Basic Handset with GREAT NETWORK RECEPTION..

rtkomar

Adept
Hi all.. I want to buy a damn basic phone used just for calling.. In my native we get very weak signal so I want to buy a phone with great reception.. We have Nokia N8, Nokia 701, Samsung Wave 525, Samsung Star 2 Duos, SE G502, SE W200i, Motorola C168 in my family and none of them catch signal properly.. :( But you know what, old basic Nokia Phones like 3100, 2630, 2700C catch the signal!! I guess phones from other brand don't have that much good transceivers and High end Nokia phones reduce their power utilization to save battery.. Whatever reason, as far as I have seen only basic sets that too many from Nokia catch signal there..

So I decided to buy Nokia 101.. But in Flipkart reviews many users have complained that it has signal loss and voice leakage/loudspeaker problems.. So suggest me a phone with great reception within 2k.. As we have other high end cells, we don't need any other feature..

Questions:-
1. Q: Budget?
A: 2k, Lesser the better

2. Q: Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?

A: Any

3. Q: Preferred display type?
A: Any, even Black and white is okay if its reception is great.

4. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.

A: Nokia gets First preference

5. Q: Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
A: :)

6. Q: Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.

A: No
7. Q: Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Any

8. Q: Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).
A: 2G with Great reception

9. Q: What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?
A: Only for calling

10. Q: Any other requirements?
A: None, Both Single and Dual SIM ones are fine.

11. Q: If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.
A: Nokia 100, Nokia 101

Thanks in Advance.. :)

Not my personal experience, but on IBF, someone who uses his phone in the basement vouches for the Nokia 101, as that's the only one which works over there. Other 'high end' smart'phone's like One X, Nexus etc. somehow do not know how to catch a damn GSM signal.

Not my personal experience, but on IBF, someone who uses his phone in the basement vouches for the Nokia 101, as that's the only one which works over there. Other 'high end' smart'phone's like One X, Nexus etc. somehow do not know how to catch a damn GSM signal.
Oh, So you say that 101 is good? Hmm.. will see..
Some where I read more SAR more strong signal reception & now all players wish to offer low SAR value handset & thus ....
Yeah, that is true I guess.. But Even Nokia N8 and iPhone 4S have high SAR values comparable to Nokia 101.. N8 doesn't catch signal in my place.. Nokia 101 vs. Nokia N8 - GSMArena.com Apple iPhone 4S vs. Nokia 101 - GSMArena.com

I'm also in the lookout for a basic phone just like you (check out my thread here) and I spent pretty much most of today doing research. I also saw about the voice leakage issues and now I've more or less decided on Nokia X1-01. Check out the excellent GSMArena review here: Nokia X1-01 review: Dual-SIM 101 - GSMArena.com

They also mention about the other Nokia phones having voice leakage issues but not this one:

The C2-00 had a problem where the in-call sound would come out of the loudspeaker (quietly, but still) during a call (even though the loudspeaker was supposed to be off). It was an odd problem, which is not present in the Nokia X1-01.

check out my thread here I've more or less decided on Nokia X1-01.

Oh, thanks for your thread link.. :)
And dont buy X1-01 right now.. Two of my friends have that (One more had bought it and returned in three days) and they always complain something about phone hanging now and then, no voice clarity and reception problems!! As all three were having a negative opinion, I didn't ask them exactly what all are the problems they are facing.. I will ask in detail now and will post it for your reference..

Back