4km long urban wifi connectivity possibility

My suggestion would be to sign up with a wimax provider,, this device should work fine wit it and if its not that good pair it up with a parabolic antenna. And you are ready to go.

now the above applies when you are only a client and just trying to catch signals, but if you are also trying to transmit then its a whole different game. The radiation on parabolic antennas are not that low, i alomost had one :( , plus you need to install it at least at a height of 20 feet on a tower.. IMO not a good idea to jump into transmitting area.

the last thing you can try is a yagi antenna, it transmits and receives on a narrow path and long distances, buy you would need to pair it with a amplifier to get some great results.

FYI, i own and use tp w5210g, and my yagi is on its way from singapore .. my AP towers are located at a distance of 1km~ and i am able to receive signals of around 40~ db with internal antenna ( my provider has a fullon tower)

did i make any sense ? :p

can i setup wimax myself? like using a wimax device with airtel broadband at one end and transmitting signal via the wimax device setup my self? since wimax is used in cities, it must be legal to use the same. How about DIY wimax?

You need a license. DIY method is just asking for unnecessary risks and troubles. Don't you have reliance cdma network in your area? They use 800MHz band and you will get around 3Mbps speeds on the USB modem. Else get vodafone or other service providers 3g modem.

Edit: I forgot you already use 3g service.
Just take reliance cdma modem.
Even the bsnl line in my area is dead from April due to some drainage work. Only reliance or vodafone available in my area too. :p

My suggestion would be to sign up with a wimax provider,, this device should work fine wit it and if its not that good pair it up with a parabolic antenna. And you are ready to go.

now the above applies when you are only a client and just trying to catch signals, but if you are also trying to transmit then its a whole different game. The radiation on parabolic antennas are not that low, i alomost had one :( , plus you need to install it at least at a height of 20 feet on a tower.. IMO not a good idea to jump into transmitting area.

the last thing you can try is a yagi antenna, it transmits and receives on a narrow path and long distances, buy you would need to pair it with a amplifier to get some great results.

FYI, i own and use tp w5210g, and my yagi is on its way from singapore .. my AP towers are located at a distance of 1km~ and i am able to receive signals of around 40~ db with internal antenna ( my provider has a fullon tower)

did i make any sense ? :p

I already have two of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/16-dBi-High...ectional_Network_Antennas&hash=item53f82a6f9f WIFI Yagi antenna . I have the height available . What sort of amplifier is required ? Please give an example of a product required .

Yup, but lot of compatibility factor comes in play.. research before you dive in.

are you able to catch signals now from point a to b with the yagi antennas ?

Yup, but lot of compatibility factor comes in play.. research before you dive in.

are you able to catch signals now from point a to b with the yagi antennas ?
Haven't tested yet . Even tplink cpe is not purchased . TPlink dealer has given the option of coming and installing it for 12k for a pair (5Ghz ones ) . On ebay.in cheapest was 5500 for single . Its for office so thinking of going the 12k way as don't want unused equipment if it doesn't work out . Yagi antenna are my own which i am using to extend my router range . Was thinking of covering my WIFI for another 500M radius so was checking WIFI amplifiers . If same Yagi can be used for office even better as Tplink antenna are 2800 per piece making another expenditure of 5600 .

like i said loads of compatibility factor comes in, these stuff are not cheap at all :([DOUBLEPOST=1370186353][/DOUBLEPOST]BTW, are you able to catch wimax providers wit your yagi antenna ?

wimax tariffs are outrageous.. check this out http://www.rcom.co.in/Rcom/personal/internet/wirefree_plans.html

3g seems cheaper. But i have given up youtube and any kind of downloading for over a month now. Just work. Have spent 4.5k on 3g in just 1 month. Not done.

I may find one of my relatives who can offer his terrace which is perhaps 2 KM from my terrace. His building has 10 floors i guess. And there are visibly no big structures. I may able to establish line of sight. What you guys think??

Back