Windows Wake Up by RTC Alarm Problem

EHH

Disciple
I had enabled my PC to automatically boot up using 'wake up by RTC alarm' (MSI Tomahawk Max B450) every morning at say 9 AM.

Every evening I shut down the PC and switch-off the power supply from wall.

I switch-on the power supply after some hours in the night.

Will/should 'wake up by RTC alarm' work in such a case ?

At my end it works only if the power supply is never switched off.

If I switch off the power supply and switch it on then the 'wake up by RTC alarm' fails to boot the PC as intended, as if the 'wake up by RTC alarm' was reset. The BIOS continues to show wake time up as 9 AM.

I had also replaced cmos battery but nothing changed.

Any suggestions ?

There might be a flag or something that's set to false when you switch off the mains.

Anyway, have you plugged PC directly to main power supply? Don't do that. Ideally you should be using UPS and/or a spike guard.

Wall outlet should be on esp. when the powering/power-on rtc time is nearing.
But if the wall outlet needs to be manually turned-on then whats the purpose of setting-up rtc power alarms?
The sole purpose is to have the system powered-on on self without any human intervention.

This works in computer labs and server room when during a scheduled period systems are to be powered-on and off without requiring human activity.

Wall outlet should be on esp. when the powering/power-on rtc time is nearing.
But if the wall outlet needs to be manually turned-on then whats the purpose of setting-up rtc power alarms?
The sole purpose is to have the system powered-on on self without any human intervention.

This works in computer labs and server room when during a scheduled period systems are to be powered-on and off without requiring human activity.
The power supply is shut for around 5 hours in the evening and on weekends (Friday eve till Sun eve). I need the PC to auto boot at 9am Monday through Friday as I am not around/available at that time. My query was, in the said condition/situation is my PC/WRTC behaving correctly, if not then what could be the reason ?

The power supply is shut for around 5 hours in the evening and on weekends (Friday eve till Sun eve). I need the PC to auto boot at 9am Monday through Friday as I am not around/available at that time. My query was, in the said condition/situation is my PC/WRTC behaving correctly, if not then what could be the reason ?
If you can shell some money, buy a smart plug. I'd recommend a polycab 10/16a smart plug, they support custom schedules. Set your pc to turn on when it receives power (bios option).

This is how i run my snapshot server, plug turns on at 11 30pm, snapshot runs at 12, server shuts down at 5am, plug turns off at 6am.

I have a similar question. I have this motherboard

But dont know how to turn on my PC every morning using BIOS settings ?
At present, pc turns off automatically every morning at 5:10 AM with a task made in task scheduler.

If you can shell some money, buy a smart plug. I'd recommend a polycab 10/16a smart plug, they support custom schedules. Set your pc to turn on when it receives power (bios option).

This is how i run my snapshot server, plug turns on at 11 30pm, snapshot runs at 12, server shuts down at 5am, plug turns off at 6am.
If the power (wall plug) is switched off and then switched on, wakeupRTC fails to boot the PC at specified time. As long as the power (wall plug) remains switched on continuously for the week, WRTC works fine.
I have a similar question. I have this motherboard

But dont know how to turn on my PC every morning using BIOS settings ?
At present, pc turns off automatically every morning at 5:10 AM with a task made in task scheduler.
Go through https://www.msi.com/faq/mb-918 for idea.

Last edited:
If the power (wall plug) is switched off and then switched on, wakeupRTC fails to boot the PC at specified time. As long as the power (wall plug) remains switched on continuously for the week, WRTC works fine.

Go through https://www.msi.com/faq/mb-918 for idea.
Thanks @EHH
I just queried using the title of page you posted above and found link to my answer - https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1043640/

Followed everything as per Asus link, but the PC wont start automatically after shut down.. (power buttons are kept on)

Last edited:
With the bios option I suggested, you don't need wake up by RTC. The pc powers on if it detects that power has resumed.

There is another option in BIOS... Power on state after power failure. Or similar... It's usually set to stay off. Can change to "previous state" or similar?

Back