5.1 speakers needed

Dear all,

I currently have an LG LCD and a Western Digital HD Media Player (Gen 1). Currently the sound output is from the TV speakers, which is crappy to say the least!

I need to buy *decent* 5.1 home theater speakers but nothing high end.

I saw these on Ebay -> eBay India: Philips DSP2500 5.1 HomeTheatre System 2500W+DVP3326USB (item 130428820264 end time 15-Sep-2010 08:00:00 IST). Are these any good?

But I'm clueless how to connect these to my TV/Media player. The outputs available on the media player are TOSlink and HDMI. Are these available on the Philips set as well?

Also, please suggest a good 5.1 speakers within 10k budget.

nishant, not sure where you are from. I remember a recent post about some dealer selling Logitech Z5500 for 13.5K in mumbai. If you are in luck and from mumbai, save some more for a month or two and go for this. You wont regret it. But if you are not from Mumbai or not willing to exceed ur budget, then look out for Altec lansing or even creative speakers which I think should fall in the 10k range.. may not be best of class, but still is considered of good quality.

I need the speakers to be hooked upto my Western Digital HD media player and LG 32 LCD via HDMI.

Please note that I dont have an AV receiver as an intermediary.

Will the 5500 suffice in such a case?

Also, as I understand, these are multimedia speakers and not really home theater speakers. Is that true?

You dont need an AVR.

Z5500 is little bit boomy and really VFM. One of those THX certified speakers available.

These are speakers for the computer. Neverthless they are also good for HT setup if you room is decent enough (not big though!!) and you are on a tight budget.

Z5500 has some good reviews. Google and you find a lot on them.

Also as askids mentioned - they are selling for 13,800Rs or so apprx in mumbai. You can grab this opportunity to pick up the same. You won't regret for the logi!!!

nishantgandhi said:
I need the speakers to be hooked upto my Western Digital HD media player and LG 32 LCD via HDMI.

Please note that I dont have an AV receiver as an intermediary.

Will the 5500 suffice in such a case?

Also, as I understand, these are multimedia speakers and not really home theater speakers. Is that true?

Back