Home Gym on a Budget

Party Monger

Skilled
Hello I was wondering if anyone works out a home or could advice?

Dumbbells
I checked out a few places for Dumbbell and they were priced crazy. Like 150/kg for Hex dumbbells. Two dumbbells of 10kg would cost Rs. 3000 LOL

Since its just dead weight I thought I'd ask here. What are the alternatives?

Adjustable dumbells - I dont mind getting them or the slight hassle with them. They are cheaper since the weight gets reused. But I have been looking around and not a lot of people have bigger weights in them.

> Steel weight - Goes to 100-110Rs per kg.
> Rubber- Goes to 45/Kg but the are larger in size/kg. Like the ones for barbells. Not practical for dumbbells
> Iron- Around 100/kg
> Beet (I think its pig iron or something) - 45/kg and are small, pretty nifty, decent size. But they look extremely FUGLY and unfinished. Guy told me I could fit 3 x 10kg rings on each side of the dumbbell. so that's 60 kg of weight per dumbbell max.

Other Equipments
Barbells - Can I find barbells that use the same weights as the dumbells?

Bench- Cheap durable bench that can also incline and decline? The one in the gym i went to seemed good and simple enough to be not too costly

Thick Yoga mat - The whole house is tiled to perfection. A scratch and i'l probably be disowned :p So probably two of these.

Squat rack - Will I need it? I've read about dumbbell squats. Should serve the purpose? Also cant have a huge rack lying about. lol

Any other Equipment- Do suggest if im missing something.

Please do advice on any of the above points especially if you are doing it on a budget.

Also,
> The aim is to counter lazyness with a home gym.
> I already have a decent gym subscription that I dont use.
> I dont want to be huge, I just want to be fit and ripped.

Mods - Please dont merge this with the fitness thread.

Amit it will max out at 15-20kg per dumbell. Thats almost nothing after a month of training. And rubber plates you can barely add one or two before it maxxes the area to add more weight. So basically either your dumbells increase vertically which is awkward or you use limited weight.

Basically It doesnt work in the long run or even after a few months.

Yes, Dumbbells are not comfortable, as the size of discs are almost twice bigger in size. Can be worked good enough with 2kg plates(size is small enough for 2 kg plates). meaning max 8-12kg per dumbbells.

SO I was searching for relatively cheap dumbells and this all I get in the market ->
Why cant they just paint them black or something. Look like shit. Can i just get them painted black or somthing? They cost 22 per POUND. Can anyone check around sport shops in their city?

(crossposted)

Well prices quoted by you here are quiet steep. The sports shop near my place sell rubber plates for Rs.9/- per pound.

Woah really? What city?
Could you ask the rates for metal ones? The rubber ones double in size with weight. Cant use them for dumbbells. Maybe just barbells.

If you were in Gurgaon, I could have sold my stuff to you for quite cheap. Currently I have rubberised weights (20Kg x 2, 10Kg x 2, 5Kg x 2), few steel rods (for bench press and barbell curls) and a bench. Could have given you all for 4K (bought them for like 8K). Literally unsused stuff.

SO I was searching for relatively cheap dumbells and this all I get in the market ->
Why cant they just paint them black or something. Look like shit. Can i just get them painted black or somthing? They cost 22 per POUND. Can anyone check around sport shops in their city?

(crossposted)

if you are in delhi, i saw couple of street vendors selling black ones. No idea of price though.
Location: between delhi police headquarters & passport office, ITO.

if you are in delhi, i saw couple of street vendors selling black ones. No idea of price though.
Location: between delhi police headquarters & passport office, ITO.

Really? Street vendors selling dumbells? Are these reliable... quality wise? I might consider getting them, if so.

Just a word of advice. Make sure you be regular to use the home gym.
Many times it happens that we get stuff and end up not using them. Happened with me.
May be you can try body weight exercise for few months to see if you are regular with it, then jump to weights next.

I reside in New Delhi. Will let you know more about prices by Monday.
Thanks mate, Will look forward to what you find.

Just a word of advice. Make sure you be regular to use the home gym.
Many times it happens that we get stuff and end up not using them. Happened with me.
May be you can try body weight exercise for few months to see if you are regular with it, then jump to weights next.
I have worked out before. I think if its at home i'l find the motivation to do it. Going to the gym was a big PITA and took atleast 2 hours.

Also body weight exercises are too uncomfortable for me. I dont know why but they end up just pushing me the wrong way. Especially pull-ups. Its like this continuous feeling that my joints wil pop out of their sockets anytime. :p[DOUBLEPOST=1370855732][/DOUBLEPOST]Saw this deal -> http://www.snapdeal.com/product/protoner-branded-protoner-weight-lifting/435224?pos=26;138

With 25% off comes to 3200. Not bad, but they are rubber weights. Useful if you want just for benchpress.

The quotes I got in Delhi are Rs. 25/kg for rubber and Rs. 110/kg for steel ones. Rs. 180 extra for the dumbell rod.
Btw, is it strange if a magnet sticks to the steel plates? I used my magnetic phone case to try the steel plates and it stuck. Does that denote anything about quality? Or is it just the norm for dumbell plates, ie. they're mixed with a good bit of iron or something?

Back