Storage Solutions What is Frag Shield?

I just installed Diskeeper pro,on my C drive everything is healthy, on my D it recomnds me to run a frag shield, what is a frag shield & how do you run it?

C drive

D drive

Thnx in advance for your help!

A new feature in Diskeeper Professional Edition 9, Frag Shield can analyze the MFT and paging file and provides the tools to quickly and easily configure them for optimal performance and to minimize fragmentation per Microsoft’s published guidelines. Frag Shield consists of two separate tools; the MFT Configuration Tool and the Paging File Configuration Tool. The MFT Configuration Tool allows you to extend the size of the MFT contiguously, so when it grows in the future it will not be fragmented. Frag Shield recommends how much you should increase, or “pad†the MFT by analyzing and estimating the number of files that could occupy the disk (it makes this estimate on the current average file size and available free space). You can also manually enter how many files you estimate that could occupy the drive, if you wish.

Frag Shield’s Paging File Configuration Tool uses Microsoft’s recommendations in the optimum size of the paging file that strikes a balance between performance and disk space usage:

“You can also determine the appropriate size of a paging file by multiplying the Paging File\% Usage Peak counter value by the size of Pagefile.sys. The % Usage Peak counter indicates how much of the paging file is being used. Consider expanding the page file whenever either this counter reaches 70 percent of the total size in bytes of all paging files or the Memory\% Committed Bytes In Use counter reaches 85 percent, whichever occurs first.â€

Frag Shield analyzes these counters to computer the optimal size of the paging file and allows you change the size of the paging file appropriately, in addition to giving you data on your system’s memory usage that can also help you choose the right values for initial and maximum page file size values.

source - http://barrys-rigs-n-reviews.com/reviews/2004/utilities/dsk90pro/dsk90pro1.htm

hope it helped :)

Back