CPU/Mobo AMD Fusion - Some basic queries about price & performance

johnsunder

Disciple
Hi

I am eyeing the AMD fusion for an upgrade from my existing Athlon. This is the system I have right now

Athlon XP 3000+, MSI RS482M4, 1.5GB DDR and ATI Radeon HD4350 1GB GPU.

Presently there is no problem playing NFS, TDU etc. Only the NFS HP was a bit jerky.

Now, for a VFM upgrade i am eyeing the AMD Fusion. Asus is listed at Rs.6400/- whereas MSI is listed at Rs.8400/- and both of them come with HDMI which is what I want as I am planning to get the LG 3D LED monitor. Now my question is

1. If I use the on board graphics of this board which could be set at 1GB shared memory plus the speed of a better processor and 4GB DDR3, will I be able to play the games that I have been playing well with my old(dino age) processor with a dedicated ATI 1GB GPU ?

2. Also why is there a 2k difference between these 2 brands ? In fact Asus offers more connectivity options than the MSI.

Here is the link for both

MSI

GIGABYTE - Motherboard - BGA FT1 - GA-E350N-USB3 (rev. 1.0)

[attachment=9224:15873.attach]

ASUS

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Motherboards- ASUS E35M1-M PRO

[attachment=9225:15874.attach]

Help me out folks.

Attachments

• MSI.jpg
    MSI.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 88
  • ASUS.jpg
    ASUS.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 72
Yup initial price for MSI was 8400/-. I bought it for 8100. :(

Amm cant comment on games as i have never played games on this board. My purpose is different. I am using it in car-pc. But Board is sure fast enough and graphics is quite punchy too.

Don't expect to do any sort of gaming on the Fusion APU. I have one and games crawl on it. However its great for movie playback as an HTPC.

Only basic gaming can be done! Almost any game however can run on low gfx settings! I am also waiting for the A8-3800 and the Asus m-ITX mobo!

johnsunder said:
I am sorry, it is not MSI, that was gigabyte that i have linked. The prices were taken from here . Very sorry about the mix up.

Asus has E35M1-M ,E35M1-M PRO,E35M1-M Deluxe the price listed in delta was for the E35M1-M.Gaming i really doubt you could do any.If u wait for 3 or 4 days Dark Star is coming with a review of the Asus E35M1-M PRO which will clear all your doubts.

In general a mini-itx board tends to cost a bit more than micro-atx boards.

The MSI is a mini-ITX right between the two boards you linked, at least in terms of price.

The Fusion APU in the E- and C- series chipsets is useless for (today's) games. Do note it competes with the Atom at the overall solution level and is not a proper general desktop platform - it's what one would call entry-level and premium nettop.

However if you play old (2 years or more) games on your desktop machine, it should be more than sufficient.

I would suggest get an athlon X2 250 and m4n68T for 2.5+2.4k respectively and a dedicated 2.k~3k GPU like HD 5570 or an HD 5670 for 4k. Would be lot better than that fusion solution, in CPU and GPU department.

eternoMind said:
A bit OT: People keep referring to Bikey here, is he a computer hardware dealer?

LOL how I wish he was! :lol:

He's just another helpful member from the forums. :)

Metalspree said:
If u wait for 3 or 4 days Dark Star is coming with a review of the Asus E35M1-M PRO which will clear all your doubts.
I can surely wait.

cranky said:
The MSI is a mini-ITX right between the two boards you linked, at least in terms of price.

The Fusion APU in the E- and C- series chipsets is useless for (today's) games. Do note it competes with the Atom at the overall solution level and is not a proper general desktop platform - it's what one would call entry-level and premium nettop.

However if you play old (2 years or more) games on your desktop machine, it should be more than sufficient.

Most of the games are over 2 years old.

dOm1naTOr said:
I would suggest get an athlon X2 250 and m4n68T for 2.5+2.4k respectively and a dedicated 2.k~3k GPU like HD 5570 or an HD 5670 for 4k. Would be lot better than that fusion solution, in CPU and GPU department.

I want the HDMI option in the MB.

Back