Wirelessly sharing wired Internet for my home

vyral_143

Jarvis
Staff member
Super Mod
Hi,

I have around 6 devices capable with WiFi. I have TATAs wired internet connection. Since its a time based plan I need to first login through a webpage in our browser using username/password.

I can share this connection wirelessly using Connectify but for which everytime i have to keep my laptop ON and be logged in to my TATA account. Can it be possible that i get rid of them ? Like I dont have to keep my laptop ON and logging on device.

Do throw some light how can this be setup. My budget for this is as low as possible.

hmm.. this is a bit perplexing... see.. i dont exactly know the solution to the problem. I have enough knowledge to be able to set this up, IF its possible, but I'd need access to such a connection so that I can play around and look for a way out. Unfortunately, not many people have this kind of a connection .. None of which i Know... so right now all i can say is, I'd rather advise you to change your type of connection. Any particular reason you have such a connection??? if it is low cost, then please do let us know the speed and and download limits.. so atleast we can suggest other options which will be very convenient to set up on a wireless router.. if we can configure the router, then nowadays you can find a good DLink Wireless N router for about Rs. 1500 to 1650. Hows that for low budget???

I've used this connection a couple of times. I think! It's the same one where it takes you to a Tata Indicom login page when you fire up the browser and try to go online the first time, right? If it is, the login page has to be active. If you close the login page, or shutdown the device that was used to login, I think the connection disconnects. Haven't really used it too much or played around with it so can't say for sure. Used it mostly on my laptop and smartphone, both connected wirelessly. No other device present on the network and my phone was constantly connected to the wireless network, which is what I usually used to check my email and stuff. Unless I authenticated first, I wouldn't be able to go online even though I was connected to the wifi network. After opening the browser on my phone and trying to access any random site, the login page would pop up. After authenticating, my email and IMs start working. After that, if I move to the laptop, there's already internet connectivity there. No need to login again on the laptop. Never used the connection for long periods of time, so I don't know what would've happened if maybe I shut down the phone and was still using the laptop. Not sure if it would have let me continue without having to authenticate again. Bottom line, even if you use a router, you'll still need one device to authenticate the first time you try to go online. What I can't confirm is what happens if other devices are connected and you shut down the device that was used to authenticate. Maybe, if possible, you could borrow a friend's router and hook it up and see if it behaves the way you want it to or not.

My connection is exactly same as described by #[member='Edrill'].

I m fine with authenticating when starting browsing on devices individually. But I m not sure if Log-in page is displayed when I am only connected to WiFi of laptop and not logged in via laptop browser.

About connection, well its a time based one. I recharge with 3500 for 6 months and get 360 hours @ 2Mbps to use. Normally I dunn use internet that much hence i end up having hours spare at the end of 6 months. So I recharge with 1000 to get validity of 3 months. Short mein for 4500 i get 9 months of connectivity. While downloading from Premium accounts, mediafire, good torrents and official sites I get speed of 1.5MBps to 3MBps, though it says connection is of 2Mbps. Hence if downloaded for 7-8 hours, i can easily get 30-35GB, which is sufficient for me now.

Also budget could be up-to 2K.

Just as I thought! From what I remember of it, you start browsing first thing in the morning and the first time you pull up your browser you're re-directed to the page. If instead, first thing you do is try to login to say Google Talk, the page won't come up since you haven't accessed your browser. In this case, you'll need to first open your browser, login to the Tata Indicom page and then login to Google Talk.

I'd suggest testing out a setup with a router first, if possible. Because what could happen is that everything could connect to the wireless network, but you'd need to leave one device connected and logged in to the web login page, which is basically what you're doing now! You'd end up 2k poorer and still leaving your laptop on!!

Will it be possible that my LAN wire goes to router. From my iPod touch i connect to router wirelessly, get log in page, enter details and start browsing ?

If above is true then it will be much easier to use multiple device simultaneously as authentication device could be iPod touch also.

Yeah, definitely. You can authenticate from any device on the network. It doesn't have to be wired, nor does it have to be a computer. You can authenticate from your iPod Touch.

Let see tonight, by sharing LAN but not internet connected from my laptop, will try getting log in page on iPod

Sorry for digging old thread. But dint wanted to create a new one :D

The said setup works
I started Wi-Fi and connectify with option share LAN but dint logged in. Could logged in via Tata Log in page.

Now two queries. From router how can i connect my desktop PC for internet ? via a cross-cable ?

Which router to be bought ? should have sufficient range for 650SqFt

Back