Storage Solutions Whats the difference between Pen Drive and Flash Drive

Basically pendrive/flash drive/thumb drive/usb Flast drive are products build from a memory technology called as Flash memory. Manufacturers use these different terms for their flash memory based products.

So a pendrive is nothing but a Flash memory with a USB interface. The memory cards used in your mobiles are also based on flash memory. only their their interface is different.

For more/technical detail on Flash memory, refer:

USB flash drive - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and

Flash memory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

pen drive is a flash drive.

but not all flash drives are pen drives.

any device that uses flash memory as storage is called flash drive.

Memory cards are also flash drives.

Thanks guys for the info.

Once I got fooled by chinese pen drive which was so cheap and saying 32GB kingston!

I bought it but it was fake. No data was storing on it except folder and file names which where empty. :(

Here is the answer:)

A flash drive is a storage device that uses flash memory rather than conventional spinning platters to store data.

Sometimes referred to as a jumpdrive, the pen drive is a portable USB flash memory device that can be used to quickly transfer audio, video, and data files from the hard drive of one computer to another. With a construction that is small enough to fit into a pocket, the pen drive derives its name from the fact that many of these USB drive devices resemble a small pen or pencil in size and shape.

@matrixvipin

That 32GB kingston is a big scam. Even here in China, shopkeepers are advising against kingston. Most of them stock sandisk, pny and others and only a few have kingston. Here kingston pen drives are available in subways stations, these guys just put a paper on the floor and display those 32g, 64g, 128g and even 320g pen drives :p

matrixvipin said:
Thanks guys for the info.

Once I got fooled by chinese pen drive which was so cheap and saying 32GB kingston!

I bought it but it was fake. No data was storing on it except folder and file names which where empty. :(

Kingston 32GB PD is a big time scam,stay away from it.

Back