Audio Amp help for mordaunt short

jith77

Adept
After auditioning wharfedale 9.1, tannoy f1, psb alpha b1 and the mordaunt short 902 i decided on the 902. However i dunno how to select the amp. I was suggested ca 340a at the shop(14.3k). Can someone pls give your opinion. It would be better if i can get something cheaper.
Also suggest where to get some budget cables.

I read the thread title and was hoping you'd want a better amp than the 340a.

There are Jap amps (Yamaha et al) below 10K that would be a load of crap, don't even think about them.

Depending on where you're located, a Pulz, Norge or (never thought I'd say this) Cosmic might be around the same level of quality, and a little cheaper to boot. Sonodyne also makes an integrated amp for around the same price as the CA, but it sounded a whole lot better when I auditioned it (it was a long time ago).

I'm sure others will be along shortly to make some more pointed suggestions.

Audition the amp with the speakers before buying....:)

I have listened to both

Norge Ref 2000

and Norge Concerto Gold 1000 and both are better than a Yamaha....

Also if u are in Chennai u could see Craftel amps.....heard they were good VFM....

Audio Craft

No.37 Harris Road (Aathithanar Salai)

3rd floor, Pudupet,

Chennai 600002

Phone : 28521243

Am in mumbai.
@ronnie. it wont be possible to take the amp to any showroom as i dont own one. And the shop has only ca and yamaha.
@sangram. . I can shell out a bit more only if it can make a major diff. . . Which i didnt expect.
also the review at whathifi says that the speaker is particular about the amp. .. So i wanted to ask how the indian brands u guys mentioned would go with the ms

jith77 said:
Am in mumbai.
@ronnie. it wont be possible to take the amp to any showroom as i dont own one. And the shop has only ca and yamaha.
@sangram. . I can shell out a bit more only if it can make a major diff. . . Which i didnt expect.
also the review at whathifi says that the speaker is particular about the amp. .. So i wanted to ask how the indian brands u guys mentioned would go with the ms

The mordaunt shorts i have were paired with a Yamaha before....and they were amazing....since the tuner of the yamaha died :cry: i had to trade it for the Sherwood amp.....AFAIK the mordaunts go really really well with the Yams.......I know a Yamaha AMP up for grabs for abt 17.5k odd....

For clarification, the review at whathifi says that as the top end is authoritative, with the wrong amp the ms can be too bright.
And the quote without discount on the ms is 12.5. Does anyone know its current price, so that i can bargain better?
@hanzy. . Which is the model no of the yamaha and is it the same as the one you used.
i thought yamaha was more suited to ht systems?

jith77 said:
For clarification, the review at whathifi says that as the top end is authoritative, with the wrong amp the ms can be too bright.
And the quote without discount on the ms is 12.5. Does anyone know its current price, so that i can bargain better?
@hanzy. . Which is the model no of the yamaha and is it the same as the one you used.
i thought yamaha was more suited to ht systems?

i dont remember the amp i had....some RX series it was.....and i dont have those speakers what im using are the HT-30's ........
the model for sale is : Yamaha RXV657 .....was bought from abroad...used abt 6 months....reason for sale....upgrading.

ok...rephrasing things...

1) does anyone know how the highs are on the sonodyne(their 2 channel amp, right?), norge and pulz

2) wat vfm(aka cheap) cables to get...via kmd ya local dealer?

Back