I was looking for a decent 5" phone with following requirements

Screen size: Max 5.2"
Battery:minimum 2600 mah, 3000 preferred
4G support for 2300 and 1800 Mhz bands
Ram: 3GB or more
Display: Full HD is preferred
Budget: 25K
Decent camera

With the above requirements, I was able to find the Zuk Z2 as per GSMArena phone finder.
MI5 is the only other option but I am more inclined towards Zuk Z2 because of the bigger battery and slightly smaller than the Mi5.
Also, hearing problems with 4G network on MI5.

I was initially planning to buy the Nexus 5X but owner reviews suggest poor battery life, terrible build quality and 2GB RAM might be an issue in the near future.

So, I really want to get the Zuk Z2. Any ideas when the launch could be?
If there are any other phones matching the above requirements, let me know.

Obviously, there are flagship phones like S7/HTC10 etc which fit the bill but are way more costly.

Last edited:
@aadi007 Even I have very similar requirements (+closer to stock OS). However, I couldn't find anything so far. The closest I came to buy is the Oneplus 3 - its 5.5" but relatively compact for its size and almost similar to the many 5.2" like 5X or Robin. My current phone is still working more or less, so I'm gonna wait a couple more months till the Nexus phones are announced.
Yes waiting for Nexus phones will be the best bet as there is definitely a 5" Nexus coming.
Also since it is made b HTC, build quality should be decent and not like the crappy build of the Nexus 5X.
I just hope it has enough juice in the battery.

My current phone is also serving me okay no (moto X 1st gen). Only battery life is poor with data connections.
So, I need to charge it frequently.

Did you read about the Honor 8 launch?
http://www.gsmarena.com/new_teaser_confirms_july_11_launch_for_honor_8-news-19099.php
This has the same specs as P9 and will be considerably cheaper and looks like an excellent option for us.

Did you consider the Mi 5?
I was considering buying MI 5 but the camera is little poor in low light. Also, hearing frequent disconnects with 4G and poor battery life in 4G.So, not sure.[DOUBLEPOST=1467442621][/DOUBLEPOST]
band 40 is supported in honor 7. Atleast in flipkart specs
Hmm..GSMARENA says not supported. How do I confirm?
Honor 8 is launching soon. SO, buying honor 7now at 23K does not make any sense now.It should be priced at 17-18K.

Smaller Nexus phones have never been known to have good battery life.
I am really enjoying my Redmi Note 3 because of it's insane battery life and a stable CM13. I might upgrade to the Mi MAX 128GB model once it launches.

Yes waiting for Nexus phones will be the best bet as there is definitely a 5" Nexus coming.
Also since it is made b HTC, build quality should be decent and not like the crappy build of the Nexus 5X.
I just hope it has enough juice in the battery.

My current phone is also serving me okay no (moto X 1st gen). Only battery life is poor with data connections.
So, I need to charge it frequently.

Did you read about the Honor 8 launch?
http://www.gsmarena.com/new_teaser_confirms_july_11_launch_for_honor_8-news-19099.php
This has the same specs as P9 and will be considerably cheaper and looks like an excellent option for us.

Did you consider the Mi 5?
I was considering buying MI 5 but the camera is little poor in low light. Also, hearing frequent disconnects with 4G and poor battery life in 4G.So, not sure.[DOUBLEPOST=1467442621][/DOUBLEPOST]
Hmm..GSMARENA says not supported. How do I confirm?
Honor 8 is launching soon. SO, buying honor 7now at 23K does not make any sense now.It should be priced at 17-18K.
I prefer closer to stock OS, so Honor or Xiaomi is not under consideration. I am a light-medium user, so as long as it gets me 24 hours with 3+ hrs SOT, I'm good.

Honor 8 is launched with very good specs and meets all my requirements.
It seems it has the same dual camera setup as the P9 which is a big advantage compared to competitors like MI5/Oneplus etc.
It is basically a cheaper P9 which is good (considering P9 is positioned against the topmost flagshipd)
I will most probably buy it when it launches in India.
The only disadvantage is the weaker GPU but I am no gamer.so that's not an issue for me.

Any word on the global launch of Honor
8, specifically here in India??

I am in the market for sub 20k smartphone too.. Need something as powerful as last gen flagships with a good cam, at least as good as the new moto g4..

So far, I've considered these below
>Redmi note 3 fits the bill, but poor cam..
>Mi Max has better cam, but 6.4!? (Is it even usable)
>zenphone 3, if it gets good reviews and is decently priced

Also, eagerly waiting for the speculated Redmi Note 4 to get unveiled, hopefully it will come with a better camera :/

Last edited:
Honor 8 will probably launch in September-October in India but it will be around 25K I think.
You can look for discounts in Honor 7. Has all the features you need, great build too.
Nexus 5X is available at 16K and 19K in ebay for 16/32GB but you will only get seller warranty.
I would have bought it but the 2GB RAM is a little concerting..the camera is the Nexus is the best for the price and can beat or match any phone camera up to 30K in price.

PS - Why are you not getting the Moto G4 plus ? Zenfone 3 I think is a very good option but not sure about the launch. But since it is 5.5" it is not for me.[DOUBLEPOST=1468345469][/DOUBLEPOST]My shortlist so far ..
Honor 8
New Nexus 5"
Zuk Z2
Nubia Z11 mini
Vivo X7

None of the above devices are available :)
Hoping they will be available in the next 2-3 months.

Honor 8 will probably launch in September-October in India but it will be around 25K I think.
You can look for discounts in Honor 7. Has all the features you need, great build too.
Nexus 5X is available at 16K and 19K in ebay for 16/32GB but you will only get seller warranty.
I would have bought it but the 2GB RAM is a little concerting..the camera is the Nexus is the best for the price and can beat or match any phone camera up to 30K in price.

PS - Why are you not getting the Moto G4 plus ? Zenfone 3 I think is a very good option but not sure about the launch. But since it is 5.5" it is not for me.

I would get the G4 Plus, but the Snap 617 is keeping me away from it. Looking for something with Snap 620s and above, preferably a 650/652..
And yeah, Nexus 5x is the best option, but have the same concern as you.

That's a good list ! (Except Nubia, Z2 are highly unlikely to launch here anytime soon)

Will wait for a few more reveals, probably a couple more months, and will decide then..

Also , will the zuk z2 have cyanogen OS ? As I saw some of the Chinese reviews and saw that the zuk z2's were running an lenovo shell on top of Android . Or is it that lenovo sells ths phone with cyanogen OS world wide and it's own shell on top of Android in China ?

^^
I think you are correct.
It's their own custom stuff in China but CM for rest of the world.
At least this was the case for ZUK Z1. Not sure about Z2.

Honor 8 launching in August in Europe and US. So, India launch can't be far away.

Why not go with the One Plus 3? It has top of the line specifications! You won't regret it!
Also if bigger screen size is not a problem to you, then I'll suggest you to buy Mi Max 4gb+128gb version which is going to available soon by the end of this month! Everything is pretty decent and you will be saving 5k too since it is worth 20k!
Plus the battery is the biggest trump card in Mi Max! It has a 4850mAh battery! On light to moderate usage, you will be charging it once per 2 days or even more!
Reviews have shown insane 11 hours SOT!

My main requirement is a 5" screen which I am willing to stretch to 5.2" but not more.
Oneplus 3 is big for me, I have handled it.

Planning to buy the MI5 today or tomorrow from flipkart as they are running very good offers (discount + exchange + 5% off on credit card).

Few questions before taking the plunge -
1> How's the battery life with mobile data ON (3G/4G)? Does it last whole day without any issues?
2> Indoor lighting photo quality - I read that most reviews are complaining about the high noise in the MI5 camera in indoor/low light conditions. How bad is it? Are the images usable? I am not talking of extreme low light conditions, but normal indoor conditions which we have at our home.
3> Cellular reception - heard some complaints about frequent call drops and poor 4G connectivity. Is this true?

Back