Graphic Cards ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT Review

sandy453

Adept
ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT Review | Hardware Secrets

Is Radeon HD 2900 XT a good high-end video? Yes, especially for its price range: with a maximum suggested price of USD 399 for the North-American market it makes a terrific option for those who want more performance than a GeForce 8800 GTS can deliver and don’t want to pay for a GeForce 8800 GTX.

However, we got this feeling that AMD is late for the party. As we got close to the Radeon HD 2900 XT launch date, nVidia released GeForce 8800 Ultra, leaving nVidia once again ahead of the game. And we think that when AMD comes with a competitor to this new nVidia threat, nVidia will probably come out with a new product line.

It is not only that. Radeon HD 2900 XT is the only DirectX 10 product from AMD, while nVidia has currently a complete line of DirectX 10-based video cards, and competing products from AMD are expected to reach the market only by the end of June – giving nVidia plenty of time to do whatever they want, including launching more models.

Whether this huge delay is a reflex of the merger between AMD and ATI is still a mystery to us.

Also, we can’t help thinking about GeForce 7950 GX2. This video card was released one year ago and when we maxed out image quality settings it achieved a superior performance on several games – this video card isn’t DirectX 10 and its HDR capability is really limited compared to newer products, though.

This makes two things clear.

1.> From the tests AMD has got some serious driver issue.

2.> This card doesnt deliver what was expected of it .hence offered at a

significantly lower price.

Although ,I have a glimmer of hope that it may perform better in directx 10 games .:(

Il give you 3 reasons:

1. Looks like honors shared across many games, doesnt warrant the extra power consumption, heat etc.

2. Pathetically pathetic perfomance in DCC/CAD apps...GTS wallops its ass like never before...

3. I dont like it :p

Hope the 2nd gen. cards will do better .. i've got a long time to wait before i make a purchase. .. and definitely the radeon looks better :p ..

deathvirus_me said:
Hope the 2nd gen. cards will do better .. i've got a long time to wait before i make a purchase. .. and definitely the radeon looks better :p ..

Yes looks like the AMD Refresh will be a killer...

hehehe...i know man.....the 2900 did not keep up to our expectations..but i think it has a huge potential which can be tapped but only in due time...let us hope it happens soon.

phoenix said:
hehehe...i know man.....the 2900 did not keep up to our expectations..but i think it has a huge potential which can be tapped but only in due time...let us hope it happens soon.

All its potential will be tapped with a 65nm refresh sooner than later :D

yeah i know.......well lets see......i hope my folks will buy me this thing .... a few more days left for my friend to leave ...

For the Indian market, based on ATI's overall presence and price list and moreover considering the heat levels of the HD 2900XT in a hot/dusty indian env i would stay clear of the the 2900XT unless they usher in a cooler 65nm refresh.. :)

Alias said:
For the Indian market, based on ATI's overall presence and price list and moreover considering the heat levels of the HD 2900XT in a hot/dusty indian env i would stay clear of the the 2900XT unless they usher in a cooler 65nm refresh.. :)

Finally someone sees my point....
The perf isnt worth it....

vij said:
Finally someone sees my point....
The perf isnt worth it....

I thought it was pretty obvious! :p

But seriously, ATI cards tend to more overpriced as well as rare to find then their Nvidia couterparts in India. (Not all dealers have em)

Then when you include the cons like higher power rating and heat factor in India, its pretty much a non brainer decision unless you are a die hard ATi fan!

Messa planning of buying HD 2600XT when it is available in India.If its sensibly priced here ,then its gonna give 8600 series run for its money .

hmmmm wow......ok ill give it a thought...vaise bhi i was thinking of upgradin my CPU first coz ne new cards gonna be a bottleneck on it.....better wait until i get a new system and wait for the verdict on ATis drivers.....i know my buying thread got too long but when it becomes as undecisive as this, i think it would be wiser of me to better wait till it becomes decisive......still i will be sad with my onboard 6100.......god gimme strength

@phoenix

One of the reason I voted against X2900XT was cz its gng to be sourced frm US... its risky proposition with a card like the X2900XT...

After months of delays and much anticipation, ATI has finally come up with the Radeon HD 2900 XT, a DirectX 10 capable GPU meant to compete with Nvidia's GeForce 8 series, and the first big introduction in the PC enthusiast market since AMD acquired the company.

Radeon HD 2900XT board, which is of course based on the R600 core using an 80nm design process. This version features just 512MB of onboard GDDR3 memory clocked at 1656MHz using a 512-bit wide memory bus. Combined with a core clock of 757MHz, the Radeon HD 2900XT can theoretically produce a memory bandwidth of 102.4GB/s, which is greater than that of the GeForce 8800 GTX.

View: ASUS Radeon HD 2900XT review @ TechSpot

yeah i know that.....but still after so much haggling over the topic , i feel it would be best to wait for the final decision and then invest.....

Back