Android 4.1 Jelly Bean Launched (OTA) Starts On Nexus International Today

axeteve

Disciple
Hi Guys,
Android 4.1 Jelly Bean Launched. (OTA) Starts On Nexus GSM Retail (unlocked) Today.

Great features includes gpu 3x buffer and 2x cpu buffer code project 'butter' incorporated to get smooth 60 fps consistent smooth frame rate.

Possible inclusion of Linaro code which almost double the speed of code execution in android resulting in 70% performance increase even in last generation hardware. All this and what not.

But the burning Koschan is.....
Will we in india see this JellyBean goodness officially in our yesteryear's devices before nextyear? Or we will Just be Jelly of our international brothers ?:annoyed:

What do hou think guys. Share your frustration / views here.

Max

---------- Post added at 07:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 PM ----------

*you

Heard about custom ROMs? Not official doesnt mean not available.. I was running ICS on i9000 (latest) and yeah now back onto stock after an yr of different custom ROMs.

Kinda pointless at the rate Google keeps churning out Android versions. There are still people on Eclair/Gingerbread. What the heck are they thinking?

So does that mean that they stop the development?
Device are on earlier version because they cant support the new versions. What is wrong in that?

They said they will fix fragmentation and then went out and did the opposite. ICS is not out officially on most devices (what are the manufacturers doing with it?) and now we have jelly bean. I am looking forward to it though, hoping for low level changes that makes the ui much more fluid and better bg app management.

More than devices not supporting, its the lazy/greed OEMs that don't want to support older handset as they are busy churning out new models. Thankfully, I think the situation is much better than last year when a bunch of new phones were released each month with little difference in specs. Ideally, IMO, each manufacturer should release upto 3 devices each year and support them fully for at least 2 years.

Well, fragmentation is not a problem with Google. It's the reason of OEM's being so lazy that they retire older devices very soon. Why there is no fragmentation issue with Apple? The reason is Apple produces a very limited amount of device range (iPhone, iPad, iPod and the end. :)) They don't have to think about the vast range of hardware support and stuff.

Being open source and because Google developed it, Android technology is being adopted by various brands in the mobile device industry. Automatically, they (Google) must think about hardware compatibility while developing the code as different mobile as different OEM provides complete different hardware set. Moreover, these mobile companies just release couple of updates on a phone after it's launch. They don't really want to make their engineers busy in developing and releasing updates for the same device. They pay their engineers to work on the new device and compete other mobile companies.

Fragmentation can be only fixed by these OEMs (Mobile Phone companies) by supplying firmware updates for a long period. Google can also control the same by limiting number of amount of new phones launched by these OEMs (per year or per Q of a year). So that OEMs will have to concentrate on giving updates rather than launching new models in quick succession.

So does that mean that they stop the development?
Device are on earlier version because they cant support the new versions. What is wrong in that?

There's a dire need for them to PLAN their releases with OEM so that end users can actually taste all the desserts they keep serving instead of just drooling over it.

Hopefully things should improve this time around due to multiple factors:

1. For OEMs, 4.1 is not too different from 4.0
2. Google has already share PDK for 4.1 with most of the OEMs.
3. It's about time Google came good on their '18-month upgrade support alliance'.

Google mentioned that from now on they're releasing a PDK (Product Development Kit) to all OEMs 2-3 months before each release to ensure that they're upto speed with updates and to give feedback to Google. There should be a will from the manufacturers too.

Nothing beats Nexus devices for pure Google experience and fast updates.

I think with their new strategy of sending out PDK's early to OEMs, we might see shorter wait times. Hopefully not more than couple of weeks(I know, unrealistic as of now).

Looks nice, and hopefully the PDK will help but still no announcements from any manufacturer regarding 4.1 upgrade on existing devices.

If you really want it so badly (and you should, it feels great), consider custom ROMs from xda. They're typically much better than stock ROMs and constantly updated. No more waiting on the slow release cycles of hardware manufacturers.

The best part is the support for older devices. I've been running ICS on my Galaxy S (which isn't supported by Samsung anymore) for a very long time now and there's a Jellybean alpha ROM already. Calls and Wi-fi don't work for now so you can't use it on a daily basis but knowing the skill and patience of those developers, I'm expecting to see a fully working ROM in about a month's time.

Back