5800 v50 Do i have to update from v40?

raju.03kumar

Disciple
Mar 12, 2008
Chennai
as the thread title say i have a 5800 @ v40 running perfectly. But wat are the bads/goods about the new v50 firmware..

and most importantly the nokia care ppl said they won't update to v50 cas they are facing issue with appz not opening up and the phone hangs.. Did any of you on v50 experience this problem??

And please do share your other views about the v50 firmware:)

agantuk

Skilled
Aug 1, 2009
IMO v40 was better than v50. My phone felt slower after I upgraded to v50. Accelerometer in particular was a PITA. Since I couldn't downgrade, I therefore ended up installing a custom firmware on v50 which has done my work. The CFW is much much faster than what Nokia released, and that is what I am on now.

However, this is not the case with everyone. I did read a lot of posts online where folks stated they felt the v50 was faster. But if I were to give my opinion, I would say, ignore this. Stick to v40. If you really want some upgrades, look for CFW on dailymobile.se

DigitalDude

Skilled
Apr 20, 2008
Chennai
I did a hard reset after installing v50 and the phone is snappier as usual. I can't see any performance degradation, everything is very smooth :)

I frequently use the music player, adobe reader, folderplay, vnc+, rdm+, putty, some games like cnc and plenty of browsing/youtube... nothing has problems. I don't use the maps and gps so don't know about them. any particular app you are concerned about ?

btw full kinetic scrolling doesn't hurt either :p

_

buBleZ

Skilled
May 16, 2006
DigitalDude said:
I did a hard reset after installing v50 and the phone is snappier as usual. I can't see any performance degradation, everything is very smooth :)

+1 I did the same and it helped me too after installing v50

agantuk

Skilled
Aug 1, 2009
Oh well, may be my problems were because I didn't do the hard reset then :) It wasn't any particular app, the phone itself was slow. Menu took long time to come up, accelerometer required a few shakes/ tilts to work, and once applications were opened, subsequent menus would take long. I got irritated and thats when I switched to a CFW

Praks

Skilled
Sep 26, 2007
Have v50 from Nokia, no issues as of now, may be need to hard reset.

How to check this kinetic scrolling in v50 :p

@DigitalDude

Can you tell which code did u use for hard reset ?

ashr

Skilled
Dec 11, 2005
Before I lost my 5800, I was using v50 and I didn't have any issues. In fact, prior to updating to v50, my phone had a serious display bug which would cover the screen with horizontal lines. I'd have to open the camera and point it at a light source or use a plain white wallpaper as a workaround to combat this issue.

Updating to v50 fixed it.

DigitalDude

Skilled
Apr 20, 2008
Chennai
unni said:
Offtopic: @DigitalDude
You seem to be using a lot of apps which I haven't heard about. Could you please give us a list of all the apps you have in your 5800?
folderplay for playing flacs, vnc+ for remotely accessing any vnc server.. i use it for my seedbox, rdm+ for remotely accessing my laptop - both the above are java apps. putty touch ssh client, adobe reader *ahem* version :ashamed: for reading pdf files, screensnap, brightlight for torch. games are command and conquer, EA tetris and progolf 2010.... thats all man many have way more apps than me :eek:hyeah:
Praks said:
Have v50 from Nokia, no issues as of now, may be need to hard reset.

How to check this kinetic scrolling in v50 :p

@DigitalDude
Can you tell which code did u use for hard reset ?
what is there to check for kinetic scrolling, just scroll directly instead of using the scroll bars. it took a few days for me to come out of the old habit.

#7370# is for hard reset. it deletes everything and os will be fresh. so everything should be backed up. I also take backup of the memory card and format it also.. can't really come out of my older windows antics :rofl:
_

baccilus

Skilled
Oct 21, 2007
Chandigarh
Do remember to Hard Reset your phone BEFORE updating the firmware. Of course backup all your stuff.

I did face many issues after updating to V50. Now my phone hangs a lot. Opera mobile for symbian crashes on changing orientation from portrait to landscape. Normal Mini works ok. It takes a little longer to change orientation.