years of hibernation-need help

lilboy

Adept
hi...

i could go on with excuses whole day. but i think its time to surrender to what i dont love to study (but i think working as a doctor suits me). i really dont like to read things that doesnt find interesting. i do see things like this as a burden and go with things i love to do at that particular time.

this worries me & my father as the years are passing by. so he wants me to do something now. something i love and get a degree so that i will have some value in the society. he is now ready to send me any part of the world.

this is the hard part. as this going to be my decision i want to take the right one and dont want me to prove as a failure infront of others. i havent studied much the last 5 yrs or so. dont remember a thing i learned in the school or college. so i'm starting from the base level.

if u ask me what subjects i prefer i might say something here and there. if u ask me u got to have something i would say computers first. i used to read computer magazines a lot and likes to have newest gadgets and to explore it without the manual. i remember dismantling torches when i was a kid & any electronic items that fascinates me. i was not bad in programming when i went for a certificate course 12 yrs back. people who knew me used to say i got a good grasping power and learn things quickly. i like physics, history but reading a lot is not my strength. i also likes to write but dont have good vocabulary or a reading habit. i dont like most of maths, economics.

so basically i need a degree i love to work on. since my parents worked very hard money(job) is not a issue. i need to go for a subject which is practical in nature and the most or all the learning process happens in the class hours and most of the learning by myself a week before the exams. is there something of that nature exist or i'm in the wrong planet:) please help me on this.

ironically as i lost many years already i dont really care that anymore. i'm even open to going for a diploma or certificate course to know if it really suits me. is there any place in the world where the studies are much more practical than mugging up theory.

those who dont know- u dont need to be intelligent to be doctor u just need to read a lot(hell lot) for those who r interested in becoming doctor but thinks they r not gifted enough.

thanks a lot

my interests varies like seasons :p

i wish there were universities where u can attend the subjects u like and take exams for those which inturn get certificates with high value. so ur employer could go on those to find if ur suitable for those particular job.as most dont remember a thing of their education after several years even doctors:eek:

i dont mind a place where major exams are more frequent like in every 6 months. after that no need of it. so i wont procrastinate much.

---------- Post added at 01:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:05 PM ----------

can u also pls guide me some courses in computers(programming,it) which doesnt involve complex maths like integration and differentiation where every new step new formulas comes out from thin air.

IMO - This type of educational experience you wanted have for sure does not exist here(India).
This what most of us wanted or dreamed of having it before stepping into College (Engineering ).. but turn out it more similar to schooling

Photography , Fashion Technology , Visual Communication, Film making, animation , Civil and Architect field have more of practical learning ... prerequisite for learning them would be passion and love for them...

Just my thoughts - If you own a Hospital why not manage and expand it .. by doing some MBA (specialization in management) abroad (US)..

Right now what you need is need a Vacation Bro.. a Good long one probably with Friends but no family... to find your passion or make one..

Cheers..

+1 to that as rico said. Take a break from family and pressure. Go for a vacation with a few friends get yourself away from any family/study/life pressure. Don't see what other people are doing. There's something for everyone. Take yourself apart from every tension of life. For one I'd prefer any Hilly area. Mountains, greenery and stuffs gives you a peace of mind . Do trekking do all idiotic stuffs with friends just relieve your mind.

Once you are relieved of all stress. Just think. What do you like the most. People here won't be able to tell what you should do, they can only guide you but what you want to do is the decision made by you. If you like taking photographs take pics, enhance your skills. You like drawing try architecture or fashion designing. Man if you feel you like to work on gadgets and it makes you feel good and happy...by golly do that. :)

Think what you want to do. Give yourself a purpose and follow it. Get guidance from here. Ask members where to go for 'this' particular study. Go there and excel.

Look at me...I studied three years for engineering +1,+2 and then dropped a year and what i will end up doing is architecture. Why because i like drawing. Love to put my ideas into reality. I find happiness in drawing. :)

thanks rico. those fields i got some interest. actually i was very much interested in photography and ppl used to applaud my photos. i'm a big movie fan. but then i have to confess my other problem...fibromyalgia-muscle stiffness,pain and fatigue. so doing outdoor work for hours is not my cup of tea. though medicines is treating these symptoms not the cause which is still unknown. still check out those courses.

my father is personality type a so very hard working and dont understand vacations and taking mind off trips which i planned many times. to his and my mothers credit, they build up whole thing with their hard work from some inherited land. they really dont want me to go through those bad times

---------- Post added at 03:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:06 PM ----------

thanks altair. yeah i would love to work on latest gadgets like what u see on engadget.com and i got a bit of writing skills(think so). or be in a design team of either hardware or software. i love innovative ideas something like apple do.

what course is best suited for that?

If you really love programming you can go for a part time/ full time BCA degree and start working in open source.
I have seen at-least a couple of people from pathetic colleges(engineering) earning 10lakh p.a after just 1year of experience just because of open source and their passion for programming.

Dude 10 years is way too less.I mean you are just 27 and can really go on from here and make things work for you.But its actually high time now :p
We have soo much flexibility soo many new courses going around.Try your hands a visual graphic courses or something.Programming might interest you. YouTube and Google is flooded with tutorials teaching you all these things from the scratch.And rather then jumping into something ,try it at home and if you like it then take the real plunge.You are in a situation many would've broken down,but i like the way you have pulled yourself up and i salute you for that. If you don't take yourself up from here now,then it would be solely your fault . But the kind of education you are asking for doesnt exist on this planet. At least as far as i know some mugging and roting is a part of the system. Maybe animation or coding might fascinate you,but when you actually start learning you have to read texts and mug up definitions lexicons structures architecture etc etc ,its all about perseverance. Please start searching exhaustively for courses and stuff and and take them up. Make yourself count,after all your dad expects something from you ,now that you are 27 years. All the best dude. Its one life we all got, make the best out of it :)

Start here, see what subjects you like --> Khan Academy :)

it has maths,science, finance, economy, Humanities, programming & just about everything in 10min videos. Nice way to explore without investing too much time :p

lilboy - Sometimes you dont get your way and you need to put your head down and do what you NEED to do, to be where you want to be. If you dont like to do it, do it anyway, find some motivation to do it. Find what you like, meet people working in that area and get a grasp of what they do, and how is the profession. Remember, you will be a doctor for atleast 6times more duration than you will be an mbbs student. So putting your head down and finishing mmbs isnt a bad idea, even if you dont like it.

Also you can venture the deepest nooks of the world, but you wont find what you want to do, unless you want to find it (this thread is a good start) but i say there are miles to go. You like photography? Take a simple camera and take pics , learn concepts and try to learn more stuff, DO IT and see if you like it and can make a living out of it. Staying around and thinking wont cut it, you need to do shit :D

I think you need a better educational Counselling which can decide what you are actually interested in and guide you to achieve it... All the best...

thanks guys for ur valuable info. gaurish-very useful to all

"If you have a short attention span and want to study a little of everything (rather than a deep dive into a subject), try something like international affairs, where you can learn a bit of business, economics, history, and languages.

On the business front, perhaps something like marketing? It's a bit more creative and liberal than say, something like accounting where you need to learn all the rules."

anything of these sorts.

i also like to go out for studies. on the plus side can see places and interact with different people and cultures but not interested in learning new languages. also stay away from ppl asking havent u finished it yet..what r u doing now....marriage&children???
:annoyed:

absolutely agree with you @Party Monger. @lilboy, after working on a certain thing and then giving up at the last moment is not a good idea. get your head down and complete it. Get another degree of your choice afterwards.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can give a try to animation (strictly from Canada or USA if you are serious about money) It is 95% Practical & only 5% Theory. You can even do a cheap course (1-2 months) at one of the local animation training institutes to check how this stream treats you without investing a fortune in education abroad.

Consider this if you don't mind getting into business.
You have passion for gadget, then you might like managing gadget shop. You can put up shop for gadgets/computer stuff with some investment. Your passion for gadgets shall make you manage things well.

Back