Laptops Acer Aspire One Netbook - Buyer Beware

hellfire

Adept
Mar 17, 2005
Purchased an Acer Aspire netbook sometime back; Atom N450, 6 cell Li-ion battery. Just to let ppl know, its exxxxtremly topple prone. The design of the battery makes it extremely unstable...as in physically unstable. Its a good machine otherwise, but this topple-effect has really put me off :no:

The battery pack forms the base of the front side of the netbook, and its semi-cylindrical in shape :S A slight touch on the screen, by mistake or otherwise, sends the netbook in a flat fall.

Reactions: 1 person

Charun

Skilled
Dec 24, 2009
Mumbai Nagri
thanks man for sharing your problems

and it will be much better if u describe your problems with pics then it will be very easier to understand for everyone

hellfire

Adept
Mar 17, 2005
swastikrj said:
thanks man for sharing your problems

and it will be much better if u describe your problems with pics then it will be very easier to understand for everyone

Yep, I was thinking of it but my room is so so full of chaos ... photographs letay sharam aa rahi thee (ashamed of putting photographs of my chaotic room!).

Charun

Skilled
Dec 24, 2009
Mumbai Nagri
hellfire said:
Yep, I was thinking of it but my room is so so full of chaos ... photographs letay sharam aa rahi thee (ashamed of putting photographs of my chaotic room!).

its ok yaar we all understand that everyone has his or her problems

btw u can take pics only of the lappy and not of the background

and u can also keep it on a pillow and then take pics, so this way your background wont be seen :)

hellfire

Adept
Mar 17, 2005
Wokie, some snaps.

Bought it from Croma for Rs.16,500/- . They were offering a TATA Photon thingie for another Rs.750. Didn't opt for it. Instead, got extended warranty on the netbook (3 years for Rs. 1500/-).

In the display, the Croma guys had the netbook fixed to a display table, so I didn't get an inkling of this topple-over issue. This topple over design is making me go nuts:mad:

And some snaps: Notice the stupid battery design (semi-cylindrical) :mad:

Otherwise its good as far as netbooks go..snappy with Firefox and MS Office 2003.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Acer at Work.jpg
    Acer at Work.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 324
  • battery.jpg
    battery.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 329
  • underside-2.jpg
    underside-2.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 318
  • Underside.jpg
    Underside.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 319

hellfire

Adept
Mar 17, 2005
Amaresh said:
OMG, that's a really weird looking battery. Try to get it replaced if you can.

But its the standard battery that comes with the netbook. Not like its defective or something.

Just made this post so ppl are aware of this issue. Cos when I was googling for this particular netbook, the topple issue never came up (at least in my searches). :S

See this video I made of Acer Aspire 532h unstable design (dunno how to embed it here):

YouTube - Acer Aspire 532h-2Bb

I was applying very little force; in normal day to day use, one can expect much stronger shakes ... say for example working on the move in a train or Metro or a car.

logistopath

Molar Police
Staff member
Super Mod
May 25, 2007
Erode
Probably you could try this: Get those rubber/plastic bushes available for metal chairs - those type of chairs which you see in old offices or government offices with cylindrical metal frames and wire mesh support. You could get one easily from a local furniture shop. Stick it to the battery on either side using a double sided adhesive tape, and you are good to go.

hellfire

Adept
Mar 17, 2005
Well, I thought I'd just update this thread, as a caveat for anyone planning to buy this Acer Aspire One 532h.

It's been nearly four months now that I've been using this netbook. The touchpad originally had a slight textured surface. With four months of use the touchpad surface has simply worn-off, kind of 'erosion', in the area used most. It's not like I have rough sandpaper skin of a stone-crusher or something :bleh: Its just a low quality touchpad I guess.
View attachment 11611
Notice the smooth oval area between the textured area. That is where the touchpad was used most. The area is responding, but the finger movement feels restricted over it.

Btw, even the keypad has started to develop a worn out look, to the point that anyone can guess the keys I've used most :S

Attachments

• acer-tp.jpg
    acer-tp.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 93

hellfire

Adept
Mar 17, 2005
^^ Thts good. I only started this thread so potential buyers are aware :) . Cos I was not, and wasted my money :ashamed: Even forgetting the battery part, I feel its a poor build quality netbook, to be stayed away from ... just my opinion from four months usage. My experience so far tells me, its good enough inside, but poor outside.