Any problems with Samsung Galaxy S

vortex_mak

Disciple
Hi,

To all the members who have bought a samsung Galaxy S -

Have you noticed any problems with the phone ? There are a couple of issues on forums regarding GPS, UI lag and Wi-Fi .

I would like to know if any users are facing these problems firsthand ?

Thanks

^^ it wont be fixed simply when Samsung releases 2.2 unless Samsung patches the kernel to fix the I/O performance.

Lagfix is already available for 2.1 and leaked 2.2 firmwares. It does need a presence of SD card (yes, addtional microsd card and not internal 16GB ), rooted phone with busybox installed and common sense to follow simple instructions which are here : UPDATED - Real fix for the "stalling/lagging" problem - xda-developers

GPS has issues. It just loves to drop the lock. It has been by far the worst performing GPS I have used on any of my android phones till date. Samsung needs to fix that as well.

I havent faced any wifi issues personally. In fact wifi performance is fantastic. Gets the IP faster than Desire and Spica from my wifi network.

GPS is not used very often so thats a no biggie, WiFi is imp so glad to know it works properly.

The real issue is the lag now... shripad.. reckon its a hardware problem ?

No, definitely not the core hardware problem. But it kinda is a hardware related issue.

Lag is due to the fact that Galaxy S uses internal flash memory to store cache ( part of 16GB is used for this ). Now this internal flash memory is dead slow. its slower than the fast microSD cards. So when app loads and needs to access the cache memory from the internal flash, it causes slowdowns.

There are 2 lag fixes available. One is by paul (modaco) and other is by Mimocan.

Modaco uses internal fast NAND and Mimocan uses ext3 partition on external SD card.

Mimocan's fix is better as it does not touch internal NAND which is usually used for app storage and if used to fix lag it can causes that space to be used by cache and not become available for apps. And some apps have issues with this fix as well.

So even with 16GB of internal flash, you basically need a microSD card to cure lag.

I dont know how samsung is going to fix this to be honest. They should have used faster internal memory. Or maybe they need to patch future firmwares in a way that that they automatically use external SD for storage if its found.

Anyway, thats how it stands at the moment.

For me, its not a big deal as I have Class 10 MicroSDHC card with me. And fix is relatively easy to do if you know what you are doing or you know how to follow instructions to the point :p

Back