5* vs inverter ac. Which to buy?

Since I am buying from local dealer, Daikin inverter ACs are installed only by company engineers here.

Also Daikin uses R32 refrigerant as opposed to r410a used by other inverter ACs, R32 which is remarkably more eco friendly, with slight increase in inflammable quotient. That's why it's installed only by company professionals. Daikin has released the R32 refrigerant models only in Japan and India initially. Haven't come across any fire accident reported secondary to R32 leak till now.

R32 is going to replace r410a sooner or later, as agreed in environmental conference in 2013. But even then it will take 10plus years. Hitachi has some models with R32 other than daikin at the moment. Sooner probably the other companies will follow.

As coming to the original discussion of inverter vs 5S ACs ; the non inverter models mostly use R22 as a refrigerant, which is much less powerful when compared to r410a or R32 (nearly 5 times) ! Combined with powerful coolant and variable compressor speeds Inverter ACs achieve a remarkable power savings as claimed by manufacturers. Though they claim a 50% more savings, but most of it is thereotical I think. Real world difference should be around 25%, which again depends on many factors.

Buying a R32 optimized AC seems to be a better decision now. R32 isn't backwards compatible because of obvious reasons. You can not just change your coolant to R32, if it isn't shipped with it.

Any opinions in this regard are very much valuable, as I am planning to make a purchase by 2nd April.

Last edited:
Since I am buying from local dealer, Daikin inverter ACs are installed only by company engineers here.

If somebody told you that Daikin inverter ACs are installed only by company engineers then they are bluffing. I bought mine from a local dealer (Balaji - I think). They sent some of their installers. If they are company engineers then for sure they cannot be surprised with the calmness of the Outdoor Unit. Most of the installation and service is outsourced for all electronics especially refrigerators and ACs. The service guys just wear a coat/apron with the logo of the company you called.

I understand that concern, since the service centre is 2km from my house, I can keep a check on that.

As you're using a daikin AC, How about the indoor noise and cooling capacity etc?

Is the Panasonic 0.75T inverter good? It's specs says it runs from 250-850W. The price is too much though. 38k. :eek:
With an Inverter AC its always best not to undersize, since the variable speed compressor can run at higher speeds too (with a drastic drop in efficiency) which can have a negative effect on the whole inverters save power idea.
Yes the Panasonic S series are pretty expensive.

Daikin FTKP50PRV16 1.5 TON INVERTER AC

http://dl.flipkart.com/dl/daikin-ft...it-ac/p/itmdvjppabsuw3y4?pid=ACNDVGRUM6UDZMGY

Any opinions on this AC? Seems to be the most popular model in inverter ACs out there. For usage in Hyderabad.
Check out the FTKM model. Has a significant bump up in efficiency. COP of 3.8 at rated load, which is pretty good.

R32 is going to replace r410a sooner or later, as agreed in environmental conference in 2013.
R410a is basically R32 with a fire suppressing agent mixed in. The only site claiming that R32 is replacing R410a is Daikin's site.
Plus IINM, the higher global warming potential of greenhouse gases has an effect only if the gas is leaked into the atmosphere, right?

Last edited:
I am aware of that, r410a is a blend of many refrigents, out of which r32 comprises 50%..

R32 is more purer form of coolant. It's one third when it comes to global warming effects and 5 - 10% better in cooling capacity. Anyways safety is something that requires utmost priority. That's why I wanted to know some responses by people using it.

I will check out the FTKM50PRV16 model too. Thanks

I have also set my eyes on Daikin 1 tonne Inverter AC (FTKP35PRV16), which retails for 35K on FK. Will enquire locally, before deciding whether to buy online or offline.

BTW @drkrack Does the installation cost that you mentioned (~5.2K) include the stabilizer too?

The indoor noise is also pretty low but then my room is pretty big and I sleep about 20 feet away from the AC. In the auto mode it is almost silent. Cooling is good but then I would expect it from any other Inverter model as well.

The simplest way to discern between the two is in the way they function.

a standard ac operates in a simple on/off mode i.e. if the temperature threshold is not met then the compressor will kick in and then shut off once the desired temperature is met.
this is like a sprinter - fast for a short dash

an inverter ac has a compressor that operates continuously i.e. it is always on as long as the ac is on, however, unlike a standard compressor the inverter compressor can vary its load and thus it's power usage.
this is like a marathon runner - slow but over a longer distance

p.s. don't skimp on the ac tonnage because if the ac cannot cool the room down to the required temperature then it will be running flat out the whole time which is like trying to hit 60 kmph in second gear - very bad for economy.

I have also set my eyes on Daikin 1 tonne Inverter AC (FTKP35PRV16), which retails for 35K on FK. Will enquire locally, before deciding whether to buy online or offline.

BTW @drkrack Does the installation cost that you mentioned (~5.2K) include the stabilizer too?

Yes including stabilizer and 10ft copper pipe
It isn't much when you break down and very good if offered in the included price
It seems high when you've to pay for it. 41k on FK + 5.2k installation will be 46.2k , plus 3rd party will come for installation.
I'm getting it at 46.5 all inclusive locally, so doesn't make sense buying from Flipkart.
The simplest way to discern between the two is in the way they function.

a standard ac operates in a simple on/off mode i.e. if the temperature threshold is not met then the compressor will kick in and then shut off once the desired temperature is met.
this is like a sprinter - fast for a short dash

an inverter ac has a compressor that operates continuously i.e. it is always on as long as the ac is on, however, unlike a standard compressor the inverter compressor can vary its load and thus it's power usage.
this is like a marathon runner - slow but over a longer distance

p.s. don't skimp on the ac tonnage because if the ac cannot cool the room down to the required temperature then it will be running flat out the whole time which is like trying to hit 60 kmph in second gear - very bad for economy.

You nailed it well, this analogy is fairly near to the working principles of inverter ACs. Combine with powerful coolant and you're justified in buying a inverter ACs, especially when your usage is more than 1500hrs PA. The difference between top end 5S and inverter ACs is diminishing, it's 5k in some cases

I kept it in cart for 3 days, Flipkart automatically reduced the price to make it more tempting...
Great marketing strategy

uploadfromtaptalk1427528789745.jpg

does this happen with other products too ? (like computer parts)
Maybe I didn't notice,
But definitely with costlier items in cart. It depends upon the selling pressure on their side and the unsold inventory they're having. I usually get a email on day one reminding me to buy the product in cart, later some discount ensues.

Many a times if you talk to the customer service saying that this item is available much cheaper elsewhere they oblige with further discounts. Flipkart is the best as far as customer satisfaction is concerned. Once I bought nexus 7 2012 at 12k, in a month of my purchase they reduced the price to 10k.. On calling the Customer service I told that I felt cheated; they immediately refunded the difference amount to my Flipkart wallet. They refunded nearly Rs 500 twice for not delivering before promised date to a Flipkart first subscriber!! I haven't seen such honest way of dealing with customers.

Flipkart first subscription is full paisa vasool.

Last edited:
Thats pretty cool, now on i'm going to put items in my cart for a few days and call customer service to ask if a discount is possible. wish i had read this thread before buying my hdd either way thanks for the tip @drkrack

I have seen prices increase for products in cart that are in heavy demand or less quantity also.
Works both ways.

Got Daikin FTKP50PRV16 1.5 TON INVERTER AC installed yesterday. FTKM model was 10k costlier, has some extra sensors with better EER, so didn't feel VFM.

Installation costed 5.3k.. 5mtr Copper pipe was used.
Bought locally instead of Flipkart, total damages 50k.. Flipkart would have been 4k cheaper, but third party installation was a deal breaker.
Genuine Daikin engineers installed the ac, seems like it's the hot selling inverter AC here. Person had installed 4 ACs since morning.

First impressions, absolutely silent AC, you don't hear the indoor unit sound if you keep the ceiling fan at #2..
Outdoor unit is silent too, you need to touch it to confirm it's running.
Cooling is adequate, cools the room in 5min. So far so good. Happy with the purchase.

Last edited:
I'm also buying locally in all probability. One dealer has quoted me Rs.42500/- for the 1 tonne FTKP series model, inclusive of all charges (installation + copper piping + stabilizer). Another has offered to provide me the same at 40,700 (for AC unit, stabilizer plus installation) + price of copper piping as per actual usage. Still looking for other quotes before deciding.

I'm also buying locally in all probability. One dealer has quoted me Rs.42500/- for the 1 tonne FTKP series model, inclusive of all charges (installation + copper piping + stabilizer). Another has offered to provide me the same at 40,700 (for AC unit, stabilizer plus installation) + price of copper piping as per actual usage. Still looking for other quotes before deciding.
If you're sure about tonnage no issues, if you're unsure then consult a AC technician instead. Most advice you to go for higher tonnage in case of inverter ACs. If you are looking between 1 - 1.5ton, get 1.5ton instead. You can't go wrong with daikin, Hitachi, Carrier, Ogeneral, Panasonic, Voltas, Bluestar etc. Be cautious about others.

It does not need a stablizer, you an negotiate better price .

Back