Storage Solutions What am i supposed to do with this laptop HDD, HDTune screenshots inside ?

raksrules

Elite
I have this 2.5" Hitachi Laptop HDD and i was of the opinion that it is totally dead and even i had put up on sale as dead HDD. But i decided to give it a shot and connected it using a HDD enclosure and i was actually able to copy stuff in the HDD, format it. The copy happened at very slow speed of like 5MBps.
So now i fired up HDD tune pro and this is what i get...please check the screenshots.

Suggest me what can be done with this ?
Is this sellable and if yes then how much to expect and in what condition ?
Any way to stop the bad sectors from propagating ?

Attachments

• hdtune1.JPG
    hdtune1.JPG
    170.2 KB · Views: 106
  • hdtune2.JPG
    hdtune2.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 104
The first thing I did was to partition off the bad sectors, so you might have about 3 or more partitions on the drive. Apart from that, nothing can be done.

Do an estimate of the space that you have before the bad sectors, ensure that there is a 5% gap (from the good to bad sectors) to be on the safe side and do the same after the bad sectors too.

Estimate the free space before the bad sectors, make a single partition. Estimate the same for the space occupied by the bad sectors and do the same. Finally, make another partition for the remaining space.

I've done the same, I've partitioned off 8 bad sectors, created 2 partitions and now I'm still using the same HDD. It was a 160GB Seagate HDD on Asus eeePC 1000HE.
I noted down the sector number of bad sectors, and using partition magic avoided the bad sectors and created 2 partitions. No new bad sectors have appeared, I lost ~10GB of capacity due to the few blocked sectors. (but bad sectors usually increase! )

I've done the same, I've partitioned off 8 bad sectors, created 2 partitions and now I'm still using the same HDD. It was a 160GB Seagate HDD on Asus eeePC 1000HE.
I noted down the sector number of bad sectors, and using partition magic avoided the bad sectors and created 2 partitions. No new bad sectors have appeared, I lost ~10GB of capacity due to the few blocked sectors. (but bad sectors usually increase! )

Can you explain in detail what all tools I need to install in PC to find the actual numbers and how to segregate the bad sectors ?
If my understanding is correct and looking at the HDTune screenshot above, i feel i will need to make 3 partitions, the first & third would be without bad sectors while the second one with bad sectors.
I have never done all this so i am unaware about it.

Exactly. Since each green block is of 61MB, count the number of rows x columns you feel as a safe estimate. So, if there are X blocks, the first partition should be of 61*X MB. Do the same with the bad sectors. Remaining size should be whats left out.

Do all this with Windows Disk Managment Utility or any partition manager of your choice.

Back