World IPv6 Day on June 8th 2011

IPv6 Day is going to be the first occasion when IPv6 will be tested in production at mass scale. Hoping that this 24hours experiment will teach a lot & also provide an idea on future IPv6 deployments.

i got a result of 7/10 and 7/10 what does that mean?

Your readiness scores

7/10 for your IPv4 stability and readiness, when publishers offer both IPv4 and IPv6

7/10 for your IPv6 stability and readiness, when publishers are forced to go IPv6 only

i got a result of 7/10 and 7/10 what does that mean?

Your readiness scores
7/10 for your IPv4 stability and readiness, when publishers offer both IPv4 and IPv6
7/10 for your IPv6 stability and readiness, when publishers are forced to go IPv6 only

I guess, that means that your system is IPv6 ready and should have no issues surfing the internet and doing general tasks if things shift over to IPv6. Regarding, the three tests that were unsuccessful, may be they are ISP specific. Jm2c :)

10/10 for your IPv4 stability and readiness, when publishers offer both IPv4 and IPv6

0/10 for your IPv6 stability and readiness, when publishers are forced to go IPv6 only

HAIL BSNL.

On another note, is the new IPv6 supposed to do anything to the pings? will they reduce or are they gonna stay the same?

Aman27deep said:
On another note, is the new IPv6 supposed to do anything to the pings? will they reduce or are they gonna stay the same?
Apart from IP address format(32bit vs 128bit), things are not much different(correct me if I am wrong). so introduction to IPv6 is not likely improve your pings. pings are related to latency and as we all know, latency will not improve if your computers starts using IP address as 2001:0db8:85a3:0000:0000:8a2e:0370:7334 instead of 59.95.165.241 but latency actually depends on is:
* contention ratio: basically business users have better latency than home users
* routing distance & routing protocol used: this one is quite obvious
* load of the server you are connecting to: If the server is overloaded, then it will struggle to even do a 3-way TCP handshake with you.
* network Throughput: As might have guess, more thoughtput, chances of better latency are more

so to answer your question, Only IPv6 won't do. this will need a general overhaul(Tweaking BGP routing tables,switching to faster medium(did anyone say fiber? :p),upgrading capacity) which is something ISPs might do since they have build a new network for IPv6 anyway.

Just hope it happens soon:p

Gaurish said:
Apart from IP address format(32bit vs 128bit), things are not much different(correct me if I am wrong). so introduction to IPv6 is not likely improve your pings. pings are related to latency and as we all know, latency will not improve if your computers starts using IP address as 2001:0db8:85a3:0000:0000:8a2e:0370:7334 instead of 59.95.165.241 but latency actually depends on is:

* contention ratio: basically business users have better latency than home users

* routing distance & routing protocol used: this one is quite obvious

* load of the server you are connecting to: If the server is overloaded, then it will struggle to even do a 3-way TCP handshake with you.

* network Throughput: As might have guess, more thoughtput, chances of better latency are more

so to answer your question, Only IPv6 won't do. this will need a general overhaul(Tweaking BGP routing tables,switching to faster medium(did anyone say fiber? :p),upgrading capacity) which is something ISPs might do since they have build a new network for IPv6 anyway.

Just hope it happens soon:p
Maybe in 10 years it will happen in India :p I would love < 100 ms to Américano servers!

Aman27deep said:
I would love < 100 ms to Américano servers!

Hmm, the fastest medium known today is Optic fibre, lets assume if the we use optic fibre end-to-end, so theoretically

A typical index of refraction for optical fiber is 1.62, therefore the speed of light in a fiber is approximately 3e8 m/s / 1.62 = 1.85e8 m/s. Distance between India & US is appox 8020 miles or 12,906.9389Kms or 12 906 938.9 meters appox.

Hence, it would take at least 12 906 938.9 m /1.85e8 m/s = 55.18 ms (milliseconds) to travel from India to US. Note that this value doesn't cover the extra distance traveled by the light from bouncing side to side.

so theoretically its possible to get pings to "Américano" servers under 100ms but pratically no, that's not going to happen:p

10/10 for your IPv4 stability and readiness, when publishers offer both IPv4 and IPv6

0/10 for your IPv6 stability and readiness, when publishers are forced to go IPv6 only

MTNL

BSNL EVDO

Gaurish said:
Hmm, the fastest medium known today is Optic fibre, lets assume if the we use optic fibre end-to-end, so theoretically

A typical index of refraction for optical fiber is 1.62, therefore the speed of light in a fiber is approximately 3e8 m/s / 1.62 = 1.85e8 m/s. Distance between India & US is appox 8020 miles or 12,906.9389Kms or 12 906 938.9 meters appox.

Hence, it would take at least 12 906 938.9 m /1.85e8 m/s = 55.18 ms (milliseconds) to travel from India to US. Note that this value doesn't cover the extra distance traveled by the light from bouncing side to side.

so theoretically its possible to get pings to "Américano" servers under 100ms but pratically no, that's not going to happen:p
Actually i think it is. I ping 105 ms to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, both are google servers hosted in America, i have no idea how it is that low but it is, try pinging it yourself.

Aman27deep said:
Actually i think it is. I ping 105 ms to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, both are google servers hosted in America, i have no idea how it is that low but it is, try pinging it yourself.

I get pings of 200sh on it but anyways, I think the service is in India or maybe Singapore. Certainly not in US. Why, look at traceroute. last node in the route is TATA Communications after that its all google. so i guess server is nearer

Aman27deep said:

These results give you wrong information because this traces located from server of ip-adress.com to google's server. :)

Google has more than 40Datacenters located around the world & depending upon the location of client, the request goes to server which is geographically closest to client. what this means is, if person makes a request from US, he will hit US server & similarly, if you make a request from India, mostly likely it will get replied by Google's server in India or whatever is nearest.

For correct results, run a traceroute from your own machine & compare this to twitter's trace

Twitter: Chennai -> Mumbai -> Paris, France. -> Washington -> New York -> San Jose & Finally reaches Twitter.com

But if you notice traceroute on 8.8.8.8, nodes are all Indian:)

I think 4.2.2.2 has moved to somewhere in Europe (Frankfurt, it seems from the traces). Its giving me 135ms pings

C:\>ping 4.2.2.2

Pinging 4.2.2.2 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 4.2.2.2: bytes=32 time=135ms TTL=243

Ping statistics for 4.2.2.2:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 135ms, Maximum = 135ms, Average = 135ms

Back