Camera All newbie/starter entry level DSLR information

Status
Not open for further replies.
which one is better canon eos 1000 or nikon d3000??

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

thers this frnd of mine who is confused abt both the cams.. the dealer at our place supports canon and said tat nikon is not at all gud and is loosing market.. and the production of d3000 is stopped.. i won a canon xs.. and it wud really suck if my frnds also buys the same.. but if the above info is true.. he doesnt hav much choice...does he...

I dont really think D3000 production is stopped. Even if it has, it doesnt really matter coz that wont effect its serviceability or availability of lenses.

Check here for a comparison between the two.

Hey guys, a friend of mine was looking to buy a DSLR for casual photography and particularly for jewelllery photography. He wanted something for around 20k, give and take. He was hoping to get a used 500D for 20-24k but I dont think thats gonna happen.

Now I need your advice, how do you think the 1000D will do for his purpose?

harish_21_10 said:
Hey guys, a friend of mine was looking to buy a DSLR for casual photography and particularly for jewelllery photography. He wanted something for around 20k, give and take. He was hoping to get a used 500D for 20-24k but I dont think thats gonna happen.

Now I need your advice, how do you think the 1000D will do for his purpose?
Might possible to get D5000 after some time when D7k is in market and some cam insane boy plans to buy it as an upgrade for his D5k :p

hi folks :)

tripod, 5-6k at max, suggestions please (india, online is ok)

and any idea about where to get the cokin H250 (P series set) from? Its out of stock on adorama.... :(

I'm looking for a cheap screen guard for my 550D. Which of these will do?

1 - Originally for sony 3" - ebay

2 - some other chinese make - ebay

Any other suggestion also will be very helpful

Thanks

_pappu_ said:
hi folks :)
tripod, 5-6k at max, suggestions please (india, online is ok)
and any idea about where to get the cokin H250 (P series set) from? Its out of stock on adorama.... :(
benro 300ex + bh01 ball head. should be ~5.5k
amazing vfm

how are Olympus DSLRs?

Is getting one from outside the country a good idea?

Thanks.

ps- i am a total newbie to this. Kindly advise accordingly! :)

@Wishmaster: If you are thinking about the "Four Thirds" Olympus DSLRs(E-30, E-620, E-5, etc), I would advise you against it because Olympus has stopped development of the Four Thirds format. It is entirely focusing on the micro Four Thirds format now. Olympus Micro Four Thirds cameras are E-P1, E-P2, E-PL1 and the recently launched(only in Japan) E-PL1s. The E-PL1 is available in India at a decent price and has got favorable reviews.

Okay so I have a Canon 500 D, 18-55 kit lens. However the zoom is really pathetic, I need to upgarde to a better zoom lens, please advise on the same(The cheaper the better). Also need a cheap tripod for making HD movies. One last thing, when I use the Live View mode, using the screen I can digitally zoom into the frame, is it possible for me to capture that zoomed in frame ? Thats how it workds in my point and shoot but when I do it from the 500 , it captures the non zoomed in frame :S

A friend is buying a DSLR from US, his budget is USD 700. I have shortlisted Sony SLT A33 and Canon 500D. Any other options (website address please)?

Pentax K-r.

Amazon has the body for 750$. If it's too expensive, the K-x dual kit is around 700$, great value for a good 18-55 kit lens, and a damn decent 55-300 telezoom.

@techhead wont it be better to go for DSLR whose lenses are easily available here in India. Also dont know if i am right but finding a service center for pentax cameras is difficult here in India

^^ that should not be an issue as my friend does a lot of round trips to US. Pentax K-r on specs looks good, it has better high ISO performance as compared to Sony SLT A33, has a better viewfinder... But yep lens availability is a big question mark. Tamron and Sigma lenses are largely on Canikon mounts, tough to find Sony mounts too. A big advantage for Sony are the huge library of old Minolta lenses, in addition Sony has been expanding its lens library significantly in the past 2 years.

Aces170 said:
^^ that should not be an issue as my friend does a lot of round trips to US. Pentax K-r on specs looks good, it has better high ISO performance as compared to Sony SLT A33, has a better viewfinder... But yep lens availability is a big question mark. Tamron and Sigma lenses are largely on Canikon mounts, tough to find Sony mounts too. A big advantage for Sony are the huge library of old Minolta lenses, in addition Sony has been expanding its lens library significantly in the past 2 years.
heh, if you think the Sony library is huge, check out the Pentax library..literally every Pentax SLR lens made in the last 60 years will fit on the K-x / K-r..

Aces170 said:
A big advantage for Sony are the huge library of old Minolta lenses, in addition Sony has been expanding its lens library significantly in the past 2 years.
AF on Zeiss lens only on sony :p that in itself > any other factor.
btw am shifting to canon so this is not a sony promotion post!

The K-r has the most VFM me thinks if sourcing lenses is not a problem and I dont think he'll be buying a lot of lens too soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back