Microsoft Copilot+PC: Answer to Apple Silicon

lockhrt999

Not a Fan.
Skilled
Aug 22, 2011
Microsoft had an ARM day.

• 853rd product from Microsoft with a Copilot branding. "Copilot+ PC" is a branding for Windows machines who meet certain criteria (like 16 GB+ ram, all day battery, good performance, built-in AI chip etc.)
  • Along with MS's own Surface lineup, HP, Dell, Lenovo, Samsung, Asus, and Acer are also launching their own "Copilot+ PC"
  • Currently, no chip from Intel or AMD meets the criteria of "Copilot+ PC". That said, they will be launching them soon.
  • Right now, "Copilot+ PC" laptops are equipped with either Snapdragon X plus (10 cores) or Snapdragon X Elite (12 cores) chips.
  • "Copilot+ PC" will feature a crap load of AI features. Some will run in the cloud, while others will run locally.
  • Surface laptop with snapdragon chip is claimed to be 58% faster than Apple MacBook M3 Air and has up to 22 hours of battery life.
  • 'Windows for ARM' has a new x86 emulator called Prism to run your grandpa apps. Microsoft absolutely didn't hype it like Rosetta.
  • It's a turning point for the Windows ecosystem.

Last edited:

altair21

Adept
Feb 27, 2023
don't care about their whatever bs branding but if it means Intel or Amd entering arm I'm all for it even if it means Microsoft shoving their copilot or whatever down our throats. We can always debloat windows anyways

Crapmypants

Adept
Dec 13, 2014
1716285296807.png

jayanttyagi

Disciple
May 11, 2023
don't care about their whatever bs branding but if it means Intel or Amd entering arm I'm all for it even if it means Microsoft shoving their copilot or whatever down our throats. We can always debloat windows anyways
Intel will release Lunar Lake for this nut still x86. It's NPU will meet criteria for copilot+pc

altair21

Adept
Feb 27, 2023
Intel will release Lunar Lake for this nut still x86. It's NPU will meet criteria for copilot+pc
its still pretty good, not on ARM level of course but still good, have you checked out the core 7 ultra series? the batter life is insane for an x86 CPU and lunar lake will only be better (hopefully)

nullpc

Disciple
Feb 11, 2024
its still pretty good, not on ARM level of course but still good, have you checked out the core 7 ultra series? the batter life is insane for an x86 CPU and lunar lake will only be better (hopefully)
That’s one of the criteria for me at least. My M1/M1 Max laptops have made me so comfy that I would want my next laptop/portable device to satisfy the following in addition:

a) Runs upto medium load applications and only gets barely warm
b) If fans exist, shouldn’t need to run them most of the time (on battery or at 100% plugged in) until it crosses 60-70% intensive workloads
c) Should have near class-leading perf for the form factor
d) Almost no compromises when charging a shitload of money esp w.r.t build quality

IME, Intel machines still fail in some of the above categories which makes it a no go for me. I can understand sacrificing (d) if pricing is aggressive and cheap but Mi was able to ship a decent build quality laptop in around 50k which beat 1L+ ultrabooks at the time of its launch so I can only see it as a daylight robbery if the “reputed” brands continue to siphon off of the average user.

I definitely hope such models are coming out and we don’t get back to the same bullshit all over again.

altair21

Adept
Feb 27, 2023
That’s one of the criteria for me at least. My M1/M1 Max laptops have made me so comfy that I would want my next laptop/portable device to satisfy the following in addition:

a) Runs upto medium load applications and only gets barely warm
b) If fans exist, shouldn’t need to run them most of the time (on battery or at 100% plugged in) until it crosses 60-70% intensive workloads
c) Should have near class-leading perf for the form factor
d) Almost no compromises when charging a shitload of money esp w.r.t build quality
core 7 ultra/core 9 utlra can be a good deal for you if you want gaming on the go but for general usage, Macs are still the best,
IME, Intel machines still fail in some of the above categories which makes it a no go for me. I can understand sacrificing (d) if pricing is aggressive and cheap but Mi was able to ship a decent build quality laptop in around 50k which beat 1L+ ultrabooks at the time of its launch so I can only see it as a daylight robbery if the “reputed” brands continue to siphon off of the average user.
MI laptop's cooling was crap, and as for me, I look at the overall experience of an OEM, right from buying a laptop to getting it serviced and Xiaomi fell woefully short in the service department.
I definitely hope such models are coming out and we don’t get back to the same bullshit all over again.
Elite X benchmarks seem to be promising, but cant comment on it until the laptops are out, many OEMs are have announced laptops using SD Elite X/Plus so we should be covered for all price points. ngl its an exciting time in the laptop space now

nullpc

Disciple
Feb 11, 2024
MI laptop's cooling was crap, and as for me, I look at the overall experience of an OEM, right from buying a laptop to getting it serviced and Xiaomi fell woefully short in the service department.
Thermals aren't any miles apart, agree with that. But for that price and form factor and especially the screen, nothing else came close around the time. Bulkier low-end gaming laps were there but those were a no go because of all other quality compromises made and weight added.

Re: service, this is contrary to my experience. I gifted two of these besides my personal unit and my unit had hardware issues 2 times unfortunately. Both times, I got it fixed in under a week TAT, 0 cost from my end. I was honestly quite shocked at the TAT.

I personally hope Mi makes similar improved models with the ARM chips for stellar price, if the ARM race takes off.

lockhrt999

Not a Fan.
Skilled
Aug 22, 2011
Feels like after Qualcomm, Intel and AMD, we might see a fourth player announcing Windows compatible processors next month.