Which Digicam?

The DSC H1 , as S2 Is has some problems with pics taken at higher iso settings and also has purple fringing.

Am waiting for S3 IS from Canon and the Sony's DSC H2 & H5.

Canon S2 IS Movie mode has some advantages which sony doesnt have i feel
- zooming while capturing a movie
- snapshots while taking a movie
- 640x480,320x240,160x120 [sony doesnt have 320x240 resol support]

@superczar - can u please confirm this to me.
- Can we zoom on sony dsc h1 while movie capturing
- can we pre zoom and later capture movie on the dsc h1.

Just wanted to know if we cud capture movies with a zoom on the DSC H1.

i have DSC-T7 ..... its a nice cam but there is no zoom while taking video ..... so chk this out if u are taking sony H1 ....

@superczar - can u please confirm this to me.

- Can we zoom on sony dsc h1 while movie capturing

- can we pre zoom and later capture movie on the dsc h1.

- No zoom while capturing movie

- Pre zoom- think it works, Will confirm this tonight from home

The DSC H1 , as S2 Is has some problems with pics taken at higher iso settings and also has purple fringing.

Expect fringing on S3 too...All hi-zoom budget cameras will have this issue on hi zoom shots...There is no electronic solution for this and the quality of optics that is needed to go into fixing this comes at a prohibitively high cost for a budget cam

As for noise, The H1 has very low noise at high ISOs, however the aggrssive noise reduction logic also cause some loss of detail at ISO 400

Noise and ISO go hand in hand unfortunately...

I'd say invest in a decent tripod and use longer exposures at lower ISOs for night shots

To imagine that I picked up my Nikon 5700 for ~800$ back in '03. Man now I can only think of one camera I want to pick up - the Sony DSC-R1!

Anyhow, so how's the experience coming along? And how much did the memory stick cost you, Czar?

Edit: Oops I meant to post this in your H1 review thread. Now how did this get here?

superczar said:
I'd say invest in a decent tripod and use longer exposures at lower ISOs for night shots

Can u explain this in a bit more detail.

I have a tripod at home , will taking pics with S2 IS fixed on a tripod at lower iso
result in better night shots , i mean less noisy.

I am assuming longer exposure as the time required by the camera to get adjusted for taking a pic at lower iso at night
[correct me or plz tell me more abt "longer exposure"]

higher ISO=higher light sensitivity resulting in well exposed pictures in low light at the cost of increased noise...Higher ISO will always equal more noise

However, to achieve equally well exposed pictures with lower noise, you can raise the shutter speed form say 1/50 seconds to 1/8 seconds at a lower ISO setting.

However, for the longer exposure time (1/8 second), you need to keep the camera perfectly steady to avoid a blurred image and the only way to keep it perfectly steady is by using a tripod

Also, this holds true only for static subjects

Thanks for the info super.

BTW can u tell me how much will a new tripod cost.

I have a old tripod with me but still will like to know how much wud a new one cost.

Also do we have high speed sd/mmc cards available here in mumbai.

and cost of it for 1 and 2 gb models.

Canon / Fuji / Nikon.

Panasonic .. i was gifted one. The Lumix FX-7. It sux.

Sony DSC-W5.. Owned one. Its good. But bulky.

Nikon.. ULTIMATE. Will surely own a Nikon next whenever i think of upgrading the cam. Maybe after 7-8 yrs ;)

Fuji.. Almost as good as Nikon.

I just bought Sony DSC-N1, and I think its the current rocker in Sony non-SLR cameras.

8.1 MP, 1/1.8" Touch screen CCD,
Optical Zoom : 3 X
Digital Zoom : 6 X

It's the coolest and the most costly gadget I have.

Back