Graphic Cards Any chance of a graphical upgrade to my ancient rig?

Techie#1

Skilled
Want to upgrade the graphical power/ i.e the graphics card of my ancient system..

The system specs are as below:-
untitledttt-101900.jpg

*P.S.U = Corsair VX550W.

I know due to various bottlenecks in the old system i cannot make an optimum upgrade of graphics power on my system ,without changing most of the things.
still ,...i want recommendations about which graphics card i can/should change to,... to have an aceptable upgrade of whatever is best possible to play recent games & some latest FHD format videos & in which is possible in a limited(minimum) budget! //i'm just a casual gamer//

I'm open to second hand purchases also...

So please put forward your recommendations quick...i would be much thankful ! :)

I would advise against getting any GPU upgrade for the system as the CPU would severely bottleneck the GPU and there would be no noticeable performance boost.

If the latest cards are bottlenecked by the CPU that much, what about some older cards better than the 6800GS( which is currently in my system), that can still manage some newer games & fhd videos smoothly. As I say I am open to second hand purchases which are on offer. I also want to spend very less in this as I already know the upgrade might not be that appreciable!

Edited by muzux2: Cleaned SMS Lingo

^^sorry to state that mate but probably you have Not read anything nor seen the above screenshot. Please read my first post ...every specs of my current system given in details!

I disagree with the naysayers. I guess a GT630 or 640/AMD 7750 will not be out of place in that rig. Sure you will be bottlenecking a powerful card, but these aren't really powerful. You will get the benefits of good video decode, as well as play some games at decent resolutions. Do note that expecting great framerates would be optimistic, but some games will be playable. Do understand that as the resolution increases, the system load generally shifts towards the graphics card.

Avoid. Upgrade the whole system instead, it'll have to be done eventually considering how old that processor.

// How on earth is your 6800 still chugging along? o_O

^^ yes, everybody knows that...eventually everything/everyone(me & you included) has to go including your latest generation p.c components that is the hard fact! :|
btw, if only i had the money now(i'm just a aam admi), i would have happily splurged on a High end game/video rig! ...but that have to wait till the next time. And yes i ain't a gamer anymore (previously seriously was) ,so my demands are quite low...till once on a blue moon,i fancy getting hands on the latest/newer games or randomly i wish to view certain FHD(1080p) movies on the p.c.My monitor as you may find is a WUXGA(1920x1200) running at the native resolution,that makes the maximum demand from the GPU ,which but cannot provide the required juice for a decent experience in these situations. Though these are rare occasions, but getting a bogged down experience Always (at games,videos or even at the basic pc workings particularly with Win 7 ultimate as the O.S) does make me want to upgrade & taking a chance to a newer GPU that would work in my rig & improve the situation to the best extent possible.

yes as newegg.com specifies (& as also you can see from my screenshot in my first post) ..the Asus A8N-SLI Premium has indeed the nVIDIA nForce4 chipset...if this helps in your recommendations... whether i should go for a nVIDIA card only for best performance & compatibility ?

Also as for budget concerned,...anything below 5k,...lesser the better! (also open to second hand purchases those in Great condition)

1 specific question,...there is someone here@T.E selling his geforce 9800 > http://www.techenclave.com/sell-trade-products/xfx-9800-gt-only-dvi-145303/
Will this card suffice my requirements...& make it a decent buy ?

Plz do put in your response/recommendation quickly .
& yes thanks for the earlier replies :)

Most of the new cards are PCIe 2x, and your motherboards 1x. They're supposed to be compatible, but that's not always the case. I've got an nVidia chipset board, Asus M2n-e, and it had problems recognising my AMD 5670 card. It used to take 2 minutes after multiple restarts to power on. A BIOS update fixed the problem, but I had to wait 2 months for the update to become available.
Before you buy a card, check that it's compatible.

What resolution are you gaming at?
When you upgrade do you intend to use the same graphics card in the new system?
If you're gaming at less than 1680*1050 and don't plan on using the card in your next system, then go for the 9800GT after checking if your motherboard supports it.

Thanks ch@ts for sharing your valuable personal experience.
Very valuable indeed & these are the exact reasons why I'm here asking you guys b4 hand doing any GPU upgrade.

Also to state I would NOT be keeping the upgraded gpu in the case of a complete system overhaul... this is more of a stop gap arrangement to make my system more relevant to today's job without any other expectation.

I do normally run my desktop at monitor's native resolution i. e 1920x1200 (not for games always though) & want something that gives me the maximum support in the high end resolution with the current set up.
.....& if the nvidia geforce 9800GT doesn't cut it, then what options do I realistically have that would work best for my requirements?

*I'm also thinking about getting a Ssd to better my overall experience, but that said, budget is still one of my major concerns .

I think the 9800GT is compatible with your board, and anything more powerful than that would be bottlenecked by your processor.

Instead of buying an SSD I'd suggest buying a cheap new motherboard+ CPU combo. An AMD X2 + motherboard + 2GB DDR3 RAM should cost ~6000, and will give you a bigger boost than an SSD.

@Techie#1 Don't take this in the wrong sense but you're really confused. There is a big difference between a complete overhaul just for the sake of keeping up with the times and a complete overhaul if you're into serious gaming or for work-related reasons. From your last post, i gather that you're an occasional gamer ONLY. You haven't mentioned any specific reason. Most people would only want to upgrade their graphics card(keeping in mind your current PC specs) if they had a specific reason to do so, i.e, to OCCASIONALLY watch a 3D Bluray movie or dabble in photoshop/vmware. But even to sufficiently perform any of the aforementioned tasks, an Athlon64 just won't cut it. You're only option is a complete overhaul. Pairing a 9800GT with you're current PC is absolutely ludicrous. Remember, the idea behind an upgrade is to update your PC specs to the latest generation. I can't begin to fathom how anyone would even consider a 9800GT as an upgrade option in 2013! A GT640 is not as stupid as a 9800GT ONLY if you plan on upgrading the rest of your PC in due time. But considering that the current crop of iGPU's are really powerful i strongly recommend spending the money you've saved for a discrete GPU on upgrading your CPU, Motherboard, OS & RAM FIRST. Toy with the idea of purchasing a discrete GPU ONLY if the iGPU doesn't suffice your needs. I would've suggested the cheapest Core i3, but you've repeatedly mentioned that you're severly cash-strapped and hence my recommendation falls down to nothing less than an Intel G2010(EOL) w/ H61M, not less than 4GB of ram all of which runs Windows 8. An SSD for a config as aforementioned is no different than turbocharging a TATA Nano. Pointless. Your 1TB HDD will do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a differing point of view. Even I have an old system (See my specs), but I can easily run a blue ray 3D movie. Of course games would not run but as of now I have stopped playing. Maybe I will get back to gaming and then I will update. Not immediately, but in a couple of months I look to upgrading my PSU and get a decent graphics card (not more than 10k). Maybe you should go ahead with a GPU upgrade if you are only looking to play Blue-ray movies and occasional games.

My specs have dissapeared - E6750 psu and 4GB ddr2 ram and asus p5kc mobo and nvidia 8600gt

Want to upgrade the graphical power/ i.e the graphics card of my ancient system..

The system specs are as below:-
untitledttt-101900.jpg

*P.S.U = Corsair VX550W.

I know due to various bottlenecks in the old system i cannot make an optimum upgrade of graphics power on my system ,without changing most of the things.
still ,...i want recommendations about which graphics card i can/should change to,... to have an aceptable upgrade of whatever is best possible to play recent games & some latest FHD format videos & in which is possible in a limited(minimum) budget! //i'm just a casual gamer//

I'm open to second hand purchases also...

So please put forward your recommendations quick...i would be much thankful ! :)

With just this UPGRADE you can extend your PC life to another 3-4years.Just think of the following config:

AMD A10-5800k -8500,
Asus F2A55-M-LE -4800,
Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 4GB -1500.
TOTAL -14800.

Thanks for the replies friends...

Updates...
Since start of the thread,sad turn of event ...after so many years of rock solid & stable performance also serving rigorously as a 24x7 download machine , my motherboard has finally given in & developed problems.

Started with sudden freezing of the system without any response from kb & mouse & the problem worsened , went to Rashi for Service. They have somewhat rectified the problem,freezing seems gone / (capacitors replaced) but now there are other problems like the onboard realtek 850 ac97 audio device is gone(missing in device manager) & ocassional bsod .Rashi is saying that there is problem in the BGA of the mobo that's why the audio is missing & it needs to be replaced which would be dearer /costlier job & hence it would be pragmatic to buy a External pci sound card instead.

Now in the meanwhile to save my fortune & spending extra for a new sound card(with digital/optical out), I am desperately seeking to buy another perfectly working motherboard of the same make from other forum members here ...who might still have them & hence salvage my old rig in which the processor, ram & video/graphics card are still working perfect!
>> http://www.techenclave.com/communit...-amd-939-pin-motherboard.147281/#post-1809104
(* I however still have no result for that search yet)

Though I would be making/assembling a New p.c soon, but I also don't want to pull curtains on my old machine just yet which I hope can still go some extra mile,..if not for anything but just as a download machine!

With all that being said, I am still very much aware of my upcoming & impending p.c upgrade.
* Xperts can suitably guide me at this juncture .

Thanks again for all your replies & the help!

Back