUP ?
Also TRAI is someone i guess these operators never listen to (??). Also they "suggested" and not mandated.
Also FUPs are ok but the current limits are useless, one has to think before streaming a movie trailer in 1080p because of FUP, keep it to 100GB and more and people should be happy (not talking about download junkies).

512kbps before FUP is mandated anything below that is Not Broadband. ISP's need to think mature develop new Techniques like Caching,Peering and Stuff what ACT,Alliance, Beam are doing.

I also understand ISP's allowing Users to max out their connections at 2,4mbps is an bad idea.
Instead 100,200 or 300Gb FUP with 4,6mbps After FUP with Affordable price tags would be a smarter thing to do right now in the present Indian Broadband Scene. In Which Beam has been successful.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they shouldn't have Discontinued 1660 plan.
The moment i thought of changing of plan they discontinued this and 2mbit/s post fup is not what i can adjust with when multiple people are browsing/streaming at my home. we need at least 4mbit/s. I realized this two days back when we net was slowing down at my end.
I've Requested the management to bring the plan (1499+tax) back which is currently available to existing customers as 25mbit/s up to 70gb -> 4mbit/s unlimited. lets see how they React.

No offense ;)

P3VHjQV.jpg

yeah rub the salt :p
I am gonna use my trash Facebook I'd to put this image on various ISPs facebook pages.
Good idea ...
I even tried calling the 66272727 and it was ringing for long time.... I thought maybe they have reserved the no and coming to Pune soon.... :)
But some guy picked up and when I asked if this is Beam fiber he said no its not .... popat :(

Bsnl charges around 45k pm for 50Mbps with fup I think. Dont know why Hyderabad getting so much affection from all isp's and rest of country treated like dirt?

I think Hyderabad because one ISP might have started the awesome plans and then someone else might have started offering competitive plans. I read / heard that YOU broadband too has a separate plan for Hyderabad customers. This is sick.

Beam is going to kill BSNL in Hyderabad for sure !

Is there anyone actually who is using BSNL in Hyderabad. I doubt. No offense, 90% of my friends have shifted to Beam.
BSNL has VDSL plans which actually can compete with Beam up to Some Extent now But Modems aren't available at any of their exchanges nor their staff is aware of VDSL.

One more thing i observed with Beam from past 6 months. They don't Want to offer Unlimited plans like these . Instead They have improved their Service a lot better. Me personally haven't Faced a single minute of downtime this year.

The Fair Usage Policy is a mandate as per the TRAI (Telecom Regulatory Authority of India) regulations.

http://www.beamtele.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=149&Itemid=104

Even Beam wants to blame TRAI. :wtf:

Back