Budget 51-70k Assembling new Gaming Rig over 6 Months - 70K

priyam1309

Disciple
Guys,

The below post may sound ridiculous to many but I am desperate here friends!!!

Since I can not put down 70K at once, I was thinking of getting my PC assembled over a period of 6 Months. Need your help to build a proper config...

Stage I - (Will get my friend's monitor and have all other accessories like Keyboard, Mouse)
1. Mobo - 13K
2. Chipset - 10K
3. RAM (4Gb X 1)
4. DVD Writer
5. HDD 500GB
Stage II-
1. Monitor - 15K (preferably 27")
Stage III -
1. PSU + Chassis - 10K
Stage IV -
1. HDD 1TB - 7K
2. SSD
Stage V -
1. GPU - 15K
Stage VI -
1. UPS
2. RAM 4GB X 1
Later..
Cooler and other stuffs

Template -

1. Q: What is your budget?

2. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    None
  3. Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • N/A

4. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    a. Nothing in Mind
  5. Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Yes, Please see my plan above...

6. Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Bangalore
    • Open to online purchase

7. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No

8. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming
    • Browsing
    • Download rig, 24x7 operation
    • Watching HD movies

9. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • Nope

10. Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Strategy - Civilization 4
    • Racing - Grid at medium to high settings
    • FPS

11. Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Gaming - 1280x728
    2. Desktop - 1440x900

12. Q: Are you looking to overclock?
    • Yes

13. Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 8 64 bit

Well how do you plan to run the rig without a PSU? Or you plan to get that from your friend as well? Also no chassis in stage I? I am doubtful if you would find a 27" monitor in 15k. I'd say at least 20k+ for that.

Well how do you plan to run the rig without a PSU? Or you plan to get that from your friend as well? Also no chassis in stage I?
I was planning to get a Chassis with inbuilt PSU for the time being like Zebronics iBall Tower which costs around 1.2K and later switch to a better one.
I am doubtful if you would find a 27" monitor in 15k
I saw AOC 27" for around 17K. Will stretch if required by around 2-3K for monitor.

priyam1309 You'd go for this rig-
Intel i5 3570K-15k OR i5 2500K-13k
Asus P8Z77M-PRO-12.5k
Gskill RipjawsX OR Corsair Vengeance 2X4GB 1600mhz-3.5k
Segate 1TB 7200RPM-4.6k
Sapphire HD7770-9k
Seasonic S12ii 520W-4k OR Cooler Master GX550W-4.5k
Dell ST2220L-8.5k
Corsair 400R-5k OR Nzxt Gamma-2.4k
OCZ Vertex4 128GB-8.5k
Noctua NH U12P SE2-4k
Hope this helps.:)

If you value your system and their components I would say avoid that path.
Thanks for the suggestion but I would like to know the reason behind your statement. How is it different from upgrading a system?
People do it all the time. If you notice all my components contribute to the final Config except the Case and PSU which I thought of replacing.

Apart from the basic issue of running high-end components on dubious power supplies, the general path to take in long-term build planning is to get the bits that will outlast the present build and can be recycled in the future. This way your core does not get obsolete when you upgrade the periphery. Another reason for this is the constant reduction in price of new hardware as they come close to EOL - and generally the core reaches obsolescence far quicker than less evolving categories.

My suggestion would be exactly the reverse of the way you have planned it - get the case, PSU, monitor first. Those things will not need to be upgraded for a while and may last three or four years without any problems. Generally a GPU will go obsolete every 8 months, and a CPU and platform every year or so. The CPU you pick up today will be halfway to obsolete by the time you are ready to buy a case.

I would also recommend you balance your spend. The config given by Jakob above is a decent starting point, but I would not see the benefit of spending such a large portion of the build cost on the core (CPU, memory, Motherboard and CPU cooler are close to half the build cost) and just around 10% for the GPU. At least not with your target resolution/screen size (27" monitors are 1920x and above, and 1280x gaming will look disgusting in such large sizes).

You should think about sacrificing overclocking-capable CPUs and allocate more funding towards the GPU.

I would pick a i3 and H77 board, and pair it with a 7850 to better balance the build. I also consider 8GB to be the minimum for most folk now, and the SSD is essential if you don't want a sluggish PC. Also the cooler looks overkill for this setup and a lower level cooler can be used - there are good options around the 2-2.5k mark, from the likes of CoolerMaster and Thermaltake. They don't have the outright performance of the Noctuas, but for a build with a power sipper like an i3 more will not be required.

If you do want to overclock and think your rig will benefit from it, then do get the 3570k and Z77, along with the Noctua and a power supply. There are decent case options if you're scrounging around for a cheap build. Some of the second-level Coolermaster cases will take long GPUs and be able to ventilate them properly with side fans, but they have other issues like flimsy panels and very high sound levels (leaky cabinets). At the end of the day you will have to decide which compromises are worth making, specially if money is tight.

To answer your question on power supplies, you might want to search for some excellent threads by Bikeinstein on this issue. We've discussed it to death before, do the courtesy of trying to hunt the information down. Long story short, Indian PSUs = crap.

Thanks for the suggestion but I would like to know the reason behind your statement. How is it different from upgrading a system?
People do it all the time. If you notice all my components contribute to the final Config except the Case and PSU which I thought of replacing.

Well cranky put the point really well but I will do my pitch on the same point.

Your cabinet and SMPS are really long lived components, in-fact the SMPS comes with the longest warranty these days (when compared to the other components), also the guidelines for these does not change a lot, at maximum the ATX v.x.x specifications carry minor changes and the last ATX power revision v.2.3 has been in place since ~March 2007 (5 years).

The idea is to build a solid base before you start building around / upon it.

If you will upturn this build-cycle, getting UPS, SMPS and cabinet in the first in the first go and then follow it up by the other components you will be poised to make the choice between cheaper Ivy-Bridge processors OR more powerful and efficient Haswell chips, for graphics card you can always aim for the Diwali time-period for better prices and you will get a better gamut of cards then rather than now; else you can wait for the HD8*** series cards by AMD which are slated Q2 2013 (along with Haswell).

In the end it is your call, so think about it. Cheerio!

Thanks ALPHA17 & cranky. Well said points and I will design my plan as per your suggestions. I guess its better to first accumulate atleast 35K before I start building...:(

Honestly speaking you are better off accumulating sufficient money and then building a rig. Your idea of building a rig over time sounds good. But keep in my mind a couple of things - essential components for your stage I build should be scalable - by that I mean do not buy some older components which are currently available cheaply as when you would go for up gradation they maybe outdated. Example - At stage I you should definitely consider the Intel Sandy Bridge processors. You need not got for an i7 but an i5 may help. For a motherboard you should buy a board that supports your required RAM capacity - 2 RAM Slots vs 4 for future, Max RAM Speed supported by the board, USB 3.0 slots etc.

Back