Vada-pav vs Katrina chaos

TheBroker

Skilled
A piece of news i found on an orkut forum :hap5: :hap5: :hap5:
MUMBAI: In New Orleans there was shooting and looting when the floods came last week. When a similar inundation struck Mumbai a month earlier, there was no violence, just free vada-pav.
Residents say street vendors passed out the vadapav to their fellow citizens wading through waist-high water in a sign that the disaster brought the city together rather than tearing it apart as appeared to happen in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina.

The response seems to symbolise what South Asians say is the region’s familiarity with, and resilience in the face of, numerous natural calamities.

"What we are seeing in USA is complete chaos," said Farida Lambe, vicepresident of the Nirmala Niketan

College of Social Work which helped in relief and rehabilitation work during the Mumbai floods. "My assessment is that many of the problems arose as the people are not used to facing calamities. They expect complete efficiency and find it difficult to cope if it does not come about."

Mumbai police commissioner AN Roy confirmed there were no cases of looting, arson or violence when the floods hit.

"Even stray cases of robbery were not heard or reported," he said.

India has regularly faced natural disasters from earthquakes, storms and floods during monsoon. As a result, it has developed rapid responses for shelter and relief that while not wholly successful for long-term rehabilitation, have enabled them to handle immediate needs quickly.
Source

Rep me if u like ;)

awww...isn't that nice... Admin Edit: REMOVED COMMENTS

"Residents say street vendors passed out the vadapav to their fellow citizens wading through waist-high water in a sign that the disaster brought the city together rather than tearing it apart as appeared to happen in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina."

Just a little rain and you call it a disaster?....on that note I hear the suns going to rise tomorrow...

What shall we do!?!...should we prepare for this disaster?

Admin Edit: Decadent_Spectre please keep your emotions under control. Its been noted you are continuously violating the forum rules. I suggest that you spare some time and read them before you post again.

Decadent_Spectre said:
Just a little rain and you call it a disaster?....on that note I hear the suns going to rise tomorrow...

What shall we do!?!...should we prepare for this disaster?

Tototally agree with spectre.

Ppl gave vada pavs bcoz they had plenty of vada pavs to distribute. Now imagine whole mumbai was without food, then what would have happened.

Pplshould stop posting such lame threads, you just cannot compare mumbai with new orleans n rain with hurricane.

Hey, that feeling is kinda good for Indians; but same doesn't apply to Americans...
Also, nationalism is not allowed on the board, I guess... :huh: :whistling:

Back