Budget 71-90K A Rig for Video Editing and Gaming

gtcdon

Recruit
What is your budget?

80 - 85 K

Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)

I have a Samsung 18.5 inch tft monitor i'll be keeping from my old system , a 500 gb seagate internal drive and samsung dvd writer

Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

After quite a lot of flipkarting selected these config...please advice me on any compatibility issues or a better choice

SSD
OCZ Agility 3 120 GB SSD
Keyboard & Mouse
Microsoft Combo Wired Desktop 600 USB
Cabinet
Corsair 300R
Graphic Card
ASUS GTX 660 DirectCU Graphic Card
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus V GENE
Processor
Intel 3.5 GHz LGA 1155 Core i7 3770
RAM
G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 8 GB (2)
PSU
Corsair CMPSU-650TXV2UK 650 Watts
HDD
WD Caviar Green 2 TB Desktop Internal Hard Drive

Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component?

those 9 items should be unchanged for next 3 years minimum and i will upgrade monitor soon so monitor not in this list.

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)

Cochin. Will try to get maximum items from cochin or will buy online. Also my friend may bring some parts from mumbai also.

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware

Video Editing - Avid/Premiere
Motion Graphics and small scale VFX - Aftereffects
and some gaming :yes:

Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.

Would prefer asus for motherboard and graphics card and psu corsair only.

Q: Are you looking to overclock?

No....No time for learning overclocking

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?

Windows 7 and 8

So i need you guys to help in tweaking this config for the best results....more likely i would want a cheaper motherboard but i am confused between all h77 and z77 jargons....

@gtcdon

Proccy : Intel Core i5 3570 - ~12.5K
MoBo :ASUS P8H77-V - ~10K Or Gigabyte GA-H77-DS3H - ~7K (There's nothing wrong with Gigabyte, lot of peeps are using it and after sales is good too)
RAM : G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 8 GB (4 x 4 GB) PC RAM (F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL) - ~6K
GPU :
(== Take your pick as per budget, your requirement)
Asus AMD/ATI HD7950-DC2T 3 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card - ~28K
OR
ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 (ZT-60304-10P) 2 GB DDR5 Graphics Card - ~28K
(Take you pick here, both are super cards : comparision : AnandTech - Bench - GPU12 Focus more on synthetic benches, as you are gonna do editing and stuff too)
OR
Asus NVIDIA GTX660 TI-DC2T-2GD5 2 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card - ~21K
SSD : OCZ 128GB Vertex 4 SSD - ~7.5K
HDD : WD Caviar Green 2 TB Desktop Internal Hard Drive (WD20EARX) - ~ 5.8K
PSU : Corsair TX v2650W - ~ 5.9K OR Seasonic S12II 620W - ~5.3K
Cabby : Corsair Carbide 400R - ~4.5K

If you are opting for cards like 670 or 7950 or even 660Ti, running PC on 18.5" monitor with these cards will be overkill. And since your budget is flexible, I would advice to upgrade to monitor too. Check out Dell U2312M priced at ~15.5K

I am not recommending i7-3770 here coz it's priced at 18-19K. Better to opt for i5-3570 and save some bucks on it. And also, no overclocking, no need for z77 mobo like Maximus formula. Better settle for H77 MoBo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do not recommend 2TB Green drives here, their failure rates increases proportionally to the hard-drive capacity (higher = great risk).

Rest all is fine.

Proccy : Intel Core i5 3570 - ~12.5K
I am not recommending i7-3770 here coz it's priced at 18-19K. Better to opt for i5-3570 and save some bucks on it. And also, no overclocking, no need for z77 mobo like Maximus formula. Better settle for H77 MoBo.

If you're serious about your video work, go with an i7, considering Premiere uses hyperthreading. IMHO, if you're doing serious work where you get paid for your video projects, or plan to, consider the initial investment as it will make your overall workflow a little bit smoother, and time = money. This is all IMHO, obviously.

Do not recommend 2TB Green drives here, their failure rates increases proportionally to the hard-drive capacity (higher = great risk).

Rest all is fine.

What he said. If you're running your video edits off the larger drive, consider the WD Blacks.

What he said. If you're running your video edits off the larger drive, consider the WD Blacks.

Blacks are not necessary, any 7200 RPM drive will do. Seagate Barracuda series OR Western Digital's Blue edition.

Black's are expensive and do not justify the premium rates for themselves.

Back