Storage Solutions USB 3.2 for pen drives

Mentioning USB 3.2 for these drives with upto 5 Gbps bandwidth is so misleading. They don't even touch 15 MBps and are much slower than USB 2.0 drives. The supported interface is pointless.
From reviews I can see that the 32G version does 100MB/s reads and 40MB/s writes, in the seq 1GB x5 test. The 128G version should perform even better. 100+ is already higher than the theoretical throughout of USB2.0 .

From reviews I can see that the 32G version does 100MB/s reads and 40MB/s writes, in the seq 1GB x5 test. The 128G version should perform even better. 100+ is already higher than the theoretical throughout of USB2.0 .
It won't. More specifically, every ssd/flash drive storage come with a very fast cache. The benchmarking tool using seq 1GB file test with 5 passes usually get good results because of this cache. That is why one should always test with a file size x Pass that exceeds cache size in such benchmark tools to measure real world performance(I suggest choosing 8GB file with 5 passes which at a total of 40GB would certainly exceed any cache on a 128GB drive).

It won't. More specifically, every ssd/flash drive storage come with a very fast cache. The benchmarking tool using seq 1GB file test with 5 passes usually get good results because of this cache. That is why one should always test with a file size x Pass that exceeds cache size in such benchmark tools to measure real world performance(I suggest choosing 8GB file with 5 passes which at a total of 40GB would certainly exceed any cache on a 128GB drive).
This is true for even high end SSDs, they can't sustain 7000MB/s writes for larger transfer sizes. Should they not be called gen 4x4 drives then? The argument here is not if they can sustain 40MB/s for the entirety of 32G space, but rather is the flash drive fast enough to utilise the interface provided, which it is.

This is true for even high end SSDs, they can't sustain 7000MB/s writes for larger transfer sizes. Should they not be called gen 4x4 drives then? The argument here is not if they can sustain 40MB/s for the entirety of 32G space, but rather is the flash drive fast enough to utilise the interface provided, which it is.
The point to focus on here is "expected performance for typical usage". All 7000MB/s write claiming drives can sustain that speed for few minutes resulting in a total data transfer of at least 25-30% of the drive capacity & which is something a typical user rarely do. On the other hand, somebody using 128GB pen drive is likely expecting to get at least 25-30MB/s speeds(which is usb 2.0 level btw) on a 20-25GB video file/files(again something expected from someone buying such pen drive) & not getting it. I never contested the "claim" of usb 3 pen drive, I am merely telling to lower "expectations".

Back