What to keep in mind before getting a fiber connection?

abmr2d2

Disciple
My BSNL ADSL connection has finally breathed its last. Was informed by the lineman that the copper cable has been damaged and it is very likely that the cable will not be repaired. I believe my ADSL connection/landline was the lonely holdout in our area. BSNL is converting its copper landline connections to fiber connections wherever feasible.

There are a couple of options before me:
1) Check with BSNL regarding the feasibility of a fiber connection FTTH to my home.​
OR​
2) Go with the local cablewalla who provides unlimited internet in the building through ethernet. Have heard that he might provide fiber to home too I think.​
No JIO/Airtel fiber connection in my area.

This is my first time getting a fiber connection. What questions should I ask regarding a fiber connection to the provider and what should I do/ensure when getting a fiber connection?
My usage is fairly typical Netflix/YouTube, browsing, zoom/Google meet calls, VPN/TOR usage, downloading via torrents etc. I have one router and one ADSL modem/router which provide Wi-Fi and ethernet connections. There are around 10-12 devices (which include SBCs, NAS, mobiles, PCs which connect to the access points

Some questions which come to mind are
1) Is the connection truly unlimited? What is the FUP limit?​
2) What kind of on premises equipment will be supplied?​
3) Will I be given admin access to the on premises equipment?​
4) Will the internet be interrupted when power fails? ADSL used to work even in case of power failure.​

Has someone taken a BSNL FTTH connection? Do I need to pay for laying the optical fiber cable to my premises in case of BSNL? the ADSL line men talked about paying cash to the installation guys but I had read somewhere that all the charges get adjusted in the first bill. Can some who has taken a BSNL fiber connection share their experience.
Would really appreciate guidance about things to enquire/ensure before taking a fiber connection.

2) Go with the local cablewalla who provides unlimited internet in the building through ethernet. Have heard that he might provide fiber to home too I think.
Strongly recommend against this. These guys are worthless, don't maintain their equipment properly, and oversell their capacity. Frequent downtime and extended delays in repairs because of the maintenance, and shitty speeds because they only bought, say, 1gbps from their upstream provider and sold it to 10000 people.

Do you live in an apt complex or a house? You might want to ask if whatever equipment they have at the complex or building level (not on your premises) will have power backup or not. In my complex, Airtel has installed backup for their stuff so that the internet doesn't go out in the 10-15s it takes for the society genset to kick on.

I've never seen or heard of any ISP denying admin for the CPE. Keep in mind though that they also will most likely have remote admin access to the GPON.

If you state your city, someone may be able to provide recs for or against specific ISPs.

BSNL Fibre is great. No loss of speed anywhere but downtime happens at least once every week but only for short duartion only.
Take 100MBPS plan or highest plan which is 200MBPS plan which ever pleases you.
We have 100 MBPS or 200MBPS plans only here in Anupuram, Kanchipuram, TN.
I am on 100MBPS plan and am getting around 110 MBs in Steam downloads.

Last edited:
4) Will the internet be interrupted when power fails? ADSL used to work even in case of power failure.
As long as the device the fiber cable is connected to is powered, you will get internet. This might be in your home, or somewhere central.
With copper connection, every switch/repeater needs to have backup. Since fibre can run longer, only the endpoints need power

Do I need to pay for laying the optical fiber cable to my premises in case of BSNL? the ADSL line men talked about paying cash to the installation guys but I had read somewhere that all the charges get adjusted in the first bill.
Cash paid to govt employess without a bill should be considered as tips/bribes/scams.
Unless they give you a bill of X metres of fibre cable for installation, you don't need to pay for it.
If possible, buy a fibre to ethernet media converter on your own and use it with a proper router, don't go for the ISP provided all in one device.

The best thing is fiber cable for stablr internet but have to deal with maintenance with BSNL or cable guy which are almost same because BSNL leases their system to local vendors. So maintenance depends on local vendor in both but BSNL has a little control if the JE SDO wants to work.
Your second option is to get jio air fiber which will come with TV channels so it will be costly but will be balanced because you will be saving from TV recharge.
BSNL connection price depends on the will of vendor whether he gives free connection or charge your 5-10 thousands. Check with all three and get which has better price.
Air fiber will not have stability of wired fiber but you don't need any maintenance and will work in power failure if you have inveter.
BSNL and cable connection will depend upon the vendor if he is good can maintain the connectivity or not.

Can I just say, "Air Fiber" is an absolutely trash misnomer for that service. It's FWA, not fiber at all, and using that is a marketing lie on Jio's part.
The base stations that I get network on my phone with are fed with fiber too - should I say I get a fiber conection to my phone?

Thanks guys for responding.:)
Strongly recommend against this. These guys are worthless, don't maintain their equipment properly, and oversell their capacity. Frequent downtime and extended delays in repairs because of the maintenance, and shitty speeds because they only bought, say, 1gbps from their upstream provider and sold it to 10000 people.

Do you live in an apt complex or a house? You might want to ask if whatever equipment they have at the complex or building level (not on your premises) will have power backup or not. In my complex, Airtel has installed backup for their stuff so that the internet doesn't go out in the 10-15s it takes for the society genset to kick on.
@calvin1719 I'm located at Kalyan near Mumbai. I stay in a flat and no genset backup in our building. Most of the residents have taken the cable wallas net connection. I'll have a word with them too regarding their experience.

BSNL Fibre is great. No loss of speed anywhere but downtime happens at least once every week but only for short duartion only.
Take 100MBPS plan or highest plan which is 200MBPS plan which ever pleases you.
We have 100 MBPS or 200MBPS plans only here in Anupuram, Kanchipuram, TN.
I am on 100MBPS plan and am getting around 110 MBs in Steam downloads.
@bssunilreddy I'll enquire with the local BSNL exchange here. Their service appears dependable but they too have outsourced the laying of the cables and management of the fiber broadband to a third party vendor/contractor. Will have to check if they are going to charge me for the cable etc. and what will be the total charges will be. Their tariff plans appear to be good.
Cash paid to govt employess without a bill should be considered as tips/bribes/scams.
Unless they give you a bill of X metres of fibre cable for installation, you don't need to pay for it.
If possible, buy a fibre to ethernet media converter on your own and use it with a proper router, don't go for the ISP provided all in one device.
@n1r0 I'll check with the BSNL guys. Any recommendations regarding the fiber to ethernet media converter.?

I'll keep posting the updates

BSNL is typical babudom...They have contracted the laying of fiber and management of fiber connections to private contractors over whom they have no control. When I first visited the BSNL office they readily took my number and said they will convert my adsl connection to fiber retaining the same number and I was delighted.
Having rcvd no response from them after 2-3 days and my calls to the private contractor going unanswered visited the BSNL office again where I was told that they are helpless. " Agar aapke yaha connection feasible hota to woh (private contractor) aapko phone kar deta. Ab uske pass 2-3 faults aaye hai aap ek hafta call expect mat karo." wow!! They should be professional enough to clear up the feasibility and inform the customer about this.... Anyway why I am I expecting this from a Govt org?
They asked me to surrender my phone connected and make alternative arrangements for net connectivity :)

Long story short: decided to go with the local cable wallah for now...He has an option for a fiber connection to home.

Any recommendations for a fiber router keeping future proof nature in mind?
Is there any info that needs to be gotten from the cable guy before deciding to get a fiber router?

Back