Fake RAMs made in India?

Hachune

Disciple
I am only posting this because I find it quite interesting. Not necessarily to rant on it or anything.

Around 2 months ago, I bought 2 sticks of brand new and sealed "SK Hynix" DDR4 RAMs. One stick started having issues and is now basically completely dead.
While troubleshooting it, I found that the working RAM brand was detected as OM Nanotech in both BIOS and HWInfo. So, I googled what it is and found that they are the one manufacturing Dolgix RAMs based in India. I contacted them on whatsapp regarding warranty since it has a "lifetime warranty" but they denied it was theirs and told me to contact SK Hynix instead.

Upon further digging, CPU-z also reported that the RAM chips are Micron instead of Hynix. So, my guess is that they get used memory chips from somewhere, make a 'new' RAM and then slap whatever brand name they want on it.
Now, what I find interesting is that these fake RAMs are made here and that they seem to be getting away with it.

Attachments

• IMG20240516134031.jpg
    IMG20240516134031.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG20240521235455.jpg
    IMG20240521235455.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 74
This is one of the reasons why I pay a little extra for Crucial/Micron/Adata branded memory for basic applications — their warranty is by serial number. For higher-end applications, I make sure there's an import sticker on the product, like in the case of Corsair/Patriot/G.Skill/Kingston.

Also, there's a Kingston/HyperX thread here where DDR3 sticks are being refurbished/repackaged in that exact same packaging:

Hynix era is loooong gone!
They were trustworthy rather very popular during the DDR2/DDR3 days from yr 2002-2014 or so. But now even noobs prefer at least a corsair ram.

Same thing is with the forgotten leader Transcend which has now descended!

I've recently bought a couple of sticks for some home lab mini PC's from Dolgix in an effort to support Indian manufacturing. I hope they actually make this in India

I've recently bought a couple of sticks for some home lab mini PC's from Dolgix in an effort to support Indian manufacturing. I hope they actually make this in India
Considering there are only a handful of DRAM manufacturers in the world, the important bits are almost definitely not made here. But assembling it here is still a step in the right direction!

Please post a ram benchmark like Aida64 when you get it.

Hynix era is loooong gone!
They were trustworthy rather very popular during the DDR2/DDR3 days from yr 2002-2014 or so. But now even noobs prefer at least a corsair ram.

Same thing is with the forgotten leader Transcend which has now descended!

Anything but dead, they still command a significant share of the global NAND flash market, second only to Samsung.
They stopped selling directly under their brand but they supply directly to oem's.
There are only 4 major NAND flash manufacturers excluding WD (Micron, Samsung, SK Hynix and Kioxia), rest of them just buy from these 4, slap on their heatsink and sticker and call it a day.
Crucial uses Micron, Transcend & Adata use Hynix, Kingston exclusively used only Hynix, Corsair and Gskill use a mix of the 3 depending on the performance and price bracket.

Last edited:
Anything but dead, they still command a significant share of the global NAND flash market, second only to Samsung.
They stopped selling directly under their brand but they supply directly to oem's.
There are only 4 major NAND flash manufacturers excluding WD (Micron, Samsung, SK Hynix and Kioxia), rest of them just buy from these 4, slap on their heatsink and sticker and call it a day.
Crucial uses Micron, Transcend & Adata use Hynix, Kingston exclusively used only Hynix, Corsair and Gskill use a mix of the 3 depending on the performance and price bracket.
Right but I was specifically referring to their memory dept, not the chips.

Back