[Urgent] Tablet advice + Question regarding DHL shipping to India

rajorshi

Disciple
Hi guys,

Need a bit of urgent advice. I'm planning to buy a tablet soon. I've finalized on either the Ainol Novo 7 ELF or the Onda VX610W

The former is available on an aliexpress.com seller for about 7.5k including DHL shipping. I called up DHL customer care, and to my surprise, he said that customs duty would DEFINITELY be levied upon import of electronics items to India.

I'm surprised because I've imported many media players and such with China post/ HK post free shipping from sites like dealextreme and focalprice, with no customs issues ever (though everything was well below $100).

Do you guys have any experience on this - importing electronics items using anything other that china/HK post - such as DHL/UPS/Fedex etc?

If you guys say that customs duties are indeed inevitable, I'll probably go for the Onda VX610w which is currently on sale for $99.99 on merimobiles.com including free chinapost shipping (and ends TODAY!! - hence the urgency)

Thanks in advance!

~Raj

DHL/Fedex will always charge duty. They will always pay duty and will charge you duty +300-400 Rs as clearance charge from you.

They paid duty for some free sample of IC sent to me. I had to pay 500 & 700 Rs. for some samples which were sent free of cost and even the sender paid the courier charges. And the best part of it is if I bought those ICs from market they would not cost me more than 500 Rs in any case.

Ah.. thanks for the info tech.addict. Since this item costs some 7k, I'm sure the duty + charges would be no less than 1.5-2k - which makes the whole thing pointless
<

Long live free chinapost/hkpost shipping. Good thing is dealextreme/focalprice undervalue the items - they put some $20 value ("e-reader" lol) - and touch wood, I've always received those parcels.

Bye bye Ainol Novo 7 Elf :-(

Back