Aaram Karo.. Aaram Karo...

bhaskarvyas001

Disciple
Well friends, while profile surfing on Orkut last days I stumbed at this profile of some guy.. The about me had a poem which was so tempting that I could not stop myself from sharing it with you people..
Please read and cherish the humour in it... Cheers!! :hap2: :eek:hyeah: :D

Aboutme.jpg

eventhough studied hindi for so many years,It is still alien for Me.(PS:I can understand basic language...not some kari boli..braj bhasha kind of :bleh:)

(2nd line)

इस डेढ़ छँटाक के राशन में भी तोंद बढ़ाए जाते हो

what's this mean? "dedh" "Chaantaak" "thoand" :ashamed: ????

'Dedh' is one and a half (1.5)

'Chataank' is an old school measuring unit of weight.

'tond' (thoand by you) is the paunch

16 Anna is a rupee.

16 chataank in a 'sair/seer' (sair in itself used to be old name for a kilo.)

Basically conveying that even having access to paltry amount of ration.. you are putting on weight (while ppl can barely eat properly in that lil amount)

that's it ,Not aware of Old school measuring units. :S Although I remembered "Dedh" lateron. :p

PS:While I was at Coimbatore ,heard many times Bus Conductors shouting for change- "8 Anna Kodu"(give 8 Anna's) which means 50 paise...still some follows this units .

NinByChoice said:
Reported OP for violation of forum rules. Please provide translation/meaning in English.

The sad thing is it would never do the original any justice. This form of expression you gotta get in 'version orginale'.

What surprised me is how some native speakers had trouble with it. Is it written in archaic style or was it a vocab thing ?

This shows how the western culture and "English" is impacting the Indian generation today... Well, to add up, it took 15 minutes even for me to read the entire stuff... :)
And am still looking for meaning of various words...

Well having Hindi and Sanskrit till 10th surely helps me, time taken to read around 7min :p

and words are not so hard if you read Hindi literature regularly (and am not talking about other hindi literature :p)

Back