Can I use a ADSL+ modem plus wifi router as a standalone wifi router?

Emil

Skilled
This might be a strange question.
My home is in Mumbai and I have temporarily (don't know for how long) relocated to Pune. At Mumbai I had MTNL broadband but have kept it in safe custody. I currently use Tikona wired LAN connection at Pune and Mumbai.
I need to buy a Wifi router for my Tikona connection. However, if I buy a standalone router, it will be a waste when I finally return permanently to Mumbai. I have read somewhere that people have used a ADSL+ Modem+Wifi router as a standalone wifi router. If that is possible, I would prefer to buy this so that I can use it for my MTNL Triband later on.
Can somebody confirm this? Any idea which models have worked?

Will it be a waste ? only if the new router has worse coverage than your MTNL router. If you buy a new wifi-only router, then when you return the old one will just work as a modem-bridge with its wifi switched off.

Now, if you had coverage issues with the MTNL router, the new one will be an asset. However if the MTNL router gave you adequate coverage then the new one will be redundant.

The thread title is confusing btw. It seems like you are asking whether you can use your MTNL router with your Tikona connection ?

Does the MTNL device have a WAN port? Most modem cum wireless routers come with only a RJ-11 port for the DSL line (plus an n port switch) I am not sure of Tikona, but it may require a WAN port to operate.

If you can let us know the model number of the device it would be helpful.

YES
I have a huawei WIFI ADSL modem , did the same thing . Use one of the four LAN ports to connect to internet and it will share that with other 3 LAN ports and with WIFI . Get the RJ45 from Tikona and connect to any of LAN ports .

^ That means the Tikona CPE does the NAT, so the wireless router will simply work as a wireless access point and the routing functions will not be used.

Exactly, if kuduku is using the huawei as a plain AP, then where does the userid/pass get done. Is he using a dialer on the pc ?

Does Tikona provide a CPE at all, though it was just a cat5 cable.

if you use the WAN port then that is where the password gets passed over.

If you use the LAN port then the password exchange happened somewhere else. All the AP does is take a internet signal and blast it out over the air.

@blr_p

Yes, they use a CPE. This is the one they used when they came for a demo -- http://www.ubnt.com/nanostationloco I didn't take the connection as it was flaky, random packet loss etc. But I don't think those devices does NAT, so you may need a device with a WAN port after all. But if Tikona allows multi user connections, they may allot more than 1 IP addresses in which case you do not require NAT.

Tikona uses a web based login page.

@kuduku : Have you tried to use Tikona the way you have described? What was the name of the CPE? Did it require NAT?

Last edited by a moderator:
I didnt try it with Tikona , I tried with EVDO shared to LAN port of laptop . The LAN out cable went in one of the LAN port of router . Had done this to install debian on dockstar and pogo . It had worked

I didnt try it with Tikona , I tried with EVDO shared to LAN port of laptop . The LAN out cable went in one of the LAN port of router . Had done this to install debian on dockstar and pogo . It had worked

That is fine, as the laptop would be doing NAT and may act as a DHCP server too. You cannot say the same for the Tikona CPE. AFAIK its just an access point and has no NAT or routing functions and may not work the way you have described.

@Emil : If the MTNL router has a WAN port, then it can be used with Tikona 100%. If not, you will most likely need a new wireless router.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think my question was misunderstood. I have a MTNL connection in Mumbai with a ADSL Modem plus WiFi router provided by MTNL (adequate coverage for my needs). The connection is in safe custody and I do not pay any rent although I have physical custody of the CPE.
Right now I do not remember what ports are on the MTNL CPE as I have not seen it for long. Nor do I remember the model number. I may have that in some post somewhere. Need to check. I vaguely remember it has a WAN port but can't be sure. As per what I have read, I cannot use the WAN port but must use one of the LAN ports as my input connection.
Since I have relocated to Pune, I have a wired LAN internet connection of Tikona (I have this connection in Pune and Mumbai) and I wanted to buy a simple wifi router. But I also wondered, if I buy and use a adsl modem plus wifi router for Tikona. Even though it is more expensive and unnecessary, when I finally return to Mumbai for good, I can use this cpe and return the MTNL one and stop paying the monthly cpe cost. That was the primary thought.
The secondary one was that I can also configure the MTNL CPE to be used as a plain wifi router in Mumbai but that is not an essential requirement. This second thought was not part of my original post.
From the above responses, I believe the answer is "Yes", I can use a ADSL modem plus wifi router device as just a wifi router.
Tikona provides me a ruckus box in my home with a simple LAN connection with a dynamic IP. There must be some antenna, hub, switch whatever on the terrace.
I am not a heavy user and downloader. Just need it for one desktop (LAN) and a couple of smartphones (WiFi).
Which is the cheapest ADSL modem plus wifi router that will work for me as just a wifi router with Tikona and as a adsl plus wifi router with MTNL later?

Since I have relocated to Pune, I have a wired LAN internet connection of Tikona (I have this connection in Pune and Mumbai) and I wanted to buy a simple wifi router. But I also wondered, if I buy and use a adsl modem plus wifi router for Tikona. Even though it is more expensive and unnecessary, when I finally return to Mumbai for good, I can use this cpe and return the MTNL one and stop paying the monthly cpe cost. That was the primary thought.
Correct.

From the above responses, I believe the answer is "Yes", I can use a ADSL modem plus wifi router device as just a wifi router.
Correct again but why do you want to buy a modem+wifi unit.

If you buy just a wifi router, you will be fine in Pune.

When you return back just get a seperate modem and attach it to your new wifi router.

Which is the cheapest ADSL modem plus wifi router that will work for me as just a wifi router with Tikona and as a adsl plus wifi router with MTNL later?
Were you happy with the range & perfromance the MTNL router gave you ?

I think my question was misunderstood. I have a MTNL connection in Mumbai with a ADSL Modem plus WiFi router provided by MTNL (adequate coverage for my needs). The connection is in safe custody and I do not pay any rent although I have physical custody of the CPE.
Right now I do not remember what ports are on the MTNL CPE as I have not seen it for long. Nor do I remember the model number. I may have that in some post somewhere. Need to check. I vaguely remember it has a WAN port but can't be sure. As per what I have read, I cannot use the WAN port but must use one of the LAN ports as my input connection.
The secondary one was that I can also configure the MTNL CPE to be used as a plain wifi router in Mumbai but that is not an essential requirement. This second thought was not part of my original post.
Tikona provides me a ruckus box in my home with a simple LAN connection with a dynamic IP. There must be some antenna, hub, switch whatever on the terrace.
I am not a heavy user and downloader. Just need it for one desktop (LAN) and a couple of smartphones (WiFi).
So you have wired LAN of Tikona , just put that in one of LAN ports of router and you have WIFI access

Correct again but why do you want to buy a modem+wifi unit.

If you buy just a wifi router, you will be fine in Pune.
I am aware of that but felt that I could take it to Mumbai when I finally move back and return MTNL's CPE and save 50 bucks a month.

When you return back just get a seperate modem and attach it to your new wifi router.
I amleaning towards that but I wanted to consider the combo CPE in order to reduce the number of pieces and mess of wires. Might go for TP-Link TL-WR740N

Were you happy with the range & perfromance the MTNL router gave you ?
Yes. I have a 1 BHK flat in Mumbai with the max distance around 30 feet perhaps and 3-4 walls in between the longest distance. Never tried it for the worst case but it was OK for whatever I used it for. Those days we didn't use smartphones but I used it with a laptop.[DOUBLEPOST=1367057624][/DOUBLEPOST]
So you have wired LAN of Tikona , just put that in one of LAN ports of router and you have WIFI access
I get it. Which would be the cheapest device that will work? What kind of settings (DHCP for instance) would be required? I am asking because the device is probably not designed to be used that way. The guide may not have details for such usage.

I am aware of that but felt that I could take it to Mumbai when I finally move back and return MTNL's CPE and save 50 bucks a month.

I amleaning towards that but I wanted to consider the combo CPE in order to reduce the number of pieces and mess of wires. Might go for TP-Link TL-WR740N

Yes. I have a 1 BHK flat in Mumbai with the max distance around 30 feet perhaps and 3-4 walls in between the longest distance. Never tried it for the worst case but it was OK for whatever I used it for. Those days we didn't use smartphones but I used it with a laptop.[DOUBLEPOST=1367057624][/DOUBLEPOST]
I get it. Which would be the cheapest device that will work? What kind of settings (DHCP for instance) would be required? I am asking because the device is probably not designed to be used that way. The guide may not have details for such usage.
Try your existing WIFI MTNL router or get the cheapest ADSL WIFI router from a good company as per your second requirement of saving money of MTNL CPE

Yes. I have a 1 BHK flat in Mumbai with the max distance around 30 feet perhaps and 3-4 walls in between the longest distance. Never tried it for the worst case but it was OK for whatever I used it for. Those days we didn't use smartphones but I used it with a laptop.
Good, then a unit within the same price range as your MTNL router will suffice. Assuming your pune flat is similar in size to your mumbai one.

With these kinds of units, 1 wall (11 inches) Or 2 walls(6 inches) + 20 feet will work.

Any more walls and your signal may not get through. Smartphones are lower powered than laptops and will need to be closer. Thing is your requirement is very basic so simple web browsing should work ok for the most part.

You don't want that model, because its not an ADSL model, its just a wifi router.

Since you want adsl models then then these tp-link adsl models will suffice.

You linked to openwrt, there is no possibility of running alternative firmware with adsl models or at least i'm not aware of any.

I vaguely remember it has a WAN port but can't be sure. As per what I have read, I cannot use the WAN port but must use one of the LAN ports as my input connection.

Its the other way around, you need a device with a WAN port and Tikona must be connected to the WAN port. You can use the LAN ports on the device if and only if the Tikona CPE does NAT which is highly unlikely (or if Tikona allows multiple devices to be connected directly and provides multiple IP addresses). If they give only a single dynamic IP, you need NAT period, for which you need to connect it to the WAN port.

They give a wireless access point similar to this one -- http://www.ubnt.com/nanostationloco which is fixed at the terrace. The small box is probably a Power over Ethernet adapter.[DOUBLEPOST=1367090075][/DOUBLEPOST]

This will not work in all cases. Please check my response above.

can you give more details (model#) about the ruckus box.

Its probably a POE adapter

kGIV70X.jpg

And this should be the adapter on the terrace

SBGbafu.jpg

It seems like a WAN port is necessary here to do dhcp back to tikona.

I'm not sure if an adsl router can be used in that case because they don't have wan ports. its just rj-11 to rj-45.

Hmm, he needs an adsl router that can *also* support cable connections. One that has an interchangeable LAN/WAN port or in tp-link speak is known as 'EWAN' (!).

8jdujNJ.jpg

There's only a couple of 100mbit N300 adsl and 1 with gigabit ports that will do this.

TD-W8960N
TD-W8968 (also supports 3G)
TD-W8970 (gigabit ports) +3G

I don't see any support for cable connections with the adsl N150 tp-links though. Its just adsl only. Or they can act as acess points but nothing more.

Back