Advice needed on PS3 buy (Console n00b -> Me)

Alias

Skilled
Aug 29, 2005
It seems i have an option of getting the 40gb PS3 for around 280$ from US after the 100$ off on sony style Credit card (for PS3) and the amazon gold box deal( 5% off) which makes it finally to a price of 279.99$ including shipping + tax.

I am thinking of pulling the trigger on this one to take to india as I am on a vacation trip. I did some research and it seems like PS3 games are region free while its not the case for Blue Ray movies or Dvd movies. A bummer indeed but i suppose you cant get them all! :ashamed:

Coming to the matter on hand.

I just have an old sony tv @ home which i believe takes in the old RF connection :mad: and a 17" Samsung CRT monitor.

What are my best options of getting a display connected on this without buying a HDTV? A hdmi to Vga cable? hdmi to S-video? Wats with the PAL/NTSC format play here? Would i be capable of playin Blue ray movies on a monitor?

:huh: :huh:

Aaaah, too many questions and too few answers. With all these hassles i dunno whether to pull my trigger on this deal even. :(

Some console expert please help me out here or at least give me a run down of the pros/cons of importing a US PS3 to india. :huh:

Thanks in advance!

tarunactivity

Disciple
Aug 12, 2007
Alias said:
It seems i have an option of getting the 40gb PS3 for around 280$ from US after the 100$ off on sony style Credit card (for PS3) and the amazon gold box deal( 5% off) which makes it finally to a price of 279.99$ including shipping + tax.

I am thinking of pulling the trigger on this one to take to india as I am on a vacation trip. I did some research and it seems like PS3 games are region free while its not the case for Blue Ray movies or Dvd movies. A bummer indeed but i suppose you cant get them all! :ashamed:

Coming to the matter on hand.

I just have an old sony tv @ home which i believe takes in the old RF connection :mad: and a 17" Samsung CRT monitor.

What are my best options of getting a display connected on this without buying a HDTV? A hdmi to Vga cable? hdmi to S-video? Wats with the PAL/NTSC format play here? Would i be capable of playin Blue ray movies on a monitor?

:huh: :huh:

Aaaah, too many questions and too few answers. With all these hassles i dunno whether to pull my trigger on this deal even. :(

Some console expert please help me out here or at least give me a run down of the pros/cons of importing a US PS3 to india. :huh:

Thanks in advance!

The 40 gigger should consume less power than the original series since they lack the PS2 hardware, and so i guess you wont be able to play PS2 games.

The ps3 will work on a regular tv using the included composite video cables.
However, i strongly suggest you look at a HDCP compliant TFT monitor, ( that should be pretty easy to pick up from india now .... ). You would need a hdmi / hdmi dvi cable, depending on what type of monitor you pickup .

Forget Blu-ray, to use the PS3 on a monitor via the HDMI output, you need an HDCP compliant device. ( HDTV / monitor with DVI+HDCP / monitor with HDMI)

You wont see anything on the screen if the monitor is not hdmi compliant, and this is true for the xmb as well . No HDCP == blank screen all the time.

You can watch a Blu-ray video on a regular tv, but it will be downgraded to PAL / NTSC ( as a matter of copy protection and because the tv supports only a lower resolution ... )
So:

get a 22" / 24" monitor with HDCP and enjoy! :)

Reactions: 1 person

Alias

Skilled
Aug 29, 2005
Damn! TTA, is that you???

The right guy i wanted to speak to as obviously you brought ur PS3 from US! :eek:hyeah:

So wats the deal on customs here? And is it worthwhile in importing this @ 280$?

TIA

tarunactivity

Disciple
Aug 12, 2007
btw, the PS3 from the US will work on 220/240 V even though the power label mentions US voltages only ..

and , PS2 games from india wont work .. (the original ones too :O ) ...

Yes, hard to beleive i tried a PAL PS2 game on it ... !

Alias

Skilled
Aug 29, 2005
tarunactivity said:
btw, the PS3 from the US will work on 220/240 V even though the power label mentions US voltages only ..

So i dont need a voltage convertor, right? Ok, thats one plus point.

Alias

Skilled
Aug 29, 2005
tarunactivity said:
Forget Blu-ray, to use the PS3 on a monitor via the HDMI output, you need an HDCP compliant device. ( HDTV / monitor with DVI+HDCP / monitor with HDMI)

You wont see anything on the screen if the monitor is not hdmi compliant, and this is true for the xmb as well . No HDCP == blank screen all the time.

When you said forget blu ray you mean that unless i have a HDCP compliant monitor or HDMI monitor i wont be able to enjoy HD right? Or i wont be able to get HD at all???

At the moment i have a 20" 1680X1050 Acer X203Wbd monitor 20" 1680X1050 Acer X203Wbd monitor which seems to show HDCP. Will this be able to output blue ray movies? and if so @ 720p??

tarunactivity

Disciple
Aug 12, 2007
Alias said:
When you said forget blu ray you mean that unless i have a HDCP compliant monitor or HDMI monitor i wont be able to enjoy HD right? Or i wont be able to get HD at all???

At the moment i have a 20" 1680X1050 Acer X203Wbd monitor 20" 1680X1050 Acer X203Wbd monitor which seems to show HDCP. Will this be able to output blue ray movies? and if so @ 720p??

NTSC / PAC / SD / HD / Full GHD indicates the resolution / frame rate ...
So to view HD content , you need a HD source and connectivity such as component cables / HDMI / DVI+HDCP .

If your source is a VCD / DVD , it wont matter what monitor you watch it on , since the source is lower quality anyway.

The PS3 can output analog video as NTSC / PAL / 480p / 720p / 1080i over component cables.

The same resolutions + 1080p can be displayed digitally over HDMI , ** only ** if your monitor supports HDCP . So , you can watch a bluray on a regular tv, but it will appear downscaled 480p ...

The spec seems to list HDCP over DVI . It should support native 720p and might support 1080i / p squished!! :) ( like my sceptre!! )

Gannu

Unbanned
ex-Mod
Alias said:

If this Acer LCD supports HDCP over DVI, u can watch the HD content downscaled @ 720p using a female DVI-to-male HDMI converter; :)

So wats the deal on customs here? And is it worthwhile in importing this @ 280$?

You can carry stuff worth 25k apart from laptops; And for 280$ its certainly a steal. :eek:hyeah: Go ahead. :)

Alias

Skilled
Aug 29, 2005
gannu said:
If this Acer LCD supports HDCP over DVI, u can watch the HD content downscaled @ 720p using a male DVI-to-female HDMI converter; :)

Huh??? I thought it was HDMI to DVI convertor that i needed!!!! :huh:

PS3 - HDMI
|
|
HDMI to DVI
|
|
ACER monitor - DVI

Right?

Alias

Skilled
Aug 29, 2005
gannu said:
Isn't it this way??

Oops.. Yes, u're right..

Typo.. Heh he... :p

Apologies...

Edited. :p

Lol!! No probs! I jst got confused there a lil bit.. :ashamed:

Anyhow, thanks for the advice. Dunno abt this male female thingy, but i suppose i just need to get a HDMI to DVI cable here.

tarunactivity

Disciple
Aug 12, 2007
Alias said:
Huh??? I thought it was HDMI to DVI convertor that i needed!!!! :huh:

PS3 - HDMI
|
|
HDMI to DVI
|
|
ACER monitor - DVI

Right?

PS3 and monitor doing ok. The VGA input on the monitor sucks, but the HDMI and the DVI are brilliant.
Check you monitor specs if HDCP is supported. I cant seem to get the manual for Acer's X-series of monitors.

Yes, you would need a HDMI (male) <------------------> (male) DVI plug.
Look at this cable for a reference ...
For only $2.52 each when QTY 50+ purchased - HDMI DVI Cable 28AWG - 3ft w/Ferrite Cores (Gold-Plated) | 28AWG HDMI-DVI Cables

Gannu

Unbanned
ex-Mod

Alias

Skilled
Aug 29, 2005
Ok, got the PS3 yesterday. Hopefully i should get credited to my SonyStyle credit card which should bring the final price down to 234$ including tax! :)

Now, wats a good LCD monitor that i can get for this? Any monitor recommendations?

FaH33m

Analog Vibes
Skilled
Apr 29, 2006
congratulations. ..on the PS3 ..

by the way what is this sony style credit card exactly ? is it in India or US ?

Alias

Skilled
Aug 29, 2005
FaH33m said:
congratulations. ..on the PS3 ..
by the way what is this sony style credit card exactly ? is it in India or US ?

US credit card.

Sony has these SonyStyle shops for selling exclusively sony items. There was a recent promotion for their credit cards which when used within 90 days of procurement gives you 100$ back on a purchase of > 299$. (Has to be a sony item)