WLAN over 250m - Line of sight

superczar

Skilled
Need to setup a wireless lan between a friend's and my house.
The distance between the houses is ~200-250m but the terraces are in line of sight and have a couple of wireless routers spare to play around with.
Now obviously this isn't going to work with the router's default antenna
Are there any external antenna available locally that could be used to accomplish this?
any other suggestions?

routers are regular 802.11 g linksys

anyway, the distance isn't even 250 m, more like 100m

I suppose even a pair of basic external roof mounted antennas will do the trick

question is, where do i find em?

i have been terribly unlucky with items shipped from HK/Shanghai

9/10 items i picked (thankfully >$15 each) in the last 1 year never arrived

anything available locally?

this might be of some help : WiFi Antennas | Selecting a WiFi antenna ; there might be a lot of connectivity issues involved, and yes there would be need of external antennas for sure. As suggested, if you know of people or have acquaintance with any other contact 'in the line of sight' you can have a router placed there as an extender. For a simpler solution : is wireless really needed ?

if the distance is just 100m as u said, router rj45 ---cat5---router rj45 ?

cat5 and cat6 over a distance of 100 meter will cost 1600+ in which one can buy a wireless router to repeat.

i think any current gen n router shall give you 100m line of sight coverage.

asus wl520gu is not exactly an n router but has 300ft open space coverage so i guess you may get better offerings in n routers.

as a last resort, a repeater at place in between is your best bet.

There's a road in between thus ruling out the possibility of a wired connection

That also explains why a repeater cannot be used.

The easiest way to do IMO is to use an outdoor moderate gain antenna on the routers at both ends

In fact I would say that if I could leave the routers on the terrace, it would still work, but can't leave the poor doohickeys exposed to the elements.. right?

so anyone aware of any locally available external 802.11g antenna?

Back