USB controlled Main power socket

frozenscotch

Disciple
Hi,
I want to control the power supply to an appliance using my laptop, and could not find any such solution. There is one but not available in India , here is the link to it

1709809284843.png
1709809258050.png

Please let me know if anybody came across such utility

Thanks

I highly doubt you need USB control, there must be a better alternative,

You are having a hard time finding this because with USB protocol it quickly becomes less practical because USB cable doesn't work over long distances by default.

So having a USB controlled switch over 1-2 meter distance doesn't make much sense.

is smart plug not an option? you can use your phone to control it.
This is what I searched first, a smart plug with wired control but all are wifi controlled, wifi is not possible in my use case

I highly doubt you need USB control, there must be a better alternative,

You are having a hard time finding this because with USB protocol it quickly becomes less practical because USB cable doesn't work over long distances by default.

So having a USB controlled switch over 1-2 meter distance doesn't make much sense.
USB is not mandatory. Just need any plug which can be controlled from a laptop port for ON and OFF , it can be usb or serial.
My laptop will be placed beside my equipment, so no issue of distance

USB is not mandatory. Just need any plug which can be controlled from a laptop port for ON and OFF , it can be usb or serial.
My laptop will be placed beside my equipment, so no issue of distance
I see.

Or just a USB powered/controlled relay?

https://robu.in/product/usb-pc-intelligent-control-module-2-channel-5v-relay-module/

Just connect the relay contacts inline between a socket and a plug.
Don't buy this one, I couldn't find a simple nice interface to control this relay in windows, this only has linux driver and also no GUI.

Buy this one
https://robu.in/product/usb-control-module-1-channel-5v-relay-module/

1709836274250.png

It has super easy software to control it, which works on windows.

Looks something like this.

1709836032708.png

You have to wire up the socket to the relay, the important point is you have to place the relay on the live wire, not the neutral wire. I also recommend a manual switch in series, so you can also turn it on and off from it.

Connect wires on the COM and NO pins.

You will have to use A-Male to B-Male printer cable to connect it to PC.

Also don't do it if you are not confident working with live voltages.

This is what I searched first, a smart plug with wired control but all are wifi controlled, wifi is not possible in my use case
You will need one which supports Home Assistant. Then install Home Assistant via Docker or a VM on your laptop. Then you can control the outlet using the Home Assistant webui. This assumes that your laptop is on the same network as the smart plug.

Last edited:
Back