PC Peripherals UPS Advice

uzerdelhi

Disciple
I live in Noida (UP) and there are a lot of power cuts so i need a UPS. I have a 650va UPS but it simply shuts off instead of keeping my system on when i'm gaming.

My specs are as follows:
Intel i5 12400f
Asus prime b660m-a D4 motherboard
1x 16gb Corsair vengeance 3600mhz
GTX 960 (will be upgrading it to RTX 3070 so want a UPS according to it)
Cooler Master MWE 650 V2 Bronze

I assume i need a 1000va UPS and i shortlisted this one based on amazon review but idk which company / product is good

Any suggestions would be great

Is your need:
a) In event of a power cut I need enough time to save my work and shutdown the system gracefully.
OR
b) In the event of a power cut I need to able to continue to operate my system for a long period of time or till power is restored?

In case of a) you will need a properly rated UPS with small capacity batteries which will provide you with a small duration of time to save you work and shutdown the system properly.

In case of b) you will need a Inverter based system with large capacity lead-acid/SMF etc batteries which will allow you to function in spite of power-cuts.
The UPS that you have mentioned satisfies condition a).

650VA is roughly 300W so that's your reason of shutting off when on high load.
Buy https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01ELNPG2I

I also have 12400F and 3070. It keeps it on when on full stress load but that doesn't mean you can game on it even when power cuts.
It gives enough time to shut it off or use for some time on idle load like browsing.

If you want to game while power is out then you need to connect this UPS to an inverter so that the inverter provides power to UPS for longer duration.

Is your need:
a) In event of a power cut I need enough time to save my work and shutdown the system gracefully.
OR
b) In the event of a power cut I need to able to continue to operate my system for a long period of time or till power is restored?

In case of a) you will need a properly rated UPS with small capacity batteries which will provide you with a small duration of time to save you work and shutdown the system properly.

In case of b) you will need a Inverter based system with large capacity lead-acid/SMF etc batteries which will allow you to function in spite of power-cuts.
The UPS that you have mentioned satisfies condition a).
It's A, society's power backup turns on in like a min or two so just need it to hold on till then. Which ups would you suggest?
650VA is roughly 300W so that's your reason of shutting off when on high load.
Buy https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01ELNPG2I

I also have 12400F and 3070. It keeps it on when on full stress load but that doesn't mean you can game on it even when power cuts.
It gives enough time to shut it off or use for some time on idle load like browsing.

If you want to game while power is out then you need to connect this UPS to an inverter so that the inverter provides power to UPS for longer duration.
Is it better than the one I mentioned? Do I need extra 100va for 1000 extra rupees?

Is it better than the one I mentioned? Do I need extra 100va for 1000 extra rupees?
It's about efficiency, reliability and after sales. Buy whatever brand you trust.
Typically power factor is 0.6 so 1000VA would be 600W but you'll never get that 100% efficiency so maybe the UPS will trip around 480W (~80% eff.)

Yes....1000va will suffice, i have 1000va ups. It holds till power backup kicks in, but after 2 yrs battery replacement is required.

A couple of threads to check

I ended up buying a 1000VA CyberPower from MD, fwiw. Pretty happy with it, especially the feature to turn off beeping which means it doesn't wake me up at night (my pc is on 24/7).

It's about efficiency, reliability and after sales. Buy whatever brand you trust.
Typically power factor is 0.6 so 1000VA would be 600W but you'll never get that 100% efficiency so maybe the UPS will trip around 480W (~80% eff.)
I don't trust any of them lol
I currently have a microtek UPS which is the only brand among the UPS providers that i had ever heard of and which i'm not too happy with either. Do you have any suggestions?
Yes....1000va will suffice, i have 1000va ups. It holds till power backup kicks in, but after 2 yrs battery replacement is required.
Which brand?
A couple of threads to check

I ended up buying a 1000VA CyberPower from MD, fwiw. Pretty happy with it, especially the feature to turn off beeping which means it doesn't wake me up at night (my pc is on 24/7).
This one?
Ill probably end up getting this too then

I opted for the inverter route since my locality faces extended powercuts during summers. But additionally there are a lot of voltage fluctuations too (starts around evening). Now I am concerned if I need to add a stabilizer too. I plan to run it in ups mode all the time.

1. are inverters designed to handle voltage fluctuations?
2. do inverters connect back to the grid as soon as the voltage is in the input range in ups-mode/regulated mode?
3. would it be cheaper in the long run if I added a stabilizer? due to conversion involved in constant charging and discharging of the battery.

Last edited:
Back