Video-downloader for non-youtube sites

Kilroyquasar

4 seconds, inhale; 4 seconds, exhale.
Skilled
Jul 20, 2011
Hello!

could someone please tell me about any software that can download videos from sites other than youtube? like from ndtvgoodtimes.com, and likewise. i tried realdownloader, but for some reason, it isn't working on my PC (ie, the bar that's supposed to appear on top right-hand corner isn't appearing). any suggestions are welcome.

thanks!

CapriAnupam

Adept
Apr 1, 2012
Different sites may employ different methods to protect their videos from being downloaded. So, sometimes when one software does not work, other will, which employs a different method for downloading.

You can take a look at various suggestions, here:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/best-free-video-downloader.htm

Personally, I find Freemake Video Downloader to be quite good. I have used it to download videos from YouTube, and Vimeo.

But, sometimes these conventional software might not work, because of different method of protection on some sites... so, you can try software which employ different methods... like Real Downloader, VSO Downloader, StreamTransport, ClipGrab, etc. Some of them I mentioned just now, are not available in that page above.. so try them out too.

Kilroyquasar

Skilled
Jul 20, 2011
Different sites may employ different methods to protect their videos from being downloaded. So, sometimes when one software does not work, other will, which employs a different method for downloading.

You can take a look at various suggestions, here:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/best-free-video-downloader.htm

Personally, I find Freemake Video Downloader to be quite good. I have used it to download videos from YouTube, and Vimeo.

But, sometimes these conventional software might not work, because of different method of protection on some sites... so, you can try software which employ different methods... like Real Downloader, VSO Downloader, StreamTransport, ClipGrab, etc. Some of them I mentioned just now, are not available in that page above.. so try them out too.

you are correct! sometime back, i had employed one of the few methods described online, to download videos off facebook successfully (ones which are uploaded by users, and not through youtube). however, i was stumped when i tried to download videos from NDTV y'day. they have their own player ('NDTV player'; the kind/method of protection you are hinting at). tried to find a workaround for this over the web, and found that a couple of softwares have incorporated new features JUST for downloading videos from NDTV (namely, 'videograbber pro', with the latest version having an 'NDTV downloader' facility, and 'apowersoft video downloader suite'). just for NDTV or its likes, a method that can be employed is of 'screen-recording', which i will try. in fact, as far as i can recall, the softwares i mentioned, they too employ the same method of capturing the video being played on 'NDTV player'.

anyway, got to know about a LOT of methods & softwares to try through this thread. will try with as much as possible.

CapriAnupam

Adept
Apr 1, 2012
A few months ago, my friend had asked how to download a video from a site. The video was embedded into the page, and so, it could not be downloaded by normal means like using a YouTube downloader, where you enter the URL, and it starts to download.. because there was no URL for the video.. just for the webpage.

That's was when I had to look for alternatives. I was able to do it with four of them, which I share below, telling in short about the method they employ.

StreamTransport : This has a quite unique way of downloading videos. It has an inbuilt browser, where you paste the URL, and then it starts detecting elements on the page. When it comes across the video element, it shows details about it in a window below the browsing box, and then the Download button can be pressed to download the video. Should work in most cases.

VSO Downloader : This one is also unique in its working. When it runs, it just listens and waits to detect any video stream in any of the browsers. Once it detects the video stream, it starts downloading. The automatic downloading can be controlled via the settings.

Real Downloader : It first used to be integrated with the Real Player, but is now available as a separate download. It installs plugin into the browser. When a video is played, and you move the mouse over it, a Download button will be displayed clicking which the video will start downloading.

FlashGot : Although it's main use is to integrate download managers with Firefox, but it can detect multimedia streams also, and displays a small flashing icon besides the address bar, pressing which the stream can be downloaded.

I hope this helps. There are some Firefox add-ons, which are really good at downloading videos, which you can try. One of them was suggested above.

Although commercial software might be available for such purpose, but I am a great supporter of freeware, and therefore, I only look for freeware which can get the job done... and mostly, freeware can be found which will do the job.

Good luck.

Reactions: Kilroyquasar

paarkhi

Skilled
Mar 26, 2010
Sorry to hijack OP's thread but I thought the question is in line with his question so posting it here...
Does any of these above mentioned downloaders can download from startv.in (it uses ooyala player technology which streams the video in pieces from different servers) I've tried IDM, flashgot and all other popular downloaders, none of them were able to download it.
For Normal sites I'd suggest OP to try IDM...

Azure

Recruit
Jul 13, 2013
Calcutta, India
cricketcastle.com
Dude, you want a video downloader? Believe me, I have aTube Catcher and it's the best free software I've used so far. It's smooth, has a minimalist user interface and fast too. You can download it for free at many websites; or from their original website only: Click Here

You just need to paste the URL of the video, and BOOM! You're done. You can also use the video search tool to search videos and MP3 downloader to download MP3 files! It also has an in-built stream catcher and video converter, which I regularly use. There's also a screen recorder, which I don't need.. but it might be useful to you, buddy.

Hope this was helpful.

Kilroyquasar

Skilled
Jul 20, 2011
happy to tell you all that the 1st suggestion itself did the job, and that too, with super-ease (esp. for one supposedly troublesome site, NDTV good times) - IDM! :happy:

however, will certainly try other softwares/suggestions as well.

Kilroyquasar

Skilled
Jul 20, 2011
Sorry to hijack OP's thread but I thought the question is in line with his question so posting it here...
Does any of these above mentioned downloaders can download from startv.in (it uses ooyala player technology which streams the video in pieces from different servers) I've tried IDM, flashgot and all other popular downloaders, none of them were able to download it.
For Normal sites I'd suggest OP to try IDM...

IDM isn't working there, as you wrote. did you try atube catcher, or a few other normally unknown wares suggested here?

paarkhi

Skilled
Mar 26, 2010
IDM isn't working there, as you wrote. did you try atube catcher, or a few other normally unknown wares suggested here?

I've tried and it doesn't work to catch the stream, because the stream is comng from different sources in parts, I don't want the Real time on-screen recorder.

raksrules

Elite
Aug 30, 2007
Mumbai
I have come across some youtube videos (usually uploaded by companies) which refuse to download by whatever means i try. I had even opened a thread about this on TE. May be i will try these methods on such videos.

vivek.krishnan

BLR~ZRS-TX-1-MX
Skilled
Dec 18, 2009
Ghatkopar, Mumbai
plus.google.com
just found that yesterday could not download from YouTube - seems they have changed some setting? The only software I could find that worked was MassTube - but it downloaded some system optimizer pro too.

See if this works - https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByoBGpu4hq-bazQ3M3lYUWREcmM/edit?usp=sharing, contains the Program Files folder exe.[DOUBLEPOST=1374046675][/DOUBLEPOST]Just unRAR, and run MassTube.exe - should not ask for admin access or anything like that. For more info --> http://www.masstube.cl/, but as I mentioned, the installer is installing stuff without asking for permissions.