Accommodation in Mumbai

krishnandu

Skilled
Dec 25, 2009
Kolkata
www.krishnandusarkar.com
Hello,
Got a job offer from Blue Star Infotech. My posting will be in Mumbai. Office is on The Great Oasis, Andheri(East).

I'm from Kolkata and have no idea about Mumbai. I have also never been out of Kolkata.

So I'd be glad if someone from Mumbai could help me out on few questions.

1. What would be the basic cost of living in Mumbai (Fooding and Lodging) monthly?

2. Regarding renting a Flat / PG or something how much down payment is needed and monthly rent?

3. I'd also like to know the details of cost involved in foods. Well I can't cook. So what are my options there in Mumbai?

4. How the transport works? I mean here in Kolkata max. transport is by Public / Govt. Bus or Metro and for short distance we have to avail Auto. Yeah those who have great income and have much to space avail Taxi's :p So I'd like to know what would be the basic cost involved here in my daily life.

5. Any other parameters that you think I should be aware of like Temperatures, Weather etc. or anything else?

It'd be great if you guys could help me out. Also I'd like to know about Blue Star Infotech too. Yeah I did my basic homework in internet and glassdoor reviews are not that good. So if anyone of you are aware of anything then it'd be great :)

Thanks for your patience :)

vyral_143

Jarvis
Staff member
Super Mod
Nov 28, 2011
香港
Welcome to the city & Congratulations !!

1. What would be the basic cost of living in Mumbai (Fooding and Lodging) monthly?

Approx ₹250/daily for Breakfast-Lunch-Dinner. If you going to eat for some fancy stuff someday add extra.

2. Regarding renting a Flat / PG or something how much down payment is needed and monthly rent?

In Andheri East area, rent would be around ₹22,000-25,000/month for 1BHK. PG would cost approx ₹4000-5000. My one of colleague used to stay in a flat on sharing basis (sharing of 4) with rent of ₹5500/month.

3. I'd also like to know the details of cost involved in foods. Well I can't cook. So what are my options there in Mumbai?

Best option would be hiring a cook who can make food from the material you provide to him/her. It will also turn out more healthier than daily eating outside. Again if staying on sharing basis, cost would be divided.

4. How the transport works? I mean here in Kolkata max. transport is by Public / Govt. Bus or Metro and for short distance we have to avail Auto. Yeah those who have great income and have much to space avail Taxi's :p So I'd like to know what would be the basic cost involved here in my daily life.

If you are renting a flat in Andheri itself, auto rickshaw would be your option. There are buses too but most time they are crowded during peak hours. There is also Metro connectivity if you rent flat in Ghatkopar area. Apart from that Mumbai is well connected with local trains and buses. My suggestion would be do not rent flat away from your workplace and try to maintain travel time of not more than 30-40 mins single side.

5. Any other parameters that you think I should be aware of like Temperatures, Weather etc. or anything else?

Weather here is humid. Temps are in lower thirties. Apart from that Mumbai is always in fast pace. Do learn to travel in local trains; it is fun as well as nightmare. Most importantly enjoy the places.

Do let us know if you have any other queries or need any help/assistance.

Sobirvs

Skilled
Mar 20, 2013
Chrome
I'm not from mumbai nor I know anything about it, but want to stress on this

Best option would be hiring a cook who can make food from the material you provide to him/her. It will also turn out more healthier than daily eating outside.

I have been out of my homecity from last 4 years and one thing I learned in there is that eating outside (or buying outside food and eating inside :p ) sucks big time. Can be fun for a week or 2 may be. You gotta learn to cook or hire a cook.

krishnandu

Skilled
Dec 25, 2009
Kolkata
www.krishnandusarkar.com
Congrats on your job :)

I have no idea about Mumbai though.

Thanks :) Though I'm not sure about moving yet. Just doing my homework :p

Hope you got a big increment as living in mumbai is much more expensive

Well I'd be getting around 57k in hand. Hope that's ok with savings (sending to family).

Welcome to the city & Congratulations !!

Approx ₹250/daily for Breakfast-Lunch-Dinner. If you going to eat for some fancy stuff someday add extra.

In Andheri East area, rent would be around ₹22,000-25,000/month for 1BHK. PG would cost approx ₹4000-5000. My one of colleague used to stay in a flat on sharing basis (sharing of 4) with rent of ₹5500/month.

Best option would be hiring a cook who can make food from the material you provide to him/her. It will also turn out more healthier than daily eating outside. Again if staying on sharing basis, cost would be divided.

If you are renting a flat in Andheri itself, auto rickshaw would be your option. There are buses too but most time they are crowded during peak hours. There is also Metro connectivity if you rent flat in Ghatkopar area. Apart from that Mumbai is well connected with local trains and buses. My suggestion would be do not rent flat away from your workplace and try to maintain travel time of not more than 30-40 mins single side.

Weather here is humid. Temps are in lower thirties. Apart from that Mumbai is always in fast pace. Do learn to travel in local trains; it is fun as well as nightmare. Most importantly enjoy the places.

Do let us know if you have any other queries or need any help/assistance.

Thanks a lot for all the details :)

I don't mind staying on sharing basis, as it'd lower down the cost in huge margin.

So I think with sharing basis 20k (accommodation + food + travel expenses) would be enough for leading a normal living monthly. Ofcourse anything fancy (Drinking + Broadband + Movies + Outing + Anything else) extra. Right?

vyral_143

Jarvis
Staff member
Super Mod
Nov 28, 2011
香港
Ofcourse anything fancy (Drinking + Broadband + Movies + Outing + Anything else) extra. Right?

Yup. Fancy counts for eating in good restaurants, weekend plans such as movies/visiting some places, broadband connection, electricity bills, newspaper if you subscribe to one, etc. Anything other than basic needs will add to cost. IMO you can send back ~₹25,000/month to your home.

Reactions: krishnandu

krishnandu

Skilled
Dec 25, 2009
Kolkata
www.krishnandusarkar.com
Yup. Fancy counts for eating in good restaurants, weekend plans such as movies/visiting some places, broadband connection, electricity bills, newspaper if you subscribe to one, etc. Anything other than basic needs will add to cost. IMO you can send back ~₹25,000/month to your home.

Thanks a lot for all the help :)

Let's see. I still couldn't decide anything about moving...

vyral_143

Jarvis
Staff member
Super Mod
Nov 28, 2011
香港
Let's see. I still couldn't decide anything about moving...

If the job profile offered is really good and is according to your preference give it a try for couple of years. In initial years of career you can try/experiment/learn.
In my personal opinion, If you are getting similar profile in Kolkata but lesser CTC, say a lakh or two less, you should select one from Kolkata. OTOH, if profile is matching and you want to explore city/experience staying in Mumbai, just go for it.

Reactions: Criminal

AsidXxx

Adept
May 28, 2007
@krishnandu With 57k, you can live quite comfortably. If possible, stay somewhere close to office as you'll save on the commute and the headaches :) You'll get a 2BHK (shared between 4) for 25k-30k semi furnished flat in Andheri E. Try looking for flatmates on flatswithoutbroker.com. Asery for food, go in for the dabba system. You can eat out on weekends. Mumbai is not very expensive if you know where to look.

Reactions: abracadabra

krishnandu

Skilled
Dec 25, 2009
Kolkata
www.krishnandusarkar.com
If the job profile offered is really good and is according to your preference give it a try for couple of years. In initial years of career you can try/experiment/learn.
In my personal opinion, If you are getting similar profile in Kolkata but lesser CTC, say a lakh or two less, you should select one from Kolkata. OTOH, if profile is matching and you want to explore city/experience staying in Mumbai, just go for it.

Thanks :) Actually I'm already working in Cognizant with somewhat less like as you said. But as you know, staying in home is a bit different as fooding and lodging is much cheap :p

Blue Star will be 4th company if I join. Actually I was just inquiring as they are saying they will be giving me immediate onsite to UK. So in IT, this is what one looks for. But I'm not 100% sure whether they will offer me that. What if they declines once I move on.

Frankly speaking if they don't provide onsite 2-3 lakh hike is a bad deal if I had to leave hometown and go to Mumbai.

Reactions: Criminal
Aug 29, 2009
Thanks :) Actually I'm already working in Cognizant with somewhat less like as you said. But as you know, staying in home is a bit different as fooding and lodging is much cheap :p

Blue Star will be 4th company if I join. Actually I was just inquiring as they are saying they will be giving me immediate onsite to UK. So in IT, this is what one looks for. But I'm not 100% sure whether they will offer me that. What if they declines once I move on.

Frankly speaking if they don't provide onsite 2-3 lakh hike is a bad deal if I had to leave hometown and go to Mumbai.
The difference in cost of living from kolkatta to Mumbai is enormous. Pls do your math and then consider your decision. I used to always advise my team members if from outside of mumbai to Start calculating backwards, i.e, how much do you need to save first and work out the rest.
Understand this, if your office is in andheri east, unless its @ a walking distance from ur office, an auto ride from ur place to your office will be a bare minimum of 50Rs.
Make sure your rental is as low as possible. Andheri East is ideally where you should stay but frankly its a horrible place to stay.
If your office is close to the station, consider malad or bandra east. Rentals wont be too different and you will have a better life.
Else get a bike bro, i know its too much to ask immediately but its the best way to travel @ mumbai. (especially if you are working at andheri)

Reactions: sabby