Value For Money PC @ 35K

st00pfie

Disciple
Hi all,

I know this is kinda early in the day to be asking for suggestions but to be honest, i'm confused (staying up the whole night reading the various Pc buying threads didn't help). Have to buy a pc for a cousin who's doing some 'multimedia' course. Going to Nehru Place in 4 hours or so. Would like the best bang for the buck in the budget of 35K Will be taking a quick look at this thread before going out the door ( need to squeeze in some sleep between now and then). Any and all help appreciated !

Here's the template filled up.

Questions

Q: What is your budget?
Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
Starting from scratch minus UPS and speakers
Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
Will be keeping the old UPS and speakers
Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
CPU - Intel i3 (i5 would be out of reach i guess)/ AMD with similar performance to i3
Motherboard - any compatible motherboard
GPU - Depends on which proccy/mobo combo i go for, whatever is left after the rest of the config is accounted for can be dumped here.
PSU - Gigabyte Superb 460/FSP Saga II/Corsair CX400
Cabinet - Bijli/CM Elite 310/ NZXT Gamma
HDD - 1TB Seagate 7200 rpm
Monitor - Dell/BenQ 22" ( if within budget, smaller if not)
RAM - Corsair 2*2GB (or just 2gb for now)
Mouse and Keyboard - Logitech multimedia keyboard

Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
Yes, no upgrades in the foreseeable future
Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
Nehru Place. Mo option for online purchase
Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
No
Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
General purpose use with a little av editing thrown in
Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
None
Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
FPS games mostly
Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
Gaming - As long as the game runs smoothly, eye candy can be sacrificed
Desktop - Native resolution
Q: Are you looking to overclock?
No
Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
Windows 7 32/64 bit

If there are better alternatives for the components i've zeroed in on above, please do tell.

Thanks for reading !!

Components Description Price (INR)
Processor Core i3-2100 5800
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2-B3 3500
RAM Corsair 4GB DDRIII 1333MHz 2000
HDD Seagate 1TB 7200.12 2750
GPU MSI Cyclone OC HD6850 1GB GDDR5 PE 10200
Monitor Benq G2220HD 7350
Cabinet NZXT Gamma 2200
PSU/SMPS Corsair CX400 2500
Key Board Logitech SET - Optical Blk Mouse+ MMKB 700
Mouse NA -
ODD LG 22X SATA DVD 950
Total 37950

Still it comes more than your budget!
You can try to cut the cost by going for a 20" Dell IN2020M ~ 6.25k. Normal Sapphire HD6850 ~ 9.5k and CM Elite 310 ~ 1.5k
So total of 1.1+0.7+0.7 -> 2.5k could be saved. This way the cost comes down to ~35.45k

excellent config da.

he can cut even 4k by going for 5770.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

6850 for occasional gaming seems kind of over shoot.

Thanks a lot, DarkAngel. I know the smaller the budget the harder we need to weigh our options. The cousin called up just now to postpone the buy for tomorrow So i guess we have a few more hours now. Unfortunately, the budget is strictly 35K. Should i change just the 6850 to 5770 to stay within target or would a different/slightly cheaper proccy/combo keeping the 6850 ( i also wannna keep this..lol) be bottlenecked ?
Any more thoughts would be welcome.

@pratikb Good call on the 5770. Thanks !

Turns out i have to go to NP anyway to help another cousin with a lappy purchase.

If you are going to game @ 1600*900 resolution then HD5770 ~ 6.9k should do fine. But for fullHD gaming it doesnt cut it.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. The cousin changed his mind (again!) and met me at NP while i was buying the laptop.
Settled for the following config from SMC. Was wondering if a Phenom/AMD setup might provide more VFM but already bought the stuff so won't split hairs about it now.
i3 2100 - 5476
Gigabyte H61M-D2-B3 - 3142
G.Skill 2*2GB 1600 Mhz - 2285
CM Elite 310 - 1428
WD 1 TB - 2619
HP DVD Writer - 952
Dell 22" ST2220M - 7619
MSI N550 GTX-Ti-1GbGDDR5-Cyclone - 7857
CM Real GX 450W - 3142
Logitech Mouse/Keyboard Combo - 700
( all VAT inclusive)
He didn't have the 6850( was quoting 9.8) Was gonna settle for the 5770 (6,800) but then he brought out the 550GTX. A higher price ( ~1 K more) and the "GTX" got me convinced it was a better card. Just checked the comparison on the net now which tells me i could've gone for the 5770 and saved 1K :( He didn't have any of the PSUs i wanted except a Tacens Lucero 600W with 2 yrs warranty for 2.8K so i went for the CM instead. Since it's a GX series(5 yrs warranty) i assumed it should be good. Moreover since i won't be adding more hardware, 450W should be enough. Damn, having to decide on the spot without any reviews to base my decision upon is tough ! Almost always end up buying like this. You come all prepared with a config and availability turns all your plans topsy-turvy. Actually, i went a lil overboard with the PSU and GFX card cos in the initial estimate Sainiji forgot to include the price for the i3! lol which brought the total to around 38K. He told the accountant to gave me good prices, i believe to fit into my budget or as close as possible. Been bringing customers there for 5/6 yrs now. It's a pleasure dealing with him .

Also got the Acer 5742G for 36K ( with 1 yr extended warranty, 34.8K without). It has i5 480M, Geforce GT540M, 3gb DDR3, 500Gb HDD, wifi- n, Win7 Home Premium. Deciding factor was the switchable graphics.
All in all , not bad buys for both i suppose. Thanks again all specially @DarkAngel !

@stoopfie. Good choice of components. GPU too is pretty Okish if not excellent VFM.
Plus you got a decent PSU in the form of GX450 (Best of the CM GX series) instead of settling for a bad one. So overall good rig considering the choice of components you had :)

@DarkAngel Nice to have your decision validated by someone who knows his stuff :)

@touzeen . Sure, i could've saved a few hundred bucks but seeing as how i could've saved 1K but didn't, i'm gonna overlook that :D

Back