ASUS RT-N13U B1: Repeater mode issue

mk76

Adept
Got my N13UB1 yesterday. I am trying to setup as repeater. Either I am not able to understand how to setup or there is some issue with router.

Setup :

Room A ( Dlink - 54mbps Wireless Adsl router) ----> Room B (Plan to setup N13U) ---> Room C (Desktop with wifi-dongle)

1) Room A :
** Able to connect to RoomA-WIFI
** AP Mac confirms it is connected to Dlink
**** Device : SGS3, Laptop (win7x64)

2) Room B :
** Keep on connecting.
** Win7 shows network connect with limiter internet connectivity.
** IP address is wierd - 163.x.x.x with no default gateway.
** Signal strength -V.Strong.
** AP Mac confirms it is connected to N13UB1
**** Device : SGS3, Laptop (win7x64)

3) Room C : Same as Room B
Device : Desktop(win7x32),SGS3, Laptop (win7x64)

Steps :
1) Start Dlink Modem-Router. Wait for connectivity
2) Start N13UB1 in repeater mode. Wait for WIFI light to stabalize
3) Try to connect through wifi.

Hope I am able to express the issue clearly. Need help on this.

Thanks @blr_p. I will read and try to setup again.

Just for my understanding, is it a necessary step to connect to repeater via a 'wired' pc/laptop and choose the preferred access point? If yes, does that need to be done every time I restart ADSL/Repeater. My desktop is in Room C with no wired reach to Room B(where repeater is placed), so that could be an issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just for my understanding, is it a necessary step to connect to repeater via a 'wired' pc/laptop and choose the preferred access point? If yes, does that need to be done every time I restart ADSL/Repeater. My desktop is in Room C with no wired reach to Room B(where repeater is placed), so that could be an issue.
Only at the configuration stage. Once done there is no need to have a wired connection.

You said repeater, so that is a wireless connection to your PC.

Bridge however is wired where you use the router like a wireless adapter. This is not what you are doing.

May seem obvious, but have you reset the Asus after moving the switch to position 2 and run the configuration wizard? Is the Asus connecting properly in the wizard?

1) Yes I reset Asus in Room B, after moving switch to position 2. I was connected to repeater via ethernet. Picked up the desired AP. All seems well.
2) Then I removed the lan cable from laptop -> repeater. Restarted to repeater to check if configuration is autopicked. Also I moved back to the farthest point from source router.
3) Here I could see the extended network ( I use lenovo access connections, that shows mac id of AP) . When I try to connect it asks for passphrase. Upon that it keeps on trying and does not obtain an IP.

Two observations
1) From my laptop I pinged (repeatedly) to both repeater IPs(pre and post config - 192.168.1.220 and 192.168.0.140(assigned by source router).
-- Then I tried to connect the AP
---- The ping started from numerous 192.168.1.1 Destination Host Unreachable ... and ended at
---- 192.168.0.130 Destination Host Unreachable ( This IP is usually assigned to my Laptop by the source Router DHCP with lease time 1week)

2) I then connected to source WIFI router and checked the logs .. found lots of following lines .. not sure what it means.
Friday May 31, 2013 03:21:48 Associated: Cx-xx-xx-D4-Ex-xx st=0
Friday May 31, 2013 03:21:50 Disassociated: Cx-xx-xx-D4-Ex-xx because RX deauth req

To add, I am using WEP security (64 bit) with only alphabets in key, based on recommendation on ms site

Odd, it seems you've done this right - I use the same router as a repeater and apart from not being able to allocate a fixed IP to it I have no issues.

The only difference between your setup and mine is that I use a very complex passphrase and WPA2-PSK encryption, and that I have a hardware access list (MAC filter) enabled in the master router and the IP of the repeater added explicitly. The Asus has no problems in repeater mode with these settings. As a matter of fact, it's easier to set up than the dedicated WNRPT2000 I have.

Does your router have a 'Connected devices' list? Does the Asus appear in that list?

I don't think it will appear in connected device list... (refer to observation 2 in my post) The log shows the router 'Disassociated' the repeater.[DOUBLEPOST=1370008358][/DOUBLEPOST]To add..
1) I started the repeater, but did not connect any device to it.
2) I see that Repeater does show in 'Connected device list' of source Router.
3) It seems, it is only when the laptop tries to connect to the repeater, and it tries to connect to the router - the issue arise.

---- that's confirmed.
4) After 5 mins. I tried to connect to the repeater. At that moment, the repeater gets disconnected from the router and log starts showing Disassociated messages.

Gave me trouble initially in setting it up, but after that it works flawlessly as a repeater, and gives great coverage. It's on my ground floor, and covers from basement to terrace [which is above the second floor].

I need to reboot the repeater maybe once a month or so.

Yup, recommended. [I'm using the stock firmware].
Can you give some inputs in this thread ?

Another thing.

1) I started the repeater in the farthest corner and connected laptop via ethernet.
2) I was routed to AP config page, where I picked up my home network SSID.
3) After a min, the IP was updated and I got connected to the internet. (I am still connected to repeater via lan).
4) At that time, I removed the lan cable and without restarting the repeater I tried to connect to the extended WIFI.
5) The laptop could not obtain an IP and Limited network access sign started showing up.

Post a shot of the IPv4 configuration properties from your laptop, please.

Is your laptop the only wireless client, and if you have any other clients, do they have the same behaviour?

If it's working as a wired AP there is no reason for repeater mode to not work correctly (if the router is not defective).

Which model number is your d-link. If its using WDS , then WEP might be your only encryption setting allowed. From what i can tell your asus will not stay associated with the d-link.

dlink-502t modem -> dlink-524 wifi router -------------> asus rt-n13ub1[DOUBLEPOST=1370019231][/DOUBLEPOST]
Cant you use the ADSL modem in modem only mode and connect the N13 to it with a wire? The range is pretty good, at least for me.

Understand that. Although the distance between the farthest points, is 3 walls. Don't think it will cover that. Moreover the intent is also to know , if the piece I have is defective.

If you think the device may be defective, do a thorough check. But AFAIK, if it boots up, and can be seen on WiFi, then it mostly will be a softwre issue. Do update the firmware OR do the smart thing and get DD-WRT.

@blr_p Regarding the purchase of the new router, shall be putting up the thread on Sunday. (y)

Final (seems to be for the moment ) updates.
I thought of trying something different.

1) Wifi-Tethered my SGS3 3G connection in Room A
2) Reset repeater and set that up for 3G connection in Room B.
3) Laptop was able to connect using ethernet cable.
4) Pulled out the cable, and enabled the wifi on laptop. Worked OKAY. Gr8...
5) Moved the phone to the farther point in Room A. Stopped the repeater and then moved the laptop to Room C. Wifi Tether singal was 18% ( Wow. SGS3 is powerful)
6) Starter the repeater. Signal 53% . tried to connect.
7) And it connected successfully. Phew... finally. No drops, no issue. Security - WPA-PSK.

So the culprit seems to be dlink modem-router combo (6 yrs old at least). For now, will use it as router with dlink modem, or may buy a adsl modem (preferrably ASUS).

Thank you very much guys, for helping me and sharing valuable inputs. Knowledge I gained is a bonus.

@blr_p @cranky @vivek.krishnan Thanks :)

Its not just you. Me too had a bad day. Needed to backup files from the GoFlexHome before doing a reset and needed more speed so plugged in the GbE switch. My net stopped working. After literally spending an agonizing 10 mins without internet and troubleshooting everything, found the culprit, the WAN cable wire had moved out a bit, but the WAN port was blinking on the N13. Removed and plugged it back in. And praise to the gods, the path to the digital universe was restored!

Back