Storage Solutions Another - SUGGEST a tb HDD

ArZuNeOs

Disciple
Guys,

I am in a dilemma as to which HDD to buy.

My last few years were just WD alone,Have 8 WD drives but with many -ve comments abour the latest WDEARS models and personal experience with 1TB 64mb Cache WD10EARS "Green" I am now really in a dilemma.

Usage & Purpose:

Backup & storage and retrieval from Transcend 5.25 Casing. Later on as a internal drive with all backups. Mostly videos & dump files.And please I am going this drive with Win XP/Ubuntu/Win 7. Any suggestions with regards the ADF is also useful.

Requirements:

1 X 1 TB HDD
2 X 2 TB HDD

Performance - Good
Sound - Low
Heat - Low

Also please suggest from where to buy. Am staying in Bangalore & Chennai....so anywhere is good. Online shops also just fine. Open to Samsung Spinpoint & Hitachi drives too.

Please help me out

In order of choice:

1. Samsung Spinpoint F3 if you can find it

2. WD Black 64 mb if you can find it

WD 64 Black maybe better than Samsung

3. WD Black 32 or Seagate 7200.12 depending upon whether you need faster responses or more read/write

Check reviews for that

When going in for larger capacity drives, I would prefer to get the best & most reliable disks in the market, reason being, the more the capacity of the disks, the more the amount of data being stored on them & the more the amount of risks that we have to undertake. Therefore a minimal failure is also something that someone just can't accept with these drives as failure means your entire collection being wiped out !

Having said that, in order of my personal preference:

a) HITACHI 1TB 7200 RPM 32 MB Buffer (Available @ Aashirwad Computers, SP Road - seems like Dinesh is going to take up dealership for HITACHI).

b) HITACHI 2TB 7200 RPM 32 MB Buffer (Available @ Aashirwad Computers, SP Road).

c) WD Black Caviar 1TB 7200 RPM 32 MB Buffer.

d) WD Black Caviar 2 TB 7200 RPM 32 MB Buffer.

e) If you need a reliable setup & you want to reduce the cost on your investment as well, I would suggest to please setup RAID & go with SEAGATE 1TB 7200.12, 7200 RPM, 32 MB Buffer drives. SEAGATE Drives having capacity greater than 1TB have many problems & on many occasions have reported to be failed on account of spindle motor failure, spindle bearing getting jammed, etc, so please avoid going farther on SEAGATE. Safest on SEAGATE would be 500 GB 7200.12 & 1TB 7200.12. Also, before you buy SEAGATE, please do check Firmware Revision on the top sticker of the HDD - should be 7200.12 or 7200.10, NEVER buy 7200.11 (very risky).

The costliest ones among the above is WD Black Caviar & apparently considered to be the best ones coz of less heat & noise generated during operation, good performance & reliable as well.

HITACHI is my personal favorite, reason being, its reliable & costs less compared to WD Black Caviar drives & performace is also good. There is only one drawback though, the HDD Drives heats up quickly & so the Drive Bays may required Fans to cool them off, other than the Heat thingy, they are the best ones, kind of RUGGED in nature :)

Any idea of Samsung Spinpoint F3.

Also are WD Blacks good and have no issues? I keep a 2nd thought on the suffering my friend had withthe EARS model.

^^ If you need the 1TB without the power adapter , you will need a 2.5" one , and a 1TB 2.5" external HDD will cost you upwards of 8.5k . So you will have to get a 3.5" external only .

IIRC , I read somewhere that other things equal 2.5" drives have a lower probability of failure because of lower tip velocity etc . Dont know whether thats true or not . If you absolutely need 2.5" , you can get a 640GB Transcend from mediahome for 4.6k

TBH , failure rates across almost all brands are similar , there are certain firmwares , series which seem to be more prone to failure (WD Green , Seagate 7200.11) . I just bought a Seagate 7200.12 1TB for 3.5k a few days back and its been working fine so I'd recommend them .

djarunin said:
When going in for larger capacity drives, I would prefer to get the best & most reliable disks in the market, reason being, the more the capacity of the disks, the more the amount of data being stored on them & the more the amount of risks that we have to undertake. Therefore a minimal failure is also something that someone just can't accept with these drives as failure means your entire collection being wiped out !

Having said that, in order of my personal preference:

a) HITACHI 1TB 7200 RPM 32 MB Buffer (Available @ Aashirwad Computers, SP Road - seems like Dinesh is going to take up dealership for HITACHI).

b) HITACHI 2TB 7200 RPM 32 MB Buffer (Available @ Aashirwad Computers, SP Road).

c) WD Black Caviar 1TB 7200 RPM 32 MB Buffer.

d) WD Black Caviar 2 TB 7200 RPM 32 MB Buffer.

e) If you need a reliable setup & you want to reduce the cost on your investment as well, I would suggest to please setup RAID & go with SEAGATE 1TB 7200.12, 7200 RPM, 32 MB Buffer drives. SEAGATE Drives having capacity greater than 1TB have many problems & on many occasions have reported to be failed on account of spindle motor failure, spindle bearing getting jammed, etc, so please avoid going farther on SEAGATE. Safest on SEAGATE would be 500 GB 7200.12 & 1TB 7200.12. Also, before you buy SEAGATE, please do check Firmware Revision on the top sticker of the HDD - should be 7200.12 or 7200.10, NEVER buy 7200.11 (very risky).

The costliest ones among the above is WD Black Caviar & apparently considered to be the best ones coz of less heat & noise generated during operation, good performance & reliable as well.

HITACHI is my personal favorite, reason being, its reliable & costs less compared to WD Black Caviar drives & performace is also good. There is only one drawback though, the HDD Drives heats up quickly & so the Drive Bays may required Fans to cool them off, other than the Heat thingy, they are the best ones, kind of RUGGED in nature :)
ok thanx...!

Bump up...

Please gimme a suitable reply folks.

I am in a dilemma as to which HDD to buy.

My last few years were just WD alone,Have 8 WD drives but with many -ve comments abour the latest WDEARS models and personal experience with 1TB 64mb Cache WD10EARS "Green" I am now really in a dilemma.

Usage & Purpose:

Backup & storage and retrieval from Transcend 5.25 Casing. Later on as a internal drive with all backups. Mostly videos & dump files.And please I am going this drive with Win XP/Ubuntu/Win 7. Any suggestions with regards the ADF is also useful.

Requirements:

1 X 1 TB HDD

2 X 2 TB HDD

Performance - Good

Sound - Low

Heat - Low

Also please suggest from where to buy. Am staying in Bangalore & Chennai....so anywhere is good. Online shops also just fine. Open to Samsung Spinpoint & Hitachi drives too.

Please help me out

manu1991 said:
IIRC , I read somewhere that other things equal 2.5" drives have a lower probability of failure because of lower tip velocity etc . Dont know whether thats true or not . If you absolutely need 2.5" , you can get a 640GB Transcend from mediahome for 4.6k

TBH , failure rates across almost all brands are similar , there are certain firmwares , series which seem to be more prone to failure (WD Green , Seagate 7200.11) . I just bought a Seagate 7200.12 1TB for 3.5k a few days back and its been working fine so I'd recommend them .
True......

How about Samsung F2 Eco Green for the storage purpose

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Guys Please hurry.

Its choice between

1 TB - Samsung HD103SI & Hitachi E7K1000

Samsung from Lynx

Hitachi from TheITDepot

Any other suggestions are welcome.

2 TB - Not yet decided. First 1 tb model.

Back