A noob's guide on buying consoles!

Gannu

Unbanned
ex-Mod
Getting a modded version is hard as on today unless someone is willing to sell you a second-hand one and those are being charged a premium knowing that the newer batches of consoles cannot be modded. So get the cheapest super-slim (12 GB) and get a few copies of exclusive titles. Once a game is completed, you can delete the save data to make space for newer ones. In case you need added space, get a 320 GB laptop hard drive and install it yourself (the PS3's hard drive is user-upgradeable; refer Youtube videos).

i_rock098

Adept
Jul 18, 2011
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice...

I think I will go with PS3 as I would mostly be looking to play singles or sometimes may be double with my friends..

So tell me what should I choose...

what is modded version.
what should be HDD size .....

Thanks

If you are playing legit games you don't need to worry about anything related to modding,
The HDD size depends on your choice, are you planing to buy digital games from PSN?, if yes then you should get a larger HDD, if you just going to play them off the disk then you can very well go with a smaller HDD along the size of 80-120GB.

fshaharyar

Disciple
Sep 3, 2009
hi guys,

I do get your point...

so is there any risk involved if I get it modded..

I had gone to a sony exclusive showroom to check PS3..... but it looked a bit cheap with plastic finish..

I liked the earlier version of the PS3 with glossy finish..

whats the difference between them... functionality wise or having any upgradation or spec

manucitc

Disciple
Aug 8, 2012
I was almost ready to buy xbox 360 today but after reading last of us discussion thread and
review last of us has got,i have put purchase on hold for some time..
Can any one give me honest (not bias) which console should i get?..
I am noob at gaming,never played a single game in my life not even mario when i was small...
money is not an issue and i will be playing game with all original game purchase...

And My brother want kinect,so if I buy PS3 with move and eye combo is it good alternative to Kinect?...

artikle

Unknown Member
ex-Mod
Jun 25, 2010
Personally, I prefer PS3, because I like their exclusives a lot better and somehow gives me a lot better experience in games, I'm talking of the experience and feel, not the performance. They are more emotional and satisfying(for me). Moreover, I like move a lot better because it is useful in more serious games and gives a better feel(though you won't be using motion gaming much on any platform). Keeping that aside, gamers prefer to have both consoles and both are great, but some how most Xbox games feel superficial, though there are many really great games. You need to ask @Gannu . Ideally you need to own both consoles but that is hard. No console is better but you need to decide based on the type of games you like. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

manucitc

Disciple
Aug 8, 2012
Main problem is I have never played any game so far so don't know really which type of game I am looking for...
But lately I am closely following discussion here on gaming section and some of title like last of us make me excited to have one console in life....and I have so much free time as job hour is from 6 to 3 ..so buying any one console next week for sure but not sure which one...last of us game alone wanted me 2 buy PS3...but here come my brother who need kinect as he is only 10 year old so can't own both right now( not due to money,but never own any console ) so looking for something enjoyable first then think about owning another....
So again guys which one should I buy ps3 or Xbox 360...modding and hack not require as will be playing all original games...

Look like I have to visit @Gannu in Surat..

artikle

Unknown Member
ex-Mod
Jun 25, 2010
@manucitc In other thoughts, most Xbox games are on PC, so PS3 and PC should be a good combo :)

krishnandu

Skilled
Dec 25, 2009
Kolkata
www.krishnandusarkar.com
I'm also not much into gaming. But thought of getting a console. Probably 2nd Hand PS3. Would it be a good idea?

I must mention that I don't like gaming much. Maximum times I end up playing first few chapters of the game to enjoy the graphics and end up uninstalling the game.

I mainly loved and completed the whole CoD Series, Battlefield Series, NFS Series, POP Series, Lara Tomb Series, Splinter Cell Series etc. I love these type of gaming much instead of fighting some super power aliens. So as you can see I mainly love RPG Games (I hope we call it RPG, correct me if I'm wrong), like fighting as an Army.

I also like Car Racing (No Bike Racing please), like NFS, Grid etc. GTA is everyone's favourite, that's different.

So would it be a good idea to purchase PS3 according to my requirement?

Also, I don't understand the thing between 4GB, 160GB, 320GB thing. I can understand we can download and play games if we have larger HDD's. But isn't max. times we supposed to buy CD and play? If going that way is 4GB one enough? Generally for what purpose is the HDD's used for?

prabs

Skilled
Jul 24, 2006
Main problem is I have never played any game so far so don't know really which type of game I am looking for...
But lately I am closely following discussion here on gaming section and some of title like last of us make me excited to have one console in life....and I have so much free time as job hour is from 6 to 3 ..so buying any one console next week for sure but not sure which one...last of us game alone wanted me 2 buy PS3...but here come my brother who need kinect as he is only 10 year old so can't own both right now( not due to money,but never own any console ) so looking for something enjoyable first then think about owning another....
So again guys which one should I buy ps3 or Xbox 360...modding and hack not require as will be playing all original games...

Look like I have to visit @Gannu in Surat..

I swapped the Move Kit for a game the moment I purchased the PS3 and I don't regret it. Having used the Move at a friend's place I can tell you this it is a novelty that wears off in a few minutes if not hours and will be left in a corner collecting dust. I was not sure at the moment of purchase if to keep or trade the move kit but a few members here pitched in and said it was not worthwhile and they were right. Kinect should be no different.
Games like Red Dead Redemption, Driver: SF look better than they do on the PS3 but not a huge difference you can't play and if it is graphics you are after then neither beat the PC.
So the decision of which console to buy solely rests on the exclusives but PS3 edges out the 360 in this department due to the sheer variety of genres they cover.
Sure Xbox has Gears of War, Halo but PS3 has Killzone, Resistance
Xbox has Forza but PS3 has Gran Turismo
The list can go on and on but Xbox has no answer to games like the Uncharted Series, Last of Us, Heavy Rain etc,
I think Beyond:Two Souls is going to be a PS3 exclusive as well.
Long story short - Get the PS3 for the games. Get the Xbox if you need a gamepad with better triggers. Move and Kinect are both meh... Nothing beats cricket in the building compound where full toss on car windows, windshield or lights is out.

Btw I thought @Gannu was based in Mumbai or Thane.

i_rock098

Adept
Jul 18, 2011
I was almost ready to buy xbox 360 today but after reading last of us discussion thread and
review last of us has got,i have put purchase on hold for some time..
Can any one give me honest (not bias) which console should i get?..
I am noob at gaming,never played a single game in my life not even mario when i was small...
money is not an issue and i will be playing game with all original game purchase...

And My brother want kinect,so if I buy PS3 with move and eye combo is it good alternative to Kinect?...

It totally depends on your likes, which exclusives you like more, do you like the 360 exclusives like Halo,Gears of war,forza or the ps3 exclusives like god of war, uncharted, resistance, last of us etc.

If you take my opinion, SONY has a better line up of console exclusive lined up currently and in the coming months, multi platform games can be played on either platform.

In plain words move is crap, kinect is slightly better, and since you are not a hardcore gamer a kinect would serve you well.

This is the decision you have to make now, 360 with a kinect for casual gaming or taking the plunge to become a hardcore gamer and go with a PS3

Hope this helps. :)

I'm also not much into gaming. But thought of getting a console. Probably 2nd Hand PS3. Would it be a good idea?

I must mention that I don't like gaming much. Maximum times I end up playing first few chapters of the game to enjoy the graphics and end up uninstalling the game.

I mainly loved and completed the whole CoD Series, Battlefield Series, NFS Series, POP Series, Lara Tomb Series, Splinter Cell Series etc. I love these type of gaming much instead of fighting some super power aliens. So as you can see I mainly love RPG Games (I hope we call it RPG, correct me if I'm wrong), like fighting as an Army.

I also like Car Racing (No Bike Racing please), like NFS, Grid etc. GTA is everyone's favourite, that's different.

So would it be a good idea to purchase PS3 according to my requirement?

Also, I don't understand the thing between 4GB, 160GB, 320GB thing. I can understand we can download and play games if we have larger HDD's. But isn't max. times we supposed to buy CD and play? If going that way is 4GB one enough? Generally for what purpose is the HDD's used for?

Second hand PS3 is a good idea but soo is a 360.

I dint exactly get your second paragraph you mean you like playing games in which you are fighting as a army for example COD and Battlefield?, if yes then those games are called FPS(First Person Shooters) RPG(Role Playing Games) are something totally different.

In my opinion for FPS games like COD and Battlefield, a 360 controller is better suited, and if you really like FPS then xbox has halo which you would absolutely love, there is gears of war too if you love shooting(its 3rd person though)

racing games like NFS and Grid are multiplatform and can be played on either console, so here this is a tie.

Todays console can do much more then play games, they can also play music and HD movies which are stored on its internal hdd or a usb stick, this is where a larger hdd comes into play.

Yes mostly you would be buying a disk to play a game off in which case you wont need a large HDD, but if you like storing movies, music or downloading games on it, then a larger hdd would be great.

In the end if you absolutely love shooters get a xbox, if you want a more future proof device with a great lineup of current exclusive and forthcoming ones, go for a ps3.

Reactions: krishnandu

manucitc

Disciple
Aug 8, 2012
After reading some of review PS3 exclusive title has got,look like I am going with PS3....I have to look out for some deal on GameStop or on amazon as few friends are coming next week end here....
So thank guys for all help,will update once I finalise purchase...

prabs

Skilled
Jul 24, 2006
@Gannu - I don't know why but I assumed you were located in Mumbai or Thane when you were helping out with HDMI-DVI cable set up and the Audio issue when I bought the PS3 last year. Thanks for that.

@manucitc - Wise choice mate.

krishnandu

Skilled
Dec 25, 2009
Kolkata
www.krishnandusarkar.com
Second hand PS3 is a good idea but soo is a 360.

I dint exactly get your second paragraph you mean you like playing games in which you are fighting as a army for example COD and Battlefield?, if yes then those games are called FPS(First Person Shooters) RPG(Role Playing Games) are something totally different.

In my opinion for FPS games like COD and Battlefield, a 360 controller is better suited, and if you really like FPS then xbox has halo which you would absolutely love, there is gears of war too if you love shooting(its 3rd person though)

racing games like NFS and Grid are multiplatform and can be played on either console, so here this is a tie.

Todays console can do much more then play games, they can also play music and HD movies which are stored on its internal hdd or a usb stick, this is where a larger hdd comes into play.

Yes mostly you would be buying a disk to play a game off in which case you wont need a large HDD, but if you like storing movies, music or downloading games on it, then a larger hdd would be great.

In the end if you absolutely love shooters get a xbox, if you want a more future proof device with a great lineup of current exclusive and forthcoming ones, go for a ps3.

Yeah. Thanks that helped.

And thanks for the correction. I was not sure whether they are RPG or FPS.

I'm going for 2nd Hand because, would it be wise to buy a XBox 360 or PS3 now? Because I guess within the end of this year or within Q1 of 2014, the new gen consoles will be here.

i_rock098

Adept
Jul 18, 2011
Yeah. Thanks that helped.

And thanks for the correction. I was not sure whether they are RPG or FPS.

I'm going for 2nd Hand because, would it be wise to buy a XBox 360 or PS3 now? Because I guess within the end of this year or within Q1 of 2014, the new gen consoles will be here.

That is correct, by December or at the max early next year, PS4 would launch here, Xbox one has some more time before it launches, but don't let that scare you, PS3 will continue to be supported for quite sometime more going forward,

As a value for money right now i would say go for a used PS3, the xbox 360 simply cannot match up to the exclusives lined up this year for the PS3.

Games like Last Of Us which just recently released is a must play before you die game.

Reactions: krishnandu

fshaharyar

Disciple
Sep 3, 2009
hi guys,

I do get your point...

I had gone to a sony exclusive showroom to check PS3..... but it looked a bit cheap with plastic finish.. the latest one with a sliding rom door

whats the difference between them... functionality wise or having any upgradation or spec

i_rock098

Adept
Jul 18, 2011
hi guys,

I do get your point...

I had gone to a sony exclusive showroom to check PS3..... but it looked a bit cheap with plastic finish.. the latest one with a sliding rom door

No warranty, avoid modding, go legit, you will never regret it :)

No difference, its just lighter and has a sliding door inside which you can place the disk,

Its more risky in my opinion since you may accidentally touch the lens and spoil it.

krishnandu

Skilled
Dec 25, 2009
Kolkata
www.krishnandusarkar.com
That is correct, by December or at the max early next year, PS4 would launch here, Xbox one has some more time before it launches, but don't let that scare you, PS3 will continue to be supported for quite sometime more going forward,

As a value for money right now i would say go for a used PS3, the xbox 360 simply cannot match up to the exclusives lined up this year for the PS3.

Games like Last Of Us which just recently released is a must play before you die game.

So which model would you suggest? Also what price should I shell out max. for a 2nd hand PS3?