USB 3.0 HUB Suggestions Please?

Emperor

Skilled
Hello Friends,

Wish to buy USB HUB with 1 meter long cable (Not interested in 15 or 30 cm cable), as Cabinet Front USB Ports are near to die & Back Side USB 2.0 & 3.0 Port on Motherboard working perfectly OK.
  1. Portronics Mport 4A USB 3.0 Hub High Speed Rs.699/-
  2. Portronics Mport 4A USB 3.0 Hub (4-in-1) Multiport Adapter with Upto 5 Gbps High-Speed Rs.699/-
  3. Honeywell Momentum USB 3.0 Hub, 1.2M Cable, Max Current 900mA Rs.749/-
  4. QZ USB Hub 3.1 for Laptop high Speed Rs.785/-
Which one should I go with from above?

If you want a reliable performance from the USB hub, including support harddisks and possibly usb charging support, Buy an Active powered usb hub, i.e the hub is powered externally.
Few options are Hub from QZ and Tp-Link.
Without active power only low powered devices or couple of port at a time may work reliably.

If you want a reliable performance from the USB hub, including support harddisks and possibly usb charging support, Buy an Active powered usb hub, i.e the hub is powered externally.
Few options are Hub from QZ and Tp-Link.
Without active power only low powered devices or couple of port at a time may work reliably.
wish to run USB WiFi Dongle (1st Port), Pendrive (2nd Port), Mobile Data/charger (in 3rd & 4th Port).
At present don't have HDD to run from hub, about future.. don't know

Last edited:
Then you definitely need a powered USB hub like this TP-Link Powered USB Hub with 7 Data Smart Charging USB 3.0 Ports @ 1.8k + 10% discount

Unpowered ports are good only for low powered devices like pen drives, keyboard/mouse (non RGB ones)

Another option is to just run extension cords to the back
I already have USB Extension Cord for existing USB 2.0 HUB (Generic Brand), but some time (with Extension Cord or Direct on Board USB PORT Connection), windows give error message like "USB Device not recognized" , and once I shift USB WiFi Adapter from one socket to another socket of same USB HUB, all works perfectly ok.

So in great dilemma that what is NOT WORKING or something is ABOUT TO FAIL?, either USB 2.0 HUB or Generic WiFi Dongle.

Any input from you or any other member will be great help and can guide me to buy EXACT what is needed. (either USB 3.0 HUB or WiFi Dongle by TpLink)

Thanks for your input

Don't use the hub for charging your phone. For all other uses (including data transfer for phone), a regular hub will be just fine.
Ok, noted down suggestion about phone charging.

by regular hub, you mean GENERIC USB 2.0 HUB that I'm using at present?

Last edited:
...windows give error message like "USB Device not recognized" , and once I shift USB WiFi Adapter from one socket to another socket of same USB HUB, all works perfectly ok.
WiFi dongles need more power, cheap extensions/hubs will reduce voltage. Best option is to get a powered hub that will let you use any device reliably.

For reference I have a ton of USB 2.0/1.1 devices hooked up to the linked hub just because I was having random issues with unpowered 2.0 hubs

WiFi dongles need more power, cheap extensions/hubs will reduce voltage. Best option is to get a powered hub that will let you use any device reliably.

For reference I have a ton of USB 2.0/1.1 devices hooked up to the linked hub just because I was having random issues with unpowered 2.0 hubs
how if I use USB Cable Extension to connect WiFi Dongle (Like This) direct with Motherboard USB Port at back panel/side of Cabinet? So it will get Direct Power/Connection from Motherboard?

how if I use USB Cable Extension to connect WiFi Dongle (Like This) direct with Motherboard USB Port at back panel/side of Cabinet? So it will get Direct Power/Connection from Motherboard?
I'd suggest:
  • you connect the dongle directly to either a port on the back or the front of the CPU, wherever you get good signal
  • For pen drives and such you can use extension cables
  • For charging, use a dedicated charger.

Basically avoid unpowered hubs for high power devices.

I'd suggest:
  • you connect the dongle directly to either a port on the back or the front of the CPU, wherever you get good signal
  • For pen drives and such you can use extension cables
  • For charging, use a dedicated charger.

Basically avoid unpowered hubs for high power devices.
  1. If, I connect Dongle on Back side of cabinet, it's direction is just opposite & hidden to the Router, so signal loss issue is there and front usb panel of cabinet are not reliable any more as cabinet is very old
  2. Using Extension cable (from back of Cabinet) to connect WiFi dongle and today all is OK from Signal to Fast connectivity
  3. No more charging from USB HUB, as I understood that USB HUB are not made for high power devices

Just my 2 cents , using a orico usb 3 hub with 4 ports and it can use micro USB for power , but hdd 3.5 or 2.5 are not recommended as they often disconnect even though the hub is powered and the 3.5 hdd has its own power supply . Hence I use only for usb drives and mice . To connect an hdd best option is directly to pc. These ports use inferior chipsets . If u need a reliable port you need to search for the branded ones at 5k and above . My orrico is lying unused due to this . As the main purpose was to add 4 or atleast 3 external powered hdds with the hub itself getting power form its own micro USB charger connected to a wall outlet .

Back