Bandwidth reduced after installing TP link extender/repeater

technofast

Huh?
Adept
I recently bought the below TP-Link wi-fi extender to fix some dead spots at my home. I have a TP-link AC1200 dual band router and this extender paired well. However there is a significant reduction in the bandwidth/speed now. I have a 300Mbps connection and after connecting this extender I get around 100Mbps to 150Mbps speed only in my laptop. Will the speed drop like this or did I get a faulty extender or should I return and exchange with something else?

I recently bought the below TP-Link wi-fi extender to fix some dead spots at my home. I have a TP-link AC1200 dual band router and this extender paired well. However there is a significant reduction in the bandwidth/speed now. I have a 300Mbps connection and after connecting this extender I get around 100Mbps to 150Mbps speed only in my laptop. Will the speed drop like this or did I get a faulty extender or should I return and exchange with something else?

Thats normal. if your router is on 2.5ghz max speed is 300mbps. When you add extender, speed becomes 50%. So its around 150mbos. Add noise, overhead and hence speed reduces more.
If the extender has a lan port you can try and do a lan backhaul.

Repeaters will always slash the bandwidth by 50%. I have no idea what is the difference between repeater and extender. To avoid this, I have connected 2nd router with first router using LAN cable.

After installing this extender whatsup video calls are stuttering in a particular area which earlier was not the case. I have an old TP-Link router and maybe I can use that as an extender after configuring it. Will that work?

This 2.5 gig version...you are bound to get lower speeds. If you have ac1200 c6 then go for a dual band version extender. That can be used in mesh with it and i guess you will get very good speeds

Back